New Year New Me....BS

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by BlackguyExecutive, Dec 17, 2015.

1. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Ok, friends here we are almost to that special time of year where people start professing their "New Year New Me" resolutions and proclamations. I was at a dinner party last night and I couldn't help myself but to laugh in this guys face and insert questions, as he began to explain how 2016 was somehow going to miraculously be different. I feel bad this morning, my husband and a couple of my friends thought I was a bit rude but I don't believe in playing along with someone's alternative reality. Why perpetuate a fantasy we all know will never actually come true. Isn't it better to give someone 100% real talk over simply nodding and playing along? Was I wrong to question how 2016 was going to be any different? Wouldn't you want your friends to be honest with you? Let me know y'alls thoughts on the NEW YEAR NEW ME Phenomenon.

[​IMG]

Rah Brown and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My only issue with what you said is the argument that it was the truth. You nor I or even your friend knows what 2016 will bring, and I think there is a line between living in an alternate reality and being optimistic about one's future, although I don't know what he was saying so that doesn't matter. I have a friend that would jokingly say all the time that I love to "stomp on people's dreams". I merely saw it as me being realistic and providing her with the proper view of seeing things, but as time goes on I've realized how much my pessimism and negativity has effected her...discouraging her in just a small way not to purse her goals. Long story short I don't think it was wrong of you to voice your opinion of the way things will be, but at the end of the day it's just that..your opinion..not necessarily the truth. I want my friends to be honest with me but I also want people that will inspire me to do my best.

Edit:
    I don't mean to sound preachy btw I completely understand your point and how you view things I just wanted to share my thoughts on it cause I just had a conversation about this recently.

#2 cypher21, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    grownman, Jdudre and bpaisle dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I think you are right. I don't believe I was being discouraging and I would never want to project that one shouldn't follow their dreams and feel supported. I guess my entire issue is that I never have bought into the notion that with the new year comes a miraculous transformation. I think that if you have goals and want to change your station, you shouldn't be waiting for the new year. You should be actively working towards something better each and every day. I am also a proponent of goal setting (short-term and long-term) where you can measure progress and reevaluate. I guess when I heard the "new year new me" I am thinking that that was probably your intentions last year. But I do feel bad, I actually think I am going to apologize for my sentiments.

[​IMG]

grownman, Jaa, bpaisle and 1 other person dapped this.
  4. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah again I didn't mean to come off as self righteous or anything lol I could totally see myself being that way to one of my friends if they were overly zealous for the New Year. I think for some you can't help but to look for hope during times like these. Winter can be a depressing season and it brings us momentary excitement.

grownman and Jaa dapped this.
  5. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I think very few people want blunt real talk in that kind of conversation, or will only readily accept it when it's presented in a very constructive manner (which may not be considered "real talk" if someone feels that they have to send their message through a mental filter before voicing it). I've heard numerous people talk about how they need to change their lives and are about to get started yet things remain the same for years or changes are relatively short-lived. I typically hold my tongue or occasionally try to ask questions that may inspire them to look back at their previous efforts, think about what didn't work or why they didn't go through with it, and realize they may want to change up their approach since it didn't work last time.

I believe most genuinely want to change but are not prepared or may lack the fortitude to make tough changes. I feel like real talkers and dreamers that talk but don't act tend to keep a distance from one another. The dream talk can become repetitive and annoying, and the bluntness may be considered rude or pessimistic even if honest. And I don't think you're the type but there are those who crap on others and excuse it by claiming that they're just keeping it real.

If I seek feedback, I want an honest answer, but I generally don't regarding my future because I can be fickle and don't want to be held accountable later. I'd rather make a decision, do it on my timeline and discuss it later rather than raise an idea, repeatedly change my mind and have people question what I'm doing. Of course, a vague, regularly changing timeline is often an excuse to procrastinate, something I personally need to improve.

#5 Jaa, Dec 17, 2015
    Jdudre and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  6. Dr. Strange

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I think is someone is genuine about the things they want to change then there's nothing wrong with that, in fact that should be encouraged. Just as long as one is realistic in their vision and methods.

Your reaction might have threw a monkey wrench into his plans.

7. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I wouldn't say you were wrong for questioning him as long as it didn't come off as discouraging. I mean, you didn't have to laugh in his face, but I'm imagining it was just a chuckle.
    Anyways, it's good to see people want better for themselves, so long as there's not too much emphasis on the "New Year", and not enough on the "New Me", which isn't gonna change anything but the date.

DreG and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  8. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    No it wasn't a full-gut belly laugh. It was more a smurk chuckle.
    [​IMG]

alton dapped this.
  9. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    This. Nothing magical is going to happen after you wake up up later on January 1. People often times have good intentions and that's great to have goals but few people sit down and figure out the part of it where they actually plan out how to achieve said goals.

"Imma eat right and get fit in xxxx! "

Ok great but tossing out all of your Oreos and filling your fridge with romaine lettuce and tilapia isn't the fix. There's more to it than that.

Or" Imma get my finances together "" Imma finally write that book "" Imma go back to school "

All of these are great. Just take time to figure out how you'll accomplish it with a plan, schedule and deadlines.

So I think the when this topic comes up just ask people...

"Ok cool! So what's your plan?/How are you planning to do [thing]?"

grownman, Jaa, DreG and 1 other person dapped this.
  10. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Sh!t, dude. Sometimes the "Smirk & Chuckle" can be worse than the outright laugh. I use the "Smirk & Chuckle" along with the "This $hit givin' Me a Headache" forehead touch QUITE frequently, myself, with the sole purpose of lettin' a muhf@ka know..."Ni@@a shut up, you full of $h!t".
    In some cases it's necessary, e.g....if you know someone thats 300+ lbs, and for the past 10 New Years they been saying "Maaaan. Ima drop this weight, New Year, New Body" and that person is STILL 300lbs, then I'm all for the "Smirk & Chuckle" and "This $hit Givin' Me a Headache", AAAND just to drive the point home throw in a "Mmpff...Lemme stretch and take in a deep breath, roll my eyes to the side, and roll 'em back at this ni@@a so he know Im bored with the Bull@hit". Just be prepared that this might just be the year you gotta eat your hat with a fork and a spoon, 'cause they might just drop that weight. LOL Not saying this is the situation you were in, I just use it because it's a very, very common New Year "resolution" that very few ever fulfill.

#10 alton, Dec 17, 2015
    Jaa and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  11. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    There's nothing about the new year that's different about today.If you're ready for change,I don't see why you can't jump on that asap.
    I think you shouldnt have laughed at the dude.If he's expressing a desire to improve he should be encouraged,even if he is acting like the new year is somehow going to sprinkle him with fairy dust that will make his goals more achievable.

12. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Folks already said it. I see it both ways. The New Year can definitely be a strong motivating factor to start new things. But if you were genuinely serious about making changes, you wouldn't need an arbitrary date to start. I figure I'll let people do what they want. I wouldn't have responded the way you did, but I don't knock you for it,

Jaa and DreG dapped this.
  13. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    If he's ur friend, then fuk it. He knows u.

But if its just another dinner party guest, u mighta been a lil not right

DreG dapped this.
  14. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    UPDATE:

So I apologized last night for my rude behavior. He accepted but didn't think an apology was required. He said he wasn't offended and he needs people to sometimes give him some tough support. All is good in my world again. Thank y'all for your advice and comments.

[​IMG]
    This was us last night.

Artistic Arsonist, Jaa and DreG dapped this.