Nigeria Sentences 4 Men to 7 Years in Prison for Homosexuality

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by OckyDub, Dec 6, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

A court in northern Nigeria has sentenced four men to prison for seven years for homosexuality.

The trial took place in Kano, the capital of Muslim-majority state Yobe. The defendants in the case were aged between 23 and 45.

Information Nigeria reported that “32-year old Sule Hassan admitted to having sex with a man simply identified as Tijjani because he was offered N500 and Ali Sheriff also confessed after several of his instant messages were presented in court.”

Protesting the convictions, LGBT rights website No Strings Nigeria said:

“This is completely unacceptable, as it is unreasonable to condemn two adults who in their right and sound minds, choose to privately engage in an affair that they deem pleasurable.”

Under Nigerian law, same-sex intimacy is punishable by up to 14 years in prison.

2. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    This is so unfortunate but not surprising. A lot of these laws were exported from the United States and people like me are working to advocate this is inhumane. There has been tremendous work from the US on this very issue. Hopefully, we can continue the work of putting pressure on these governments that are jailing LGBT people for being themselves.

Jdudre dapped this.
  3. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I know this this is kinda fucked up to say - but this is why i don't support african charities. i am not giving my hard earned cash to these idiots in the government of those countries to continue to do dumb shit like this. no ma'am!

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Unfortunately I'm not at all surprised by this. Many of not most African countries seem to be going backwards on this issue. But since the superstitious(religious) make rules concerning people's sexual behavior it's not gonna get better any time soon, since most Africans are firmly in the grip of the stupidity promoted by Abrahamic religion.

5. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Very sad to see this happen back home in Nigeria. Not sure when things will change but more youth are definitely more progressive than the older generation. So maybe in the next century. lol.

6. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Correction: Kano is the state capital of Kano state and Yobe is another different state with the Capital Damaturu, they are both located in Northern Nigeria.
    No NEWs here.''...because he was offered N500...'' he must have really been desperate because N500 would not get you further than a loaf of bread or some fruits. The Dollar equivalent would be $1.59, just let that sink in. Kano and other Northern states in Nigeria have one of the highest unemployment rates and poverty rates this is due to lack of education in this region and the young ones sent to Islamic schools. Where they are taught the Qur'an.

Lavas dapped this.
  7. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    The unfortunate thing is that getting 7 years in prison is the best thing that could happen in this situation considering the alternative is extreme torture or death. Prayers for my brothers in the motherland fighting against these injustices!

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  8. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Not to make light of this situation but I never understood sending the all the homosexuals to prison. Seems like that would be a good opportunity...just saying. <---please note this is me being an incredible simpleton.