Nigeria Unveils Largest Jesus Statue in Africa

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Jan 18, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Nigeria's population has 70% of its citizens living in poverty but yet they are building mega churches and erected a 30 foot tall 40 ton marble statue of a white Jesus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    SMH. :iverson2: Such an amazing culture and history just being a$$ f@#ked away by Christianity

grownman, Jdudre and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah Nigeria has many issues. I remember being back home in 2014 during the Christmas season and there are signs that say stuff like "God is in Nigeria" and other stuff like that but when I was looking around I thought to myself that He cannot be present here with the country landscape looks the way it does. There are good parts and bad parts of the country just like in the U.S. or any other country but yeah there are so many issues with bribery, corruption, lawlessness, infrastructure, and the list goes on and on.

grownman and Jdudre dapped this.
  4. TheEdge

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    This is probably a political move. Africans will endorse anything which has Jesus endorsed. My country which is in southern Africa was declared a christian nation. The president who declared this went on to almost rule for 3 terms contrary to the constitition.

grownman dapped this.
  5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Just what black people need more white Jeebus. No wonder we can never get ahead. Too many of us still cling to the idea that a white god is going to save us.

6. alton

Daps Received:
    Dude, I'm not even from Nigeria and this sh!t pisses me off. I remember back in the day, I was looking through some book with pictures from back in the day in the 1800s in some town in Nigeria, I think Lagos, and they have given a "Chieftancy" to some white man. I'm pretty sure that's how they started weasling Christianity into Nigeria in the first place back pre-slavery. Sweet talk your way into some form of "willfully given" authority, then start brainwashing the masses, starting with the "Upper mgmt" and workin your way down to the "Customer Service".

Cyrus-Brooks and Jdudre dapped this.
  7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    You know, I know many people who get online and thump the Bible and yet never take a second to think about when our ancestors had no knowledge of Christianity are all in and fully invested in the Kool Aid. The is why I have always questioned religion. What about what our ancestors believed in, if anything?

I just can't understand why or how anyone can go all in on any religion without question.

Cyrus-Brooks, grownman and Jdudre dapped this.
  8. alton

Daps Received:
    They're logic is "Jesus" pulled us "out of the jungle" and made opportunity for Us to have better lives. Yeah....Black Folk as a whole is livin REEEEEEAL good.
    [​IMG]

Cyrus-Brooks and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  9. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was there this Christmas, in Abuja, and I have resigned myself to the fact that Nigeria is a hopeless and lost country.They have ALWAYS held on to the delusion that God will come and save them from their problems. Countless prayer meetings 5 days of the week and vigils to ''Bind'' Boko Haram and yet they do not take action. They selectively use parts of the bible to either cover their ignorance or will to do nothing about their deep rooted issues, putting it all ''in the lords hands''. While the pastors siphon money from them by feeding on their desperation and thirst for over-night miracles. I could go on and on but I have decided that this year I would NOT waste any nerve endings thinking about Nigeria. A country that has never/nor will ever give a flying fuck about me. I am ashamed to say I am from Nigeria.

10. alton

Daps Received:
    Damn, man. It's really sad to see you type that, but I get it.

11. HauteChocolat

HauteChocolat Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Gee... Lucky you, you don't live there. I believe I read the statue was commissioned by an individual - his money, his choice on how to spend it. More likely than not, he was inspired by the Christo Redentor in Rio.

12. Lancer

Daps Received:
    For your information I grew up in Nigeria, have family there, and I am well aware of the countless issues plaguing Nigeria than someone who has never been there and feels he/she can tell me about MY home town from the comfort of their FireFox browser. As was said ''Nigeria's population has 70% of its citizens living in poverty but yet they are building mega churches and erected a 30 foot tall 40 ton marble statue of a white Jesus''. In the South of Nigeria, in the village of Abajah (were the statue was built), where the youths are unemployed, robbery and kidnapping is at a all time high and the government is fighting back rebellion from Igbo's who want to split away from Nigeria (Biafra war), the CBN (Central Bank of Nigeria) says the country is at the brink of going into a recession in 2016, and the Nigerian National Assembly (the US equivalent of the senate committee) ''misplaced'' the 2016 Budget for the country,Boko Haram bombings are on the rise each and every day with countless innocents loosing their lives, Electricity and water(Basic Amenities) are poorly lacking in the country, even the famous Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie( Igbo) voiced her sad opinion on the state of Nigeria last year during her visit, do you think THAT a statue of Jesus is going to fix things Mr. HauteChocolat!?![​IMG]

#12 Lancer, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  13. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    What is it with people worshipping the blue-eyed man with a blonde perm.

This whole trust in Jeebus instead on common sense movement is insane.

This seems like laziness & idolatry. Building monuments and temples to promote hateful doctrine.

Most of these folks worry more about who's sleeping in someone's bedroom instead of worrying about the folks who never had a bed to lie in.

Cyrus-Brooks and grownman dapped this.
  14. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux

Daps Received:
    *Sigh*...I could've supported this if those churches were used as shelters or something at least.

grownman dapped this.
  15. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    This is one reason why I don't support the term African American. The prefix of African was adopted but the majority of Black people in the US have no clue of their ancestors cultures, traditions or spiritual beliefs; yet wanna look to Egypt as inspiration even though most likely their linage come from west Africa. #brainwashed

alton and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  16. HauteChocolat

Daps Received:
    Didn't you go off on a tangent there? Well, with all the myriad of issues you listed, I think it's fair to say you are lucky you don't live there [presently] (the comment was about you and not your relatives). You highlight various problems with the government/state but if indeed the statue was paid for by an individual and not the state, I think it's also fair to say he can spend his money as he sees fit, within the confines of the law - whether or not anyone thinks he is daft for doing so.

To your question; no I don't think so. Ugh, that gif.

17. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Let me just say I agree and think as the originator of the thread, it was a bit misleading. I should have stated the statue was paid for by a businessman and not the govt. the same man was also instrumental in building a mega catholic cathedral. I included his pic but was not that descriptive.

My intent was to highlight the adoptance of white Jesus, native African religious rejection by Africans by way of colonialism and the country's poverty.

#17 OckyDub, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    As the grandson of an Eritrean woman I'm not at all shocked by the grandeur of this statue even in the face of extreme poverty. Nigeria is an extremely wealthy nation with billionaires within spitting distance and I hate to say it but they get there by stepping on others and pushing flawed agendas. My aunt is married to a Nigerian guy and they live in port harcourt rivers state which is one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest city in Nigeria. He owns a large oil refinery in the area and two years ago fired half his workers to hire on Asian workers because their government paid him to do so. I don't believe they care much for anything but money. In fact the kindest Nigerian I've ever known is @African King! So adopting this white Jesus makes me feel like theyre up to something wild.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  19. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    WOW :ld:

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  20. Lancer

Daps Received:
    No i did not go off on a tangent. People that have not lived in Nigeria feel they know what life is there and how the people are, just by reading an article. As much as I might read about Atlanta gay life,watch web series based in Atlanta and Youtube videos I can not say to someone who has experienced or lived Atlanta gay life, how and what it is, if i have never experienced it or been there.
    It was not mentioned here but he built the Statue in his church saying ''...it would bring people from all over the world to see it''keep in mind he is an Igbo business man, and there in his statement lies one of the biggest issues in Nigeria of people building MEGA churches in the name of ''it is to bring more people to Christ'' while the main goal is to fuel their pockets. Churches in Nigeria have become ways to make money, with services and special programmes that run throughout the week with offerings and 'special seeds' sown into the church in the name of ''Unlocking your 2016 door of Destiny and Abundant Miracles''. I could go on however i am totally spent on this issue.
    [​IMG]

cypher21, Cyrus-Brooks and OckyDub dapped this.
  21. HauteChocolat

Daps Received:
    Take
    ... In that case, take a sit junior and don't get so worn out from your assumptions - there are bound to be other people on the internet that live, have lived or know a thing or two about that country one way or another besides you. In any event, knowing about Nigeria was never a part of any of my comments. What was part of my comment though, was the possibility of the financier being influenced by the Christo Rendento, which has people from all over the world going to see it and your quote from him 'it would bring people from all over the world to see it' seems to underscore this.

XoXo
    Btw, this is a much nicer gif, loved Meryl Streep in that movie.

22. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    LOL Thanks brother @NickAuzenneNOLA. No lie that us Nigerians LOVE money. WE are killing it in the US and the UK making money LEGALLY hahaha. But yeah there has been plenty of Asian integration in Nigeria for economic reasons. China has invested in some developments back home too. It is pretty crazy. We are a rich country resource-wise but yeah.... mismanagement, bribery, corruption and I could go on and on...