Novelist Marlon James Recalls His Life-Saving Move To America

Discussion in 'Books, Comics and Graphic Novels' started by OckyDub, Oct 15, 2015.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    “At 28 years old, seven years out of college, I was so convinced that my voice outed me as a fag that I had stopped speaking to people I didn’t know. The silence left a mark, threw my whole body into a slouch, with a concave chest, as if trying to absorb impact. I’d spent seven years in an all-boys school: 2,000 adolescents in the same khaki uniforms striking hunting poses, stalking lunchrooms, classrooms, changing rooms, looking for boys who didn’t fit in. I bought myself protection by cursing, locking my lisp behind gritted teeth, folding away my limp wrist and drawing 36-double-D girls for art class. I took a copy of Penthouse to school to score cool points, but the other boys called me ‘batty boy’ anyway — every day, five days a week. To save my older, cooler brother, I pretended we weren’t related.”

Gay Jamaican Novelist Marlon James Wins the 2015 Man Book Prize

Tyroc, grownman, Coltrane and 4 others dapped this.
  2. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Every time I read about experiences like those of Marlon James it reminds me that as unpleasant as my experiences was growing up as a black gay man in the USA. We have it far worse in majority black countries like in the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa. It also makes me think of how many smart and talented people these societies waste and the lost human potential because of their superstitions and backwards prejudices.

Coltrane, DreG, grownman and 3 others dapped this.