NYT: In Tanzania, straight women are marrying one another

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by Infinite_loop, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Well, isn't this very interesting?
    [​IMG]
    WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN TANZANIA IN 2008. (MANDEL NGAN/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
    In a remote village in northern Tanzania, same sex marriages are on the rise, but not among lesbians. Within the Kurya tribe, a longstanding tradition of straight women and widows marrying each other in order to preserve their homes and lifestyles without husbands has seen a resurgence in popularity recently, as women seek more freedom and power, according to Marie Claire magazine.

Tanzanian journalist Dinna Maningo explained that in the female marriages, the women are married and run their homes similarly to a mixed-gender married couple: living, cooking, working, raising children, and sleeping together. But the women are straight, and do not have sex. The tradition also reduces the possibility for domestic abuse, child marriage, and female genital mutilation. Women can take male lovers, but any children that result belong to the female marriage.

“They realize the arrangement gives them more power and freedom,” Maningo said. “It combines all the benefits of a stable home with the ability to choose their own male sexual partners.”

Mugosi Maningo and Anastasia Juma are one such couple. Mogul’s husband left her 10 years ago, while Juma had survived a forced marriage at the age of 13, was treated like a slave by her husband, and ran away after giving birth to his child. The pair married in 2015.

“I certainly didn’t want another husband. Marrying a woman seemed the best solution,” Juma said. “The marriage is working out better than I could have imagined. I wasn’t sure at first, because it was such a new experience—now, I wouldn’t choose any other way.”

Marie Claire and New York Times stories.

OckyDub dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Colonialism and Religion has destroyed Africa on so many levels.

[​IMG]

3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I am so mad at that article @Ockydub. At the end of the day in spite of religion or not, some people out there are crazy.

4. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single