'Pose' Review

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Lancer, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    As we are well aware now that 'irrelevant, obsessive, Aging out, struggling, LGBT frauds, Cypher Avenue blog' REFUSED :fakenews: to review'Pose'. I would think they would considering the fact that 'The blog owners want to be famous filmmakers and make amazing lgbt web series' LMAO:pachah1::dead1:.

Jokes aside I think this is a good review from a Masculine Gay dude who was around during that period. Not so much the show in its entirety,but how scenes in the show had impacted his life during that period and how difficult it was for him to watch.

2. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Isn't this the guy that said Tyler Perry had his face slashed?

3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Walter Lee Hampton....nah son. I know some consider him masculine (compared to the typical faces we see of the culture) but he is gross and messy as the day is long.

Made up drama is how he thrives and makes a name for himself in the small corner that is the Black homosexuality blogoshpere and I will never believe a word that comes outta his mouth.

ControlledXaos and SB3 dapped this.
  4. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    But how do you really feel?

5. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

6. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Just saying...folk have ask me in the past why he has never been featured on the site or why we haven't done an interview with him being that he is an out open masculine leaning gay man and that's the reason why.

To me he is for more of the BGC crowd...not Cypher Avenue.

Juan-Carlos, ControlledXaos and SB3 dapped this.
  7. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I was at a party in Atlanta recently where Hampton was there and he was def more masculine than most in appearance. So I wouldn't call him all out "feminine" but based on what I've seen in his videos, he's messier and shadier than most. So I wouldn't say he fits into what I would call a "masculine opinion."

ControlledXaos, SB3 and OckyDub dapped this.
  8. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Pose is actually a really good show - I think it's only fair to be familiar with different walks of life even if you're not into the whole ball culture. Most of the acting is utterly amazing except one member of the cast (looking at you Electra). The visuals are great, the writing is outstanding, the story is balanced and they put money into music licensing.

If you've seen Paris Is Burning, this is basically a televised series of that. I see why it got renewed for a second season although it'll likely be the last since it's such a niche show unless they can garner more views from the general public.

9. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    While not disagreeing, for me, the "different walks of life" subject matter of ball / drag culture is very common and has been shown extensively over the decades as representation of LGBTQ culture.

10. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yea, drag is nothing new but for FX to pick up a drama like this, I think was pretty major. The only other show that has been able to crossover to mainstream is drag race and that just happened within the last year or two. I'd be willing to bet that a pretty large section of heterosexuals are completely unaware of what it meant back then for those folks in the ballroom scene - that it was more than just playing dress up.

Then again, I could just be speaking from the perspective of someone who has no recollection of the 80's. Maybe it was something that was known but not discussed back then.

At any rate, the fact that I'm damn near 30 and wasn't exposed until I actually got into the gay world, kinda speaks for the young folks transitioning in and who are likely not exposed

#10 takeyourmeds91, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Yeah I grew up in the 80s and grew up when AIDS was a white gay crisis - therefore mainstream news....so don't let me start LOL.

Winston Smith and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  12. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Rooccccooosss mooooddderrrrnnn lllliiiiiiifffffeeeeeee !

I think he's got a following because he's swole. That's why people are saying he's masculine but he's got Gay Voice.

I get that millennials want to see history and wonder what gay life was like in the 80s. I wonder what it was like in the 60s and 70s.

I get that boring regular dudes like me with relatively no drama isn't interesting to create a show about this is the problem I have had forever... When I saw gay characters on TV and movies, just could not relate to them. Even Lamar on Revenge of the Nerds or Hollywood in Mannequin just didn't click with me.all I could think of was "that's not me"

I actually think I'm going to rebinge Queer As Folk because while I didn't really ID with those white guys, they were at least masculine and gay and not carrying on all the time. They came off as regular Joe's. It made it where BJ Honeycutt being the more fem guy out of the group stand out more but not negatively.

SB3, Winston Smith and OckyDub dapped this.
  13. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    100dap FACTS

:babylawd:

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  14. Juan-Carlos

Juan-Carlos Opps are dealt with by a savage Thanos snap. HNY
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I agree @OckyDub While the ballroom scene is underground and more of a subset of the LGBTQIA experience some of the themes covered are more connected to the collective gay experience and its conditions i.e. being outed , getting rejected by family and reconciling those feelings with your own family, figuring out a balance while navigating your way through that identity of being gay, finding support with your chosen "family", HIV/AIDS exposure, testing, and learning about those who are dying from AIDS, bi-curious men, fetishism with trans-women, and racism and bigotry within the gay community. I like a few if the projects Ryan Murphy created like Nip/Tuck and American Horror Story. This series is groundbreaking for there are a number of transactors working on this production and the subject matter is honest and telling and creates discussion on both sides for understanding. Personally , I had no interest in Pose initially for I had no interest in that scene nor have I ever attended a ball. Though after catching episode 1 I had to amend my original position. The inaugural season is short with only eight episodes. Season 2 has been greenlit so there could be more stories to be told along with teachable moments.

#14 Juan-Carlos, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  15. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I don't think the issue is if the show is good or not but when hasn't this story been told?

I been hearing and seeing these exact same stories and these themes for decades now so much so that DL Chronicles, Broke Back Mountain, LA Complex and Moonlight are outliers.

In 40 years this is all masculine leaning black gay men have are these 4 films/web series/shows and currently 1 website.

mojoreece dapped this.
  16. Juan-Carlos

Juan-Carlos Opps are dealt with by a savage Thanos snap. HNY
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:

I hope not for sure. The stories related to those themes will evolve into something that allows us and others who are masculine leaning to truly connect with it because it is a shared experience. The challenge is demystifying our unique experience as we move and make our way through the day to day and breaking the psychological burden that makes being DL wrong. DL , understandably, can also mean being simply discreet and private and shouldn't carry a judgment connected to deceptive and bad behavior that leads to infecting unknowing women with HIV. These are two separate scenarios and experiences completely.

17. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

For what its worth, I think the show is pretty groundbreaking in that a mainstream network has produced a high-quality LGBTQIA+ centered TV series where actual LGBTQIA+ people are playing characters for them by them is quite trailblazing. I think the show has excellent writing and was produced very well.

The show may not be everyone's cup of tea or even a relatable subject matter but it is worthy of being put out into the universe. What this show tells me is that if you write it and produce it in a high-quality manner people will watch it. We need more gay people telling our stories. We need more actual LGBT people playing LGBT characters. It also tells big networks like FX that LGBTQIA+ artistry is worthy of the risk in storytelling. We shouldn't discount the work because the groundbreaking Paris is Burning came out 27 years ago.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  18. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    "groundbreaking"?
    So what about all the network shows starring or featuring LGBTQ characters, written and produced by LGBTQ folks that have existed for the last decade or two telling the same / similar stories or themes?

Haven't seen anyone saying it shouldn't be.

19. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married

Some shows may have LGBT characters but they are not the center. The networks that have shows about LGBT people are not focused on LGBT people of color (i am talking Modern Family and Will & Grace). That is what is groundbreaking. This is a series of high quality and budget that is centered around black and brown LGBT people and not the stereotypical white gay man (usually elite). I can't think of one show that has a black LGBT protagonist or star. The TV shows I do know are characters relegated to background and super-sub storylines.

20. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I get what you mean @BlackguyExecutive

All of that is fine and dandy. Pose can spring some copycat/me too type show on another network that looks at black and brown gay life from another pov I'm all for it. Ryan Murphy has established himself at this point. I wish he'd go to Netflix where he'd have more freedom.

It's just that when there are those super sup C story gay characters in shows they are mostly the fem leaning types. I can name the few masculine gay characters from TV shows but mostly gay characters are fabulous. Pose feels like that crowd got to graduate to a vehicle first and based on my previous statments, it stands to reason. But as also ran copy cat network shows go, if there is one it'll likely be more fem/queer /trans leaning. However I do very much appreciate the masc characters in the show and it does an ok job of showing the spectrum of gay life.

That one scene with the dude with body but turned into a queen at the end of it was funny to me.

I am not saying the show is bad. It's pretty good. I have seen worse. If anything I wish it were set just like few years earlier when hiv and AIDS was more mysterious.

21. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Drag Race has been on since 2009 and features multiple non-heterosexual fem leaning men of color while being named after a Black Man (Ru-Paul)...but lets just forgot about that for a second and focus on a scripted TV show/s.

Correct; POSE is ground breaking in the vein of having non-heterosexual persons of color in the lead starring roles. Nonetheless the disposition of the characters and subject matter is the same ole same ole that permeates and has dominated LGBTQ media - regardless of race - for decades.

This doesn't mean the show is bad or shouldn't exist.