Rapper Chamillionaire Gets Large Payday from Investment

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Mar 16, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Photo credit: @chamillionaire
    So, if you’re a fan of Southern hip-hop, then you know Chamillionaire has always been about his paper. And although he’s been a little incognito from the rap game for a long while, his bread is also looking pretty long. Last year, Chamillionaire invested in a start-up business, Maker Studios, which is an online video network founded in 2009. The investment paid off pretty heavy when Disney purchased the business for over $500 million dollars! Dammm!

The 35-year-old, Chamillionaire, born Hakeem Seriki is rich, but he’s looking to become wealthy. There’s a difference. Now we don’t know how much of the $500 million Chamillionaire has seen, but we do know that since the company was sold for 1/2 billion dollars, he got a good piece of that, but it has not been disclosed exactly how much. We know that based on how he’s “grammin'” it’s gotta be pretty hefty. (For my old schoolers, grammin’ means, posting up on Instagram!)

Today, Chamillionaire looking to become a Chabillionaire, based on his current dealings with Upfront Ventures, an investment firm valued at $280 million.

“I walked around the music industry for a bunch of years, right? I saw a lot of rich people. I didn’t see wealthy,” he tells me. “I got into the tech industry, I see wealthy every day. The Snapchat CEO is 24 years old and a billionaire. How many billionaires do I have to walk around the music industry to find? I’m in Silicon Valley, I’m in L.A., I’m in Santa Monica, and I’m seeing billionaires all over the place. And they’re young. That’s not in the music industry.”

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: @chamillionaire |The venture capital geniuses at Upfront Ventures.
    Upfront Ventures bought him in since March of 2015 to serve as the firm’s new “Entrepreneur in Residence.” In the world of venture capitalism, an “EIR” is a relatively loose, informal and temporary position—basically an opportunity for an entrepreneur to work with an investment team and get some capitalist know-how as they plot out their next project. In Cham’s case, he says he doesn’t have specific office hours; he’s free to come and go as he pleases. Mostly he just sits in on meetings and takes notes as leaders of various companies and start-ups come in to this very conference room we’re sitting in to pitch their ideas to Upfront’s partners—with the hopes of walking away with a term sheet promising anywhere from $1 to $10 million in seed money.

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: @chamillionaire |My dawgs @biancasamadhi and @treysongz stopped by Upfront.

ControlledXaos, mojoreece and grownman dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Good for him.

3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Houston stand up!

Dante dapped this.
  4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm happy for him.

Wonder if there's more black people at that company?

5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I hope he's able to maintain wealth and values the company and contributes to it other than showing up at investment meetings, having his name as an investor and or to get a check keep up a "rich" lifestyle. He should sit down with Swizz Beatz and do what he did.

6. Pathology18

Pathology18 Lurker

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I love watching black men succeed! Hopefully I can be like him one day!

OckyDub dapped this.