Same-Sex Male Couples Outearn Straight Couples by More Than $60,000

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by BlackguyExecutive, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I just read this article. Interesting stuff. Thoughts?

However, I think there are some clear demographic differences. I hate when the media perpetuates the rich gay narrative because the vast majority of LGBT persons are not rich by any meaningful standard.
    Basically, you have to live in a metropolis, be childless, and I am assuming be fully educated. This does show that even gay men benefit from a gender bias.

Same-Sex Male Couples Outearn Straight Couples by More Than $60,000

Gender, geography, and child care expenses all play a role.
    Men in same-sex marriages tend to earn significantly more than their lesbian or heterosexual counterparts, according to new data released this week by the U.S. Treasury Department. Gay men had an average household income of $176,000 in 2014, $52,000 more than lesbian couples and $63,000 more than opposite-sex couples.

The Treasury Department’s first-ever look at tax returns for same-sex couples adds a new element to research on the ways gender and geography affect earnings. Same-sex couples, for example, tend to live on the coast and in major metropolitan areas, where average earnings tend to be higher than other parts of the country. For male couples, that geographic earnings premium helps explain why heterosexual couples earn 36% less. Lesbian couples, on the other hand, only top heterosexual couples’ average income by a narrower 9.7%—and when you compare lesbian couples to heterosexual couples in the same zip code, that advantage disappears.

Read more: Financial Planning for the Modern Family

That’s in part because of the gender pay gap, according to an Upshot story in the New York Times, which affects only one-half of a couple’s income in a heterosexual couple. Child care expenses also play a role. Same-sex female couples are four times more likely than same-sex male couples to have children.

One group where incomes are remarkably higher than peers: same-sex married men with children report average earnings of $275,000, more than double that of same-sex female and heterosexual couples. That’s probably because it’s a self-selecting group. In order to become parents, male couples have to be able to afford adoptions, which can top $30,000, Upshot reports.

ColumbusGuy and Jdudre dapped this.
  2. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Your comments are right on the money a lot of the time these studies and headlines are I don't want to say not accurate more like looking at a specific snapshot of a much larger picture and then trying to use it to motivate people. Don't get me wrong the whole idea behind the article this type of practice is great but I just wish they would try and apply it to a more balanced audience.

3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This whole article is bullshit and is only about same sex married partners, which does not represent the vast majority of gay men and flies in the face of numerous other studies that show gay men make less than straight men, all other things being equal. Just another example of a shoddy crappy misleading article masquerading as actual journalism.

OckyDub, alton and acessential dapped this.
  4. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married

I was thinking the exact same thing. Gay Marriage was only made legal in all 50 states last June, just over a year ago. The richest gays were able to travel to states and pay the fees to get married before the enterprise was available to the broad masses. so the tax data that makes this prediction is going off of flawed data points.

The gay male married couples is definitely skewed to the richest gays among us. Which is the primary reason why the elite white gay men wanted marriage so badly to protect their wealth. With that being said, I do think over the next decade the gays will likely have a significant advantage as more men get married. But there are also tons of other factors, having education, tangible skills, both men working, etc. plus being childless.

5. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    This is not really surprising if your focusing on gay white educated male couples. On average, educated white men have always made more than everyone anyway lol. But I would like to see a breakdown based on race and education. Particularly gay black males vs black lesbians and then vs straight black couples. Then compare by break down varying degree levels i.e. no high school vs BA vs Masers vs JD and PHD. Its well know that the recession has hurt black wealth really bad. O and you could also compare transsexuals also.

ControlledXaos, Jdudre and acessential dapped this.
  6. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah. What everyone else said. It's definitely a self-selecting group. I'm still sure that the vast majority of long term gay couples are not married and are therefore not included in this study. Plus you can't do much with a year's worth of data.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  7. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    In fact, the article, which can be found here http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/u...marriage-in-america.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0 is very specifically an article about gay marriage and is based on a Treasury Department study that was recently released. I think the article read in its entirety makes many of the distinctions commenters have raised.
    I am not a married gay man, but I am interested to see that the article, and presumably the underlying Treasury report, confirms my impression of the married gay male scene here in DC - that it is primarily a white, wealthier, and younger scene.
    I do wish the report had dealt with racial differences in the population of gay married men - but the Treasury report, based on income tax returns, could not identify by racial classification.

TheEdge and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yes I also looked at what the article was based on. Gays who married in what, the first year of gay marriage. Already you are going to skew toward established longterm relationships(people who have been together a long time and were just itching to get married) which is also probably skewing in other ways(older more established meaning more wealth and also wanting the financial benefits of marriage, etc). It is reflective of a small segment of the gay population-but is presented as ...

"Same sex couples outearn straight couples by more than $60,000.00."

A total fabrication really and ridiculously bad journalism. I agree a breakdown of that small married subset would also have been beneficial

acessential dapped this.