So What Had Happened Was...

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by Nick Delmacy, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The (all Black) Oscar Watch Party crowd I was with initially thought Warren Beatty tried to run a fast one....

Then we rewound it and saw that it was actually Faye Dunaway who announced the La La Land to be the Winner....

Then we thought that the bald La La Land Producer KNEW they didn't win because he had the card in his hand and tried to hide it...

But then we saw him never even look at it...then the confusion started to happen. You can even see him talking to Ryan Gosling on the left side and getting word that they didn't win. You can see the guys bringing out the correct envelope confirming the error. He instantly goes to the mic and says, "There's a mistake. Moonlight won Best Picture."

Here's the photo that barry posted on twitter afterward, notice the text on the envelope:

[​IMG]

It was a flub that they instantly corrected so no harm, no foul.

Now that this is over and done with, we can go on to never speak of Moonlight again just like we do all the other Best Picture films for the last 20 years.

2. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    This should be a fun drinking game.
    "Take a shot whenever CA references or compares something to Moonlight"

Jdudre dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    PwC accountant who made the error says he is sorry. Two old people got the wrong envelope, got confused, Beatty let Faye take the fall and read it, and then it got corrected. When you involve old people they can get confused and sh#t can go wrong lol. He should have seen it did not match up and asked for clarification, but probably did not want to be embarrassed, and ended up far worse.

* I have seen online where Moonlight was being called part of an Islamic plot-the 'moon' representing the crescent on the Islamic flag, and the 'light' being the star on same flag. SMDH. The most ridiculous thing I have seen yet regarding this film.

I-Stay-Woke dapped this.
  4. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I just dont understand how the accountant messed this up. You had ONE job to do! lol

SO happy for Moonlight though. What a plot twist.

6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Sorry, mon frere, this isn't old people shit, it was just usual elite arrogance. I've done logistics for events like this before, although not at Beatty age and obviously not televised internationally, it doesn't require a lot of brainpower or deep thought just checking fail safes. Sir Sidney Poitier (yes, it's Sir Sidney, he was knighted years ago) just turned 90, I'm sure he would have had someone come to the stage before just running off with assumptions on a strange card.

Faye Dunaway just needs to crawl back under her rock, it was her arrogance that made Beatty look bad. He's still a talent, she's been a washed up hag since her Caesar Romero-on-Batman turn as Joan Crawford. Beatty knew something was amiss just couldn't improvise. I'm waiting for someone to put her line from Mommie Dearest, "I will always beat you" with her Oscar presentation in a video clip.
    [​IMG]

Fuck PwC, they didn't fuck up for eight decades now all of a sudden they can't get cards and envelopes right for a black male win? Their apology was about as meaningful as all of Kimmel's stupid jokes about Black, Muslim, and Asian actor names.

7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Your tweet is not showing up for me. What does it say? (just getting 'content cannot be shown in a frame stuff?)

@Rico I don't think this was some kind of conspiracy(re: black male win etc.). Let go of the paranoia already lol.

8. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    See that's the kind of remark that makes black folk not want to fuck with dialogue. We point out majority shit and it's "paranoia" because it makes white folks uncomfortable to hear it straight up from a black mouth. This is 2017, I don't feel the need to filter shit just because folk can't deal with strong black male opinions.

Hell, I'm watered down compared to the black millennial at sites like VSB. Their responses would leave you in a fetal position...

Of course, as always, my response is with love and respect...like a black grandmother making you go out back to get the very switch you're about to get whipped with lol
    :franko1:

#8 Winston Smith, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I am making the remark(not the paranoia part, just lol with ya on that) because I really don't think this was anything more than a ridiculous mixup and really don't think it is more than that. I don't see any fire cause I don't see any smoke. If I really thought there was a real possibility of it being anything more I would acknowledge that-you know I would. But I honestly just don't see it here.

And yeah, black people of course have a reason(past history)to be a bit paranoid, at least(and it ain't paranoia if you are right) but I really don't see it here. I know Hollywood is full of sh#t and all, I yeah I think Moonlight got it for the wrong reasons(as you pointed out before it won), but I think the mess in the delivery was just good old honest incompetence, bad luck, and bad timing. JMHO.

*and yeah, regarding the switch, my mom made us do that from our sugar maple tree when I was a young kid-our German Shepherd even had to go out and stare at the branch to indicate which one was to be used for it's own switch-it feared nobody-except my mother lol. She went easier on it than any of us kids smh.

10. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    And see, I thought that was just some shit black women did to discipline kids (I used to joke that black male electrical engineering freshman were shocked to learn that "switch" had a different meaning.

See, if we were kids we could hum "Ebony and Ivory" as we both run and hide for busting the neighbors window playing baseball
    :heh:

And many of us thought my mother had some Hun in her growing up. One of my cousins still calls my mother Aunt Broomhilda lol

11. Aejae

Aejae Socially Awkward Aejae
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Even the BET Awards know not to make this mistake. Whoever had that ONE JOB in handling the envelopes need to be ETHERed!

12. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Being German/Irish/mutt I always blame my temper on my German roots(you know they are insane and every now and then get the urge to conquer and are warlike despite being neutered by the Russians in the last war)and I blame the Irish in me also for my ill-tempered nature(lol) and also for my dreamlike escapism and emotionalism(also know as laziness.)

We used to play softball in my neighbors back yard(only a quarter acre lot so small)until someone hit one really hard and it hit the trunk of my dad's prized Mountain Ash tree and nearly cut the thing in two. Not allowed after that. And the worst thing I got hit with was a large rubber cooking spatula-that thing hurt like hell lol.

*and more on topic, I still have not seen Moonlight-I could not get anyone to go with me and did not want to go alone.

13. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship