Stop asking black victims of white violence if they forgive their victimizers

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Jul 11, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I know some folks don't like Shaun King but I had to agree with him here...
    [​IMG]

When a black family loses a loved one to some type of racial terror — be it at the hands of police, white supremacists, or another angry caucasian, they are often asked a question that you rarely see asked of anyone else in a similar position.

Last week, before her son, Philando, had even been buried, his body riddled with bullets from a Minnesota police officer, Valerie Castile was asked live on CNN if she forgave the man who shot him.

Why in the hell would you ask her that? Has that man asked to be forgiven? Has he admitted that what he did was wrong? Has he repented and accepted some form of justice? Has he been arrested or charged with a crime? Has he reached out to the family to communicate his feelings about their unimaginable loss?

This woman is still trying to wrap her mind around how and why her son's life was violently taken from this world. She doesn't even have an official police report about the incident. A jury has not yet been convened. She hasn't even been able to grieve at a funeral, and she's been asked about forgiveness?

It's an outrageous question that she should've never been cornered in to answering, but Valerie Castile minced no words in her response, "He took my son's life. I don't forgive him. Bottom line."

Do you think any family members of the slain police officers in Dallas were asked this weekend if they forgive Micah Johnson?

On 9/12 did you see reporters asking people if they forgave Osama Bin Laden?

When Syed Farook and his wife killed 14 people in San Bernardino and injured 22 others, nobody was rushing to ask people if they forgave him.

In other words, when the roles are reversed, and white people suffer any form of violence, it's just common sense that you don't ask them, particularly in the immediate aftermath, if they have forgiven their victimizer. You particularly don't see this ridiculous question being asked of white people when a person of color was responsible for the violence.

It's patently absurd. African-Americans, in essence, are expected to process and overcome their pain in a way that is both superhuman and irrational. It can take months or years, decades even, for some people to get to the point where they can sincerely say they forgive someone for how they've been wronged.

If someone cut off your son's head today, would you forgive them tomorrow? If a stranger brutally raped and maimed your daughter today, would you forgive them later tonight? How about tomorrow or the next day? Would you be ready to forgive them in front of the nation then?

Of course you wouldn't.

Yet that's exactly what the victims of white supremacist Dylann Roof were asked on live television just days after he slaughtered their loved ones in a Charleston church.

Just stop it. Don't rush our grief. And if you want forgiveness, earn it, and start providing some justice in this country.

KING: Stop asking black victims if they forgive white victimizers

Discordant, acessential, Jdudre and 4 others dapped this.
  2. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    It's part of the larger frame of the larger conversation white America wants to have with African Americans about everything involving white domination and privilege. African Americans are expected to forgive white America for slavery. In fact, most assume that African Americans have forgiven them. Because with forgiveness comes forgetfulness. And what is forgotten can be filed away at the back of the closet - the white American closet.

Discordant, Tyroc, Jdudre and 2 others dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I don't think that forgiveness automatically means forgetfulness. I really don't think most white Americans believe blacks should just 'forget' that slavery happened. And I don't get this whole thing about 'forgiveness' either....I agree with Ocky and you on that. Why are they asking that?

Forgiveness, btw, is not for the perpetrator, but for the victim. You forgive for YOU so you can move forward and not be caught in time, suspended in hate and anger. Forgetting is not the same thing. What has happened has happened and you come to terms with it but it really is like history, forget it and you may be doomed to repeat it/go through it again, and you cannot learn from/teach others from what you have forgotten.

But again, you cannot be asked these stupid questions by the media unless you are ON the media. Why not just release statements saying what you want to say, and avoiding the media circus? I have never understood why people (even in ordinary situations where they have suffered a horrible loss), can be talking to reporters on tv just hours after the fact? I would want privacy and to hell with the media. I would be half out of my mind with grief and so many emotions I would avoid the media like the plague-if I felt I had to say something, I would have a statement released and that is it.

'You particularly don't see this ridiculous question being asked of white people when a person of color was responsible for the violence.'

No, but sometimes they offer it themselves:

Jennifer Trapuzzano on husband’s killer: ‘I forgive’
    Why Davey Blackburn opted to forgive Amanda Blackburn's killers

These were just in Indianapolis alone and not that long ago. And this was done much after the fact.

*unfortunately, these two incidents have been used by white supremacists and other messed up whites/messed up white media/etc. to help demonize blacks and black men in particular-which is something the victims would never have wanted smh.

Jdudre dapped this.
  4. Aejae

Aejae Socially Awkward Aejae
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Yeah white people can be full of it and act like Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz when they're called out on their bullshit.

#4 Aejae, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Jdudre dapped this.
  5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    This is one of the many reasons that caused me to reject Christianity. This emphasis on "turn the other cheek" is philosophy of cowardice and weakness. Even when I was a Christian I didn't subscribe to this because even from an early age I knewe that's not how the world works. Passivity in the face of aggression only invites further attacks. This is why racists, be they groups like the KKK or even law enforcement behave the way they do because they know they can attack even murder black people with impunity and nothing will happen to them. We're the only group of people in the world expected to forgive who do us grave harm......that's bullshit. We are fools for going along with such nonsense for centuries.

Discordant and OckyDub dapped this.