Best Posts in Thread: Study Finds Being Too Handsome Can Hurt Your Career

1. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Honestly, looks are an advantage in most cases. Attraction is definitely relative BUT there are some people that are just high on the attractive scale. I think industry definitely plays a part. If I’m running a bar, I would probably hire the fine ass guy with a nice body or the girl with a pretty face and big boobs. Usually translates to more money. If I’m running a call center, probably won’t care as much.

TheDarkness, Aejae, mojoreece and 2 others dapped this.
  2. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    22528368_1917528805155028_507978028983548468_n.jpg

Why being handsome is seen as a threat by bosses and bad for a man's career | Daily Mail Online
    • Good-looking men less likely to get roles showcasing individual talents
    • Instead tend to languish in less important positions in workplace teams
    • But researchers in UK and US found women don't face same challenges
    • Actor Rob Lowe said good looks had made it tough to further his career
    if you thought it was just women who are judged on their looks at work, think again. It seems men have it far worse. Researchers say handsome men are less likely to get their dream job.

A study found that good-looking gents are seen as a threat by their male bosses and are less likely to be given roles that showcase their individual talents as a result.

tumblr_oy0pczfzpG1w2x95io1_1280.jpg

Instead, they tend to languish in less important positions in workplace teams because they are still viewed as ‘competent’ even though they are unwanted competition for some.

However, the study found women don’t face the same challenges.

Researchers at University College London’s School of Management and the University of Maryland in the US carried out four experiments in offices.

They found that when men were hiring other men to work with them, their decision was affected by the attractiveness of the candidate and the type of job.

Finding-Mr-Right.jpg

However, attractive women did not face the same problem because being pretty is not associated with competence among female stereotypes.

Lead researcher, assistant professor Sun Young Lee of Maryland University, said: ‘Managers are affected by stereotypes and make hiring decisions to serve their own self-interests so organisations may not get the most competent candidates.

‘With more companies involving employees in recruitment processes, this important point needs attention.

‘Awareness that hiring is affected by potential work relationships and stereotyping tendencies can help organisations improve their selection processes.’

e9e8358b36f0f7863ace670639b41303.jpg

To get the best workers, irrespective of looks, bigger companies may find it more beneficial to have a neutral, outside recruitment company doing the hiring, she suggested.

“When there are these subtle hints of competition within colleagues, as is often the case, then attractive males are actually at a disadvantage, and they're actually discriminated against,” said organizational behavior researcher Marko Pitesa in an interview with NPR.

The findings only apply in certain roles — there’s a reason unemployment lines aren’t chock full of handsome devils. Pitesa says that the effect is observed in roles and fields where coworkers compete directly with one another. Pitesa uses the example of a car dealership: Cars sold by another salesman mean less cars sold by you, thereby impacting your bottom line. Subconsciously, men may avoid hiring handsome men because they perceive them to be too competent.

Otherwise, good looks can be an asset — in cooperative environments, people want to hire those who can help them the most, which means attractive males have the edge.

-2.jpg

Pitesa noted that he observed the effect equally in both men and women when evaluating candidates. Interestingly, women suffer from the opposite bias. Attractive women are seen as less competent, so in a way they experience the same pitfalls as attractive men — just for different reasons.

The findings come after actor Rob Lowe complained about how he had found it tough to further his career because of his good looks.

He told the New York Times in April 2014: ‘There’s this unbelievable bias and prejudice against quote-unquote good-looking people , that they can’t be in pain or they can’t have rough lives or be deep or interesting.

‘They can't be any of the things that you long to play as an actor. I'm getting to play those parts now and loving it. When I was a teen idol, I was so goddamn pretty I wouldn't have taken myself seriously.’

cc62bea21c5fe3741a3b788a496e957c.jpg