Talking White, and talking black. Ebonics/Accent etc.

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Boaxy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    What does everyone feel on the whole talking white, and talking black thing. Also things like ebonics and street or urban talk.

It's basically this belief that white and black people speak very much differently. How black people are supposed to have a more urban and street toned accent to their speech.

How usually black people are shunned for talking white".

When personally I feel there is no such thing as "talking white" or "black".

I believe some black people, myself included, have a fusion of both, in the same damn sentence. I can sound both white and black. So.

This is a really good video from a black person explaining this issue more.

Just wanted to put this out.

2. Apollo

Apollo Enemy of the Status Quo

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I don't know man. I really don't like this "talking black/talking white, acting black/acting white" thing. When people mention talking/acting black/white, are they refering to stereotypes? ..... I say just be yourself.

When I was younger in junior high, this one kid said I was trying to be black because I listened to some rap music.

Lancer dapped this.
  3. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    It's not necessarily on stereotypes. But more phenotypes really.

Rap music is kinda a controversial and complicated term to use. As shockingly nowadays, most hip hop and rap is listened to by white people.

But generally speaking. Rap and hip hop was manufactured originally by black people. For general circumstances, rap and hip hop music is commonly associated with black culture. Majority of the artists who perform it, are black.

So in some instances yes, people can say that you are acting or trying to conform to black culture by saying you like listening to rap and hip hop. As you notice they may adapt themselves to the same fashion or attitudes.

There are so many heavy metal hip hop elemental music too as well. So it's crazy how much white people conform themselves into hip hop.

So in some instances, you are trying to be or assimilate yourself into black culture.

Other cases, you are just listening to music you like.

So it is on a case by case basis yes.

Yeah people can be themselves, but it's still an interesting topic to discuss, as you don't know whether or not some things are acting, or confirming or self appropriating, or adapting or just things you do.

A black person who wears a dashiki is most of the time is an African person, trying to honor their African roots. So they are confirming to being black. Is this always the case? No. Can there be a white person wearing a dashiki for no apparent reason? Yes. But usually and typically, this is incorrect. So do not blame a person for assuming a person wearing a dashiki,

Someone who is not Chinese, can learn to speak Chinese, learn how to change their accent into a chinese accent, learn about chinese cultures, laws, history. etc.

Does this mean they want to be Chinese? It can and it can't.

Someone who is just bored with their time or just open minded, no they are not trying to be Chinese. They just want to expand their mind.

However, someone who is doing all of this, because they want to move to and live in China, yes are acting and trying to conform themselves into being Chinese by doing all of that.

So when someone says someone is acting Chinese, or trying to conform to being Chinese, are they right or wrong?

So there are so many loopholes and twists and turns to this.