Tennessee Repubs push bill letting therapists reject LGBT patients over religious beliefs

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by OckyDub, Mar 30, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    When I have and will look for a therapist, I search for those who are sensitive and aware of LGBT concerns or issues. I skip over or "reject" therapist who do not fit this criteria or are focused on "family and christianity."

If these therapists are not gonna be able to help or assist LGBT individuals, why or how is this an issue?
    [​IMG]
    A Republican state lawmaker in Tennessee proposed a bill allowing mental health professionals to reject clients who do not share their religious beliefs, WLVT-TV reported.

House Bill 1840 would allow counselors and therapists to turn away clients if they have “goals, outcomes, or behaviors that conflict with a sincerely held religious belief” if they instead refer them to a colleague.

But as the Friendly Atheist noted, the measure actually violates the code of ethics of the American Counseling Association, which states that counselors may not deny services based on “age, culture, disability, ethnicity, race, religion/spirituality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/partnership status, language preference, socioeconomic status, immigration status, or any basis proscribed by law.”

The bill is being sponsored in the state House by Rep. Dan Howell, a former news anchor for WDSI-TV, the Fox affiliate in Chattanooga. It passed in the Republican-dominated state Senate last month and the House Health Committee last week. State Sen. Jack Johnson, who co-sponsored the bill, told Brentwood Home Page that it also exempts counselors from following the ACA’s anti-discrimination guidelines.

“The bill was brought to me by people in the profession, I didn’t just come up with it,” Johnson said. “That section was was not in the ACA Code of Ethics before, and for whatever reason the ACA decided to put that in there.”

But Johnson’s account was called into question by Lynn Linde, senior director for the ACA’s Center of Counseling Practice, Policy and Research. Linde said that not only was the non-discrimination clause always part of the group’s code of ethics, it was posted online and open to comments by members during its most recent revision process.

“While we were working on it, we put it online and opened it up to comments from any member, state licensing board or affiliate,” Linde said. “There were two years during which anybody who wished to comment on the Code could before we finalized it. For someone to say that we did it in secret really offends us.”

The measure has also drawn criticism from LGBT activists.

“These bills represent not only a direct attack on the LGBT residents of Tennessee, but a direct threat to our state’s reputation as a place that is welcoming for business and tourism,” Tennessee Equality Project executive director Chris Sanders said in a statement. “We call on all Tennessee residents, businesses, and lawmakers who share our vision of a fair, hospitable, and welcoming state to reject these discriminatory bills as the wrong direction for our state.”

2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This 'defense of Religion' bullshit is going to have a severe backlash if we get a liberal SCOTUS justice. This is just bullshit. They should publish the names of these 'counselors' so they can be shamed and avoided. Also some state law does not supercede a national organization and I see lawsuits galore coming from this kind of stuff.

This is why the GOP is so states rights and all, so they can discriminate at the local level. I am damn sick and tired of these faux religious liberty shit.

I-Stay-Woke and grownman dapped this.
  3. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This is nuts. Just nuts. I have no use for these types of people- people who lack ethics, people who refuse to be challenged, people who decide there are certain patients who are not worthy of their alleged expertise. I have no use for them. If they refused to see my LGBTQ patients, why the hell would I ever refer any of my patients to them? (I wouldn't, so there's the answer.)

I was raised in a pretty conservative Christian denomination. I'm not nearly as active in it these days. For about a year I was part of a message board for LBGTQ people who were members of this denomination, and when the issue of providing services to gays/lesbians came up, I was shocked to discover that they supported discrimination. They just didn't get it. Their alleged Christian beliefs didn't rise to the occasion. It was toxic, so I left that group. I'm sure those same people would cheer this bill.

This bill is codified discrimination, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with religious liberty. The fact that these people seem to think they can hide behind the cloak of religious liberty tells me one of two things- either they are terrible humans who are poor representatives of their chosen religion, or their religion itself is terrible.

4. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    #4 NikR, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    They are just going nuts with this 'religious freedom' bullshit. I would expect this from Mississippi though-about the worst state in the US.

Can you believe though that even Mormon Utah has statewide protection for gays/lesbians/trans? One of the most religious states and they don't see the need for this-which shows that it really is about discrimination.