The Congo Dandies: living in poverty and spending a fortune to look like a million dollars.

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by Lancer, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
  2. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I mean WTFAAAAAAK!!! I have to say that this was shoot in Congo,however its a mentality that I must say plagues most of Africa. You can see the abject poverty that they live in and are surrounded by,the kids they have to feed and educate, but yet their priority is on Kenzo, YSL, Armani and High End luxury items.
    [​IMG]

3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    One of the biggest problems in Africa, the continent, is that a lot of their best and brightest immigrate to somewhere else. In the United States we immigrate 23% of doctors and engineers from Africa. The thing about African immigrants to the US, they do pretty well.

I will use Nigeria as an example. The Nigerians who immigrate to the US are outperforming all of us. Although Nigerians make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 37 percent held a Bachelors, 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees and 4 percent had a doctorate. This is to remember that Nigerians make up less than .01% of the US population.

I say all this because Africa's poverty problem is a problem of leadership and effective managers. Also, Africa is a relatively young continent 70% of the population of Africa is under 30 years old,

I don't think this is the mentality in most of Africa. A vast majority are trying to survive. The ones who are surviving and thriving are moving away.

Cyrus-Brooks and Jdudre dapped this.
  4. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I find this very interesting because I've read historical accounts of the Kongo/Bantu in Cuba Pre and Post Slavery describing very similar behavior. The Kongo {as per the accounts} were always known for their "flashy" manner of dress, (as flashy as was possible in post slavery Cuba).

Is this really that much different from what most muhf#kaz is doin' right here in this country. We got muhf#kaz walkin aroun with $700-$800 phones (that get turned off every other week because they can't pay the full bill), the newest Yeezys, 42" Virgin Malaysian, but... behind on they rent, no food in the house, lights bout to get turned off, little to no "discernible" education, etc but... they out here "sh!ttin' on' these nukkaz" smh.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    No different than black Americans who are poor AF but somehow think wearing designer clothes make them successful.