The Equality Act of 2015...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by ColumbusGuy, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The Equality Act of 2015 is a bill in the United States House of Representatives and the Senate that if passed would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include protections that ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, public education, federal funding, credit, and the jury system.

Equality Act of 2015 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think this has a chance or will it go the way of the ERA back in the day and wither and die on the vine?

Do you agree with the idea of it?-is there anything that is missing?

Do you think this will be the 'next big thing' that the Gay Elite push for (gays are in the military, we have gay marriage, what now?)

Will gays get too introspective and caught up in microscopic diversions like adding 135 new gender definitions and splinter apart and disperse any source of collective force or power?

Is this necessary to counter the increasing number of 'Religious Freedom' bills that states are passing which are often (IMO) just shields for anti-gay discrimination?

Should this be a new focus, or would gays(and lesbians, and trans, and queers, .....Ad infinitum ) be better off focusing on something else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this is something to fight for. We have all kind of gone our own ways a bit(which is good) as smaller groups push for recognition (like this site even), but I think we need something to unite us in a greater battle. This battle would benefit us all and could be something that every one of us could get behind, and maybe it could help bring us together a bit to work on some of the other issues in our LGBT(..etc.)world together(racism, classism, etc.). Too optimistic?

How often have you even heard anyone talk about this? Not much on my end.

Jaa dapped this.
  2. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    One thing that I can always say about you. You come hard-when you come. Lol. I have heard of the Act but not really paid much attention to it.

Too busy caught up in my daily life. I imagine a good portion of guys on here as well. But, this site has been and hopefully continue to be a well rounded website. I actually use CA and (CNN) to receive my world news That's how much that I respect this website.

So, yes reading the Act of 2015-has become a issue to be concerned with.
    I am a black gay men who works, housing etc. So this Bill affects me.lt needs to be enacted. It will probably have to go through some revisions consistently, which most do but that's a start.
    No, I have not heard anything on this subject in my small circle.

alton and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I kind of wanted to post it because this is a black site, and I wanted to see in a way how black gay men sort of deal with the duel issues of being gay and being black, and just how much time and effort goes into dealing with, or can go into dealing with, both, and in what degree. I don't have that duality. I would expect that fighting racism would come first.

And you kind of got into that-you have a life, work, etc. so how much can you put into something like this vs putting effort into fighting the things that have more of an effect on blacks in general. Thanks for the response-it kind of gets right at what I was thinking.

I honestly haven't been that up on it myself. There is classism, racism, the political situation. That post about the denial of the haircut got me thinking about it and how it might be the next 'big issue' because of these 'Religious Freedom' bills....but I can only ask about how this will play out among gay black men you know, when you are being discriminated against daily and face getting shot and stopped by the police, plus dealing with black homophobia(which again I am ignorant of). I just was curious about thoughts on this issue.

My view on it is of course biased because I don't have the double discrimination. I did not want to explicitly state anything about race, but it is there, and it would be an amendment of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

And I am commenting on this now because you may be the only responder as this thread seems to be a flop lol. Saturday nights are not the best time to post new threads.

4. grownman

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yes, dualism factors in this and most of the social issues that people of color face. I should have stated that and not just "I have a life." That was very inappropriate and should have been expounded. I'm sorry about that.

I wrote a response to a thread ( can't think of the name.) But, basically I talked about a experience with me being snubbed by of all places the "HRC." Really? Those 2 white guys basically ignored a naïve fresh out of the closet, young man. I had to go over to them and ask questions about the campaign.
    I begin to experience my first taste of "classicism and racism" that I felt leaving that building. It stung man, here I am excicted about the movement and ready to take on everybody." Huh. I got educated real quick and in a hurry. Lol.
    I became bitter and angry. I saw that there is no difference or experiencing "duality," I guess.

Lol. The "dap" and the new "vouyer"
    features. The voyeuristic feature i like/dislike lol. Sometimes, I'll glance at a post but don't write a response. But, it gives the posters how many and who. Yikes!

Jaa dapped this.
  5. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I think it will pass, if not now then in a few years. If it counts all orientations and identities, then any identities left out of the LGBTQIA alphabet soup should be covered. I wonder what exactly the Gaytekeepers are focused on now. Are they just maintaining things? Preparing to fight Religious Freedom bills?

I have never heard of this act until this post. I also have almost no SGL friends. One may know about this and just hasn't raised the topic, but he and the others generally seem more concerned with their careers, hobbies and dating/sex than LGBT politics. Another one, I doubt he thinks about the LGBT community at all. He's pretty entrenched in his own world and rarely interacts with openly LGBT people, probably because he's sort of DL. (He doesn't mess around with women, but isn't interested in correcting most's assumption that he is straight.)

#5 Jaa, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    ColumbusGuy and grownman dapped this.
  6. grownman

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    "The alphabet soup":...love it!

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I called and tried to volunteer for our local Stonewall Union and was treated rudely as hell, and then told I would get a call back-which I did not. I had called them before to ask about STI testing and was treated rudely as well. I don't know what the problem is with these organizations. Sometimes they act snobbier than a country club is seems. smh.

What is the 'voyeuristic stuff'? how many and who..what??? lol???

grownman dapped this.
  8. grownman

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Sorry, just getting back with you sir. The bottom of the threads-you can see who viewed your post. So, if I wanted to look at your post without you knowing-that's gone. Lol. But it's all good. Lol. That's one of the ways to track down trolls.

9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well damn..sometimes I look at posts without commenting..lol..I don't want people thinking I am a troll. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say, or am not sure what I think so I don't comment. I check out all kinds of new threads without commenting-sometimes the thread turns out to not be up your alley, so to speak. Oh well.
    :yeshrug:

10. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Sometimes topics are multifaceted and lend themselves to face-to-face conversations so respondents may not be able to do justice to the subject matter in the space provided. You guys have done a nice job in this post. I, on the other hand, would need a broader platform to get all of my thoughts across.

@grownman, I believe you can conceal your online status when you want to go undetected. Uncheck the box "show online status" when you want to go incognito. That way, unless you comment on a post, you should be able to see what's going on without feeling like a troll (even though most people would not view you that way). Check with Ocky and Nick, however. I may be off-base.