The Music Industry and Black Men

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by Jai, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I was listening to New Edition, one of their songs, "You're Not My King Of Girl" and perhaps I don't have a wide range of music knowledge now but I am somewhat certain that songs these days don't really talk about finding a sophisticated type partner or having some type of class or redeemable qualities. The most popular songs are really just about fucking and how wet their genitals are or what not.

Usually when I get in these moments of listening to certain songs I start researching or snooping around about the current state of these particular artists.

New Edition seems to be doing okay but my search somehow led me to a group called "The Temptations."

The-Temptations_(1964_publicity_photo_by_Kriegsmann).jpg

Um, yes, they all look so handsome, especially the one towards the lower rightside...

E1IeySiXoAYMClu.jpeg

I've heard the name before but really knew nothing about them.

Anyways, reading into more about the members I found that only one member is still alive today, Otis. The other memebers died years ago but in tragic ways.

One of them committed suicide, another died from drug overdose, another was taken over by alcohol, and others met their fate due to health issues.

I'm often interested in reading or seeing what life was like for Black Men who were considered "famous" in the Era of "in your face" racism.

(Well, that and also homosexuality too. Hey Tevin Campbell... He was actually singing all those songs to me.)

I remember taking an Uber maybe like 5 months ago and the driver was an older Black man and I sorted started a conversation with him about what life was like when he was much younger. I was being mighty nosy about how Blacks were treated in that time period (40' through the 60's.)

If I'm not mistaken, I think that may be the Sam Cooke era too. I was listening to his song, "A Change Is Gone Come" and it does something to me. Pretty sad song.

Anywho, Black Men seem to have shifted in the music industry. I couldn't find any songs condemning homosexuality or anything like I hear some of these modern "rappers" talking about. Sure, the older singers talked about heterosexual relationships and stuff but they never had songs that were so focused on downing Black Men or singling out men for liking other men and not having 7 baby mama etc...

I do like how some of the older music talks about struggles and complications in life but reading about the darker aspects of the music industry and the Black men who have died from a number of terrible issues behind the scenes makes me ponder about a lot of things, not just the drugs, racism, and violence but also the alleged and possible sexual advances on these men by the higher ups just to get their foot in the door.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  2. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    There are folks around who don't know about the Temptations? "My Girl," at the very least? Their TV movie is constantly on rotation on BET and VH1. lol.

3. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    It's a generational thing. When I read Jai's post, I laughed as it reminded me of the detached voice of white Republicans when they say "THE blacks".

As Smokey Robinson would say "Be kind to the growing mind"...

Little bruh @Jai, there is so much more black music out there us oldheads would love to introduce you to...

Screenshot_20210824-064239_Chrome.jpg

(Dusts off my original vinyl copy of the soundtrack to 1968's NBC TV special "TCB". Turns out the mother of Traci Ellis Ross worked for the same company as those Temp guys)

PS, no, Paul Williams was the sexiest Temptation and their original choreographer

#3 Winston Smith, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Jai dapped this.
  4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @Jai, you know, since you titled this thread "Black Men" it got me to thinking about how black masculinity in music grew to be so so much more natural and expressive in dress and flair by the early 80s, before hip hop and even some of the 90s r & b of my generation fucked up to be all hard and toxic. Black Reaganism.

Even before Prince or Nas X, black men in music were getting to be free in appearance and dress.

5. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah, I see a whole lot of stuff the stupid artists like DaBaby would call a "gay agenda" or men trying to be women. I like the freedom of style and expression back then. My how times have changed.

Winston Smith dapped this.