The Regressive Left and the LGBTQ SJW are reaching a point of no return

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Jun 28, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Two black intellectuals take on the Evergreen College issue.

Published on Jun 22, 2017
    01:18 Is Evergreen State evidence of a higher ed crisis?
    10:50 The drift toward fundamentalist ideologies of all kinds
    22:24 John: Leave Bill Maher alone
    31:57 Political correctness and religious zealotry
    36:31 Should we be talking about race and IQ?

Glenn Loury (Brown University) and John McWhorter (Time, Columbia University, Talking Back, Talking Black)

Join the conversation on Bloggingheads.tv:
    Bloggingheads.tv

3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    In recent years I've come to think college actually makes most people even more stupid. This dust up over nothing is perfect of why I think that way.

Winston Smith, I-Stay-Woke and OckyDub dapped this.
  4. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I am progressive and I will always stand up for so-called Social Justice Warriors. Won't I don't stand for is fundamentalism and these so-called activist don't have the breadth or depth of experience to understand that they are literally part of the problem. One of America's greatest exports has been higher-education and it still is, for the most part, College Campuses still represent a space where people can freely exchange ideas. Yet, we live in a culture where the most extreme voices and positions get the attention of the masses.

There are issues of a growingly intolerant regressive left and I think it is in direct response to a growingly intolerant fundamentalist right.

This particular situation seems strange to me because it doesn't appear that the protesters/activist/anarchists have a real endgame. Their demands are not solutions oriented. They all seem really emotional. Somebody needs a cookie and hug.

takeyourmeds91 dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    What's really sad is what passes for "knowledge and education" coming out of universities. Universities are not Socratic schools of free thought, in most cases. They are overpriced nurseries keeping people from dealing with real life and competing in a global marketplace that doesn't give a shit about lazy, stupid Americans and their butt-hurtness. The reality is, if you are not majoring in something practical like engineering, medicine, science, or math, more than likely you are taking on a five- or six-figure debt that will accomplish nothing in the evolving marketplace, especially with automation destroying even white collar jobs (for example, while I was in SoCal last month, a major law school shut its doors due to lack of law jobs and enrollment).

So, if someone is an idiot majoring in "social justice" "political science" or some other stupid, worthless major, and needs a "safe space" to save their dumb clueless ass from the harshness of the real world, they might as well just head to the meat factory 'cause the only thing these talentless liberal arts majors are good for in the technological age is Soylent Green (lmao).

#5 Winston Smith, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    ColumbusGuy and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  6. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    As a proud social science major, I'm shocked. I thought you guys liked Dear White People and BLM?

7. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    No offense meant, I openly admit my own bias against the social sciences and towards the hard sciences; plus my first undergrad degree was a ss one, so I admit to my own membership in the idiocracy when I was younger. Good luck with your major. I was thinking in terms of people who majored in sociology or poli sci because they were afraid of math and then blame the world/the 1%/whoever because they went to college as "rebels without a clue" and think society owes them because they ended up pushing frappacinos at Spendbucks Coffee with a B.A. They are usually the ones protesting at school because they think placards and protest signs are real life. They'll eventually be working for the ones studying differential equations at the university library during the protest...

In the end, college doesn't make you, regardless of major. The major only adds to whatever you already are. If you've got a good head on your shoulders, you'll make it; if you don't, no amount of letters is going to save you, anyway.

[​IMG]

8. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    As a former educator and resident scholar at a small expensive-ish liberal arts college, I am going to call foul here. I also have an undergraduate degree in "political science" and communications, I also have an advanced degree in International Relations specifically focusing on diplomacy and security studies and a teaching certificate in post-secondary higher ed.

I completely reject the premise previously stated. The experience of a liberal arts education affords unique opportunities, particularly for those who think outside the box. The hard sciences and many stem fields are heavily regulated, regimented and structured which leave little room for creativity and reflexibility. Those who are active learners in the liberal arts tradition hopefully leave their degree programs with the ability to critically think, problem-solve, use creativity and innovation and the ability to write constructively. That is what a liberal arts education provides. Those skills are markedly useful to employers and job markets.

There are a lot of kids who flounder those skills....I often found the kids who were taking my courses from other disciplines to get a particular credit checked off were rigid in their ideas, I remember asking engineering students what are things they could do with a brick, they gave me a list of practical options, my creative writing kids gave me a list of unique ideas. Their brains worked differently. Stem isn't for everyone.

I recently hired an Art Historian to help me with an antiquities case I am working, she said so many people told her to not study art history but imagine if everyone left the humanities or the arts and sciences for natural science and stem we would lose knowledge. We need art historians and classics thinkers and political scientists and researchers because knowledge doesn't fit in a cute box.

[​IMG]

MegamanX dapped this.
  9. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    We would lose knowledge without liberal arts? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    [​IMG]
    There's this wonderful thing invented by STEM folk called The Internet. It not only retains knowledge but helps increase it!

I'll let my man, resident Black genius Neil DeGrasse Tyson, speak on how he ignored the hell out of black SJW liberal arts types and made the best decision of his life

10. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I was partially joking lol.
    But I've noticed on here that some of you have these strong views about college students and criticize what they're studying.
    I've never experienced these types of characters on campus and clearly I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on at others either. I was under the impression that the pathways for us social/political science majors were MSW programs, Human services, Education, reform, public policy, law, research, etc. You know, putting what they studied to good use then let's say graduating and going onto twitter/tumblr.
    Sociology has many different concentrations but I took courses mainly in education, business/organizations, and urban life because that's what interests me besides research methods -- you can't avoid math there. You have to take stats and sometimes w/o SPSS and people flip their shit or retake the course until they finally pass. I guess I don't know what it's like on the other side where people are into queer theory for example... The term SJW is cringey (corny) and meaningless to me because I feel like it's often thrown around loosely but I think these kids may be the best example of it that I've seen I guess?

Winston Smith dapped this.
  11. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    SJW is a pejorative that has been elevated by Alt-Right internet space that covers just about everything other than actual social justice. The kind that was promoted during the nonviolent factions of the civil rights movement.

There is something novel about deep thinking and study. I markedly know more about the history and weaponization of uranium mining and the development of WMD than any mathematician outside of an actual nuclear physicist and even then can a nuclear physicist explain in plain language the politics of WMD? I took a couple years to dig deeply, forge historical analyses, explore political theories, and apply all of that to current observations. Physicians are healers but just because you are a healer doesn't mean you are a peacemaker.

Art History and Queer Theory are always on chopping block but think about how many Art historians can you name or queer scholars? In the grand scheme of academia those fields are small...we should encourage people to be the thinkers and scholars of tomorrow. Lastly, the vast majority of people in America (70%) and the world (90%) don't have any college education at all. The people we are talking about is not even a drop in the bucket with respect to humanity. So my point is further revealed. Out of the 30% of Americans who have some sort of higher education, how many do we really think study queer theory or art history?

MegamanX, Cyrus-Brooks and OhSheit dapped this.
  12. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    As a kid I was equally right- and left-brain, so I was just as good at math and science, as I was figure drawing and creative writing. I also went to art college for a year before I realized what a waste of time and money it was. I never forgot the stupid assed art history class I took taught by some fey British dude. A white girl asked this historian why the agent Egyptians painted in the symbolic flat style they did; he told her it was because they didn't understand perspective.

Luckily, my left brain knew that a group of brown and black people who could build massive pyramids without modern construction equipment, computers, and only an understanding of geometry and trigonometry had to be able to understand "perspective", and that the art historian was full of shit and didn't know what he was talking about. Luckily for me, I saw the light, got the hell out of art college and went to get a real education.

It's more important for black students to go into business, engineering, hard sciences, than liberal arts. I've seen this time and again where black kids are tracked or encouraged by the public school system to go into crap that will not benefit them later in life. A good grounding in math and sciences helps to make black kids more viable in the modern marketplace. That's why I support initiatives like Black Girls Code. The world needs more Mae Jemisons not Condaleeza or Susan Rices. Who has done more for humanity, the scientists and business folk who've advanced medicine, agriculture, technology and jobs for the masses, or the liberal arts types turned government bureaucrats who start and get us into all the wars and look out for their own elite asses while leaving the rest behind (thus paving the way for backlash and charlatans like Trump to ascend)? When David Halberstam named his book about all the Ivy League liberal arts knuckleheads in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations that got us ensnared in Vietnam, "The Best and the Brightest", he was being facetious not complimentary.

So, yeah, I understand you hiring an art major. But remember, my branch of the government is the one that actually hunts down, arrests perpetrators, and returns the antiquities to foreign governments...and this is done by intelligent law enforcement folk with math and science skills.

Anyway, I like jousting with ya bruh. Somebody got to be the WEB DuBois role to my Booker T. Washington/Marcus Garvey/T. Thomas Fortune...

And I just realized you actually got me to complement Federal workers for once, so
    [​IMG]

#12 Winston Smith, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  13. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Diplomacy 101, get the person you are trying to persuade to come far enough to be able to make the turn. Diplomacy is about getting most of your interests and demands met by giving just enough to forge an opening. Nothing more, nothing less. I hear you. We need more black Americans to double down on, take hard courses pursue entrepreneurship and study the history of black art.

[​IMG]