The Rise of the ‘Bromosexual’ Friendship

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by cuspofbeauty, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The Rise of the ‘Bromosexual’ Friendship[​IMG]
    A recent ad for the Bravo TV show “Shahs of Sunset” finds two of its male stars lazing on lounge chairs at the beach. Amid a scene of scantily clad sun worshipers, the best friends Reza Farahan and Mike Shouhed gaze at different objects of desire: Mr. Farahan at musclebound guys, Mr. Shouhed at voluptuous women.

Their distinct lusts, which may have alienated gay and straight men from each other in the past, inspire the ultimate gesture of fraternal connection: a fist bump.

“Mike and I are so similar,” Mr. Farahan said. “He has been a womanizer and I’ve been a player. In the ad, we’re having a moment, and it’s the same moment. The only difference is that I’m looking at men and he’s looking at women.”

The bond strikes the Irish author Jarlath Gregory as fresh for the culture and familiar to him. His latest novel, “The Organised Criminal,” has at its center a brotherly friendship between a gay man and a straight man.

“That kind of easy relationship would not be credible to a broad audience 10 years ago,” said Mr. Gregory, 38, who is gay. “One of the things my publisher liked about my book was that this friendship was something we haven’t seen much before.”

At least in pop culture we haven’t. Obviously, there have always been friendships between gay men and straight men, but only recently have they become more prominently, and comfortably, represented in TV shows, movies, books and blogs.

There is often a traditionally masculine sense of familiarity at play in these portrayals, exuding a feeling particular enough to suggest its own term: bromosexual relationships.

Their emerging representation contrasts with one that has become a cliché: the connection between a straight woman and her gay male best friend.

The latest media reflection also takes a significant leap from one of its earliest iterations. From 2003 to 2007, “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” presented gay men as magical beings who functioned as helpers to heterosexual men, schooling them in matters of fashion and home décor while keeping much of their own lives off-screen.

By contrast, the last season of “Scream Queens” found the hunky Nick Jonas presenting himself as a gay frat boy who bonds over golf with his straight fraternity brother and best friend, Chad.

Wing Men
    In the recent documentary “Strike a Pose,”about Madonna’s dance troupe from her “Blond Ambition” tour, a key plotline traces the arc of the lone straight dancer from homophobe to a man who becomes emotionally liberated by his many gay friends. Another Bravo series, “Manzo’d With Children,” prominently features the relationship between the heterosexual lead brothers and their gay best friend, who was previously their roommate.

And that network’s most recognizable representative, Andy Cohen, who is gay, rarely misses an opportunity to toast his close kinship with the guitar hero and ultimate ladies man John Mayer.

Mr. Cohen mentions Mr. Mayer no fewer than 14 times in his best-selling book “The Andy Cohen Diaries.” He also wrote an article for Entertainment Weekly last year chronicling their bromosexual exploits. In one outing, during gay pride weekend, they attended a concert by an incarnation of a band both men love, the Grateful Dead.

Mr. Cohen wrote that a friend had texted him: “if I’d celebrated gay pride in any more of a straight way, I’d have had sex with a girl at the Super Bowl.” Another night, Mr. Cohen and Mr. Mayer went to a gay bar, where Mr. Cohen found that his heterosexual pal was the “ultimate wing man.”

“Straight men are very good that way,” said David Toussaint, whose compilation of essays, “Toussaint!,” contains many humorous pieces about sexual identity. “If I’m walking down the street with this young, straight guy I know, and he sees a guy look at me, he’ll say, ‘Go get him!’”

Vin Testa, 26, a math teacher in Washington, D.C., who is also an L.G.B.T. liaison for the district’s public schools, said the changes in relationships between straight and gay men have been so rapid that he sees a significant difference just since he graduated from high school. One of his greatest obstacles in coming out, he said, was something he thinks many gay men share: “the intense fear of losing those masculine friendships we have had.”

As it happened, the main impetus for Mr. Testa to come out in college was discovering that friends from his high school football team were “the ones who most wanted me to do it,” he said. “They were honestly concerned for me.”

Mr. Gregory, the Irish author, thinks that one connecting point for the younger generation is the proliferation of geek culture. “It’s technology, superhero movies, Pokémon Go and even some indie rock,” he said. “They’re all part of an often male culture that young gay guys feel part of, too.”

For men of an older generation, there is more distrust to surmount. “Our traditional way of thinking of relationships with gay and straight men is that they are hostile, even bullying,” said Michael LaSala, 57, the author of “Coming Out, Coming Home: Helping Families Adjust to a Gay or Lesbian Child.” “For that reason, gay men have traditionally not felt comfortable in these relationships.”

Mr. LaSala, who is gay, said he could not imagine being close friends with a straight man when he was in his 20s. In the last few years, however, he has formed a warm bond with Dr. Robert Garfield, 70, a straight man who wrote the book“Breaking the Male Code: Unlocking the Power of Friendship.” The two lecture together on the negative effects of homophobia on straight and gay males.

“My relationship with Michael, and with other gay men, is wonderful for me,” Dr. Garfield said. “It expands me as a human being. There’s a playfulness in talking about sex that I don’t hear from my straight male friends.”

A Balm for Old Wounds
    “There’s a sense of a reprieve,” said Odie Lindsey, 45, a straight fiction writer and gulf war veteran, whose new book of short stories, “We Come to Our Senses,” features several gay characters. “With heterosexual male friends, sometimes a subject comes up that will require a particular allegiance to what guys are expected to say and do. That can feel blustery and false. It’s nice not to have to listen to a chorus of people who feel compelled to act the same way.”

For gay men, Mr. LaSala said: “friendships with straight men can be very healing. When you experience a close friendship with a straight guy and that person is very accepting, it’s a balm for some old wounds.”

At the same time, striking contrasts exist in the two worlds. Gay men say it is common for their heterosexual male friends to be jealous of, or at least compelled by, the efficiency and seeming ubiquity of man-on-man hookups.

“Straight guys complain, ‘You can just meet a guy and go home and have sex,’” Mr. Toussaint said. “One hot straight guy I know complains, ‘With a girl, I have to take her out and put on all these airs, when all I want to do is sleep with her and move on.’”

In sex and dating, straight men also have to navigate complex power imbalances between the genders. Gay men can avoid that anxiety.

On the other side, some gay men express jealousy over certain aspects of heterosexual male presentation. “Straight guys can let themselves go and no one cares,” Mr. Gregory said. “Gay men are judging each other worse than women in terms of body shaming.”

If such contrasts create fascination, other distinctions can be damaging. The cliché and lingering suspicion that a gay man may harbor a crush on his straight friend potentially throws off the power balance and erodes trust. “A gay man can worry, ‘What if this guy thinks I’m coming on to him?’” Mr. LaSala said. “‘And what would that mean for the relationship?’”

The writers of “Scream Queens” exorcised that anxiety through satire in a scene that gained traction on YouTube. It portrayed Mr. Jonas’s character conning his way into the bed of his straight best friend. “That kind of crush seems really antique,” said Lucas Whitehead, 29, a straight man who lives in a brownstone in Fort Greene populated by a revolving mix of heterosexual and homosexual males.

Amid his milieu, he reports zero self-consciousness about having gay friends or roommates. Yet disconnects do linger, some of them concerning sex. “I’ll talk to gay friends about the before, not the after,” Mr. Whitehead said.

It’s an attitude echoed by one of his gay roommates, Ben Moss, 25, who said: “I talk with straight guys about what surrounds the sex rather than what we’ve actually done.”

According to Mr. LaSala, many well-meaning straight guys can feel awkward addressing subjects they know they don’t fully understand. He thinks it’s important for straight men to acknowledge the differences.

He relates this to friendships between those of a different race. “Some of us who are white are rightfully accused of being ‘colorblind,’” Mr. LaSala said. “There’s an equivalent for straight men who can be ‘culture blind.’”

Sometimes there is dissonance when one friend finds himself in a group dominated by those of another orientation, rather than connecting one to one. “Listening to bunches of straight guys together is like hearing a foreign tongue,” Mr. Toussaint said. “The language is so strangely impersonal: ‘dude,’ ‘brewskies,’ ‘the game.’ They must feel the same way about the things we talk about.”

At the same time, many men find value in the distinctions.

“I’m happy that I get to live around people who have a different life experience than I do, and I’m happy that they get to be around me,” Mr. Moss said. “A homogeneous experience in friendships isn’t good for anyone.”

View attachment upload_2016-10-5_14-25-19.gif

View attachment upload_2016-10-5_14-25-18.gif

2. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I was just about to post this but you already did.

I will say my closest friendships in life are with straight men and we have been close since we were roommates in our college and younger years. Those gents are my legit ride or dies.

I do agree with the weirdness of talking about sex, though.

LeMignon dapped this.
  3. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I have not one straight male friend. Kinda wish I did though.

4. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I have three straight male close friends, two of which served as co-bestmen in my wedding because I couldn't choose between them.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Oh you're married, congrats

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  6. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    No straight male friends at all. The issue was never me. The issue was always "Yo! He gay....He gonna turn you out!"..lol Sad but very true.

Cyrus-Brooks and Jdudre dapped this.
  7. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Does that even happen? LOL. I have never really gotten the concept of getting turned out LMAO!!

Nigerian Prince and Jdudre dapped this.
  8. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Nope. That notion comes from the fact that many narrow minded people assume that there are Gay vampires infecting people with "The GAY".

Jdudre and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  9. Shon

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    This is a very interesting topic. I think that being a gay male (at least for me), you naturally gravitate toward women and having them as friends...like ALL of my best friends are women or gay men. However, I have a few straight male friends and we have cool relationships. Definitely good to have just to talk about stuff from another man's perspective.

Nigerian Prince and cuspofbeauty dapped this.
  10. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The best sex I never had has been with my straight male friends...They are all handsome, intelligent, successful, creative, down to earth, give great conversation and (for the most part) single. If I could meet gay men as dope as them, I would have been married years ago.

LeMignon, ColumbusGuy, Dante and 2 others dapped this.
  11. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Why does everything have to have a sexual or sexuality context attached to it?

Bromosexuals....REALLY?

I know this may be tongue and cheek but I find it unnecessary and distracting. I wish I had more male masculine leaning friends, regardless of orientation or race.

ColumbusGuy, alton and Dante dapped this.
  12. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Someone told me that a former roommate tried something when he was inebriated.

Most of my friends throughout life have been straight men. There have been a few women but we usually don't become as close. My one current gay friend/acquaintance began as a hookup and we realized that we enjoyed one another's company without having to get off. I recently met a second one but I'm not sure we'd be in touch much if we weren't still messing around. Years ago, I had a close friend who revealed/realized that he wasn't straight and that friendship was always platonic, but we grew apart. And I think I've had a few unconfirmed DL, or just not really out, acquaintances.

#12 Jaa, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  13. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    You have had sex with your friends? I can't officiate another man being my friend if we have had or are having sex...lol The friendship title is out the door.

alton dapped this.
  14. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    LOL he means mind sex...

alton dapped this.
  15. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I think a ton of straight Bros have/had a gay friend they interact with far more intimately than they would their straight home boys. I personally have seen straight dudes treat gay men especially effeminate ones like they would women they respect in some ways. My generation and the one after doesn't have as much of a hang up as I see older cats have.

LeMignon and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  16. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I do have quite a few straight male friends from high school and before that. Grateful for them. We can talk about what we like about men and women or whatever. They openly admit their "guy crushes" but it is nothing like "if I were gay, I would go for such-and-such".

As for gay friends, I definitely have my twin brother, a guy I became very close to out in FL then my "gay dads" (mentors and friends) that I am the closest to. With the other gays I know, we definitely support one another and hang out when we can.

LeMignon dapped this.
  17. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Amen!

Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  18. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    "The best sex I never had has been with my straight male friends..."

Nick Delmacy dapped this.
  19. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Oops...Thanks for the clarification.

20. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah that wasnt a typo, lol...

21. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Actually it it can go back farther than that. I have had some good friendships with straight guys. Not being treated like a woman or anything. I think it goes back to growing up around straight guys and few women. Older brothers with their friends around, etc. And of course all of the 'experimentation' and all with teenage straight boys when I was a teen and all. I never had a sleepover with a guy friend where there was NOT some kind of sexual horseplay. There was always something lol. Plus my best friends when young were straight white boys.

I think being white and gay the culture has been different though...even back then to a degree. It can be amazing the kind of sh#t that straight guys will tell you when they are relaxed and had a few beers. Damn! All their personal business can come flooding out!
    :rocks::dwill::ooh:

22. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I only have one gay friend (a dude). My two closest male friends are straight. This story kinda mirrors my life.

23. Luke Evergreen

Luke Evergreen Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    All my straight male friends thinks that just because a guy is gay he's preying on you and trying to convert you. They even make jokes thinking every gay guy they see is trying to rape them. I only hang with them because it's hard to find gay people off the internet.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  24. Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.....
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I only have had straight guy best friends. They are so attracted to being around me for some odd reason and we actually cuddle and watch movies together (True Bromance). I have absolutely no GAY guy friends, which is weird.

LeMignon dapped this.
  25. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I think the term "bromosexual" is a mischaracterization. It's kinda unfortunate that a friendship between a gay man and straight man is automatically assumed to be or implied to be homoerotic. The irony is I tend get along better with many straight dudes better than many gay dudes. I've had a friendships with straight men and they were just that friendships, nothing "bromantic" about them at all. However I can understand gay men who shy away from forming friendships with straight men for fear of rejection or for personal safety reasons because many if not most of them have negative attitudes toward us.

OckyDub and Dante dapped this.
  26. Dante

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I would fucking die if I had straight male friends that cuddle with me...YESSSSS!

LeMignon dapped this.
  27. Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.....
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Lol I never really looked at it as a benefit like that. Honestly it's always been so normal

28. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Now that I think of it. It seems like as long as I can remember the most homophobic straight guys want to be friends with me. Which I find to be really weird considering that I have no sexual attraction to women at all. I'm not sure if it's some kind of setup or if they are just that genuinely clueless to the fact that I am gay.
    fry-philip-j.-fry-futurama.jpg

I-Stay-Woke dapped this.
  29. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    No straight male friends. I grew up mostly around my grandmother, mother and aunts. I'm kinda soft but not feminine. Most of the straight guys I know are hardcore or I do exactly relate with. I have one sorts straight friend in a group of mine but we used to argue often....cuz he said some of my ways seem like a female...lol