The Silent HIV Crisis Sweeping the American South

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by OckyDub, Dec 3, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  2. handsomeguy25

handsomeguy25 Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Heterosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Educational, touching and the filmography was executed very well. Thanks for sharing man!

3. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This is very real, and not just in the Deep South. It's also not getting any better, sadly, since people aren't taking it seriously. And though it's partially an education thing, sometimes it isn't- 2 or 3 months back I met a highly educated professional dude who talked about "raw realness". We had a disagreement since I had reservations about it. He is HIV positive.

All I'm saying is the spread of HIV is multifactorial. Access and education are one thing. Attitude is something else entirely.

#3 NikR, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Nigerian Prince and Dante dapped this.
  4. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    What I don't understand about combatting HIV in America is that we seem to be getting worse at it. I worked on two assignments regarding HIV/AIDS in Haiti and Liberia under the United States President's Emergency Plan for Aids Relief (PEPFAR) and I have noticed that we have a shyness when it comes to talking about HIV/AIDS. In most countries particularly those ravaged by the disease confront and talk about the disease as such. Combating an illness. In the United States, HIV/AIDS is sexualized first and treated as a disease second. We should start talking about HIV/AIDS in the same matter as we talk about Cancer or Heart Disease.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Very true. Many factors play into the onslaught of HIV/AIDS.

6. handsomeguy25

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Heterosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking

Im curious about the term you used in quotes... what do you mean by that?

7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Did you see this @DreG?

I feel a lot of different things after viewing this.

When I talk to people about how dating is or was for me when I was in Mississippi, I always mention that there is a cut off age where once you hit your late 20s your dating pool becomes exponentially shallow. If you are not married by your early 30s "something is wrong with you." Which leads to all the DL dudes there.

Jackson is a college town that doesn't know it is or function like it. Jackson State, Mississippi College, University of Mississippi Medical, Millsaps, Mississippi College, Tugaloo, and at least 3 JuCos. Plus it attracts other college students from the smaller towns in a 75 mile radius. So there's a constant flow of young people in and out. A significant amount of these college students don't stay after graduation. So you can date / have sex or whatever only for long as you can attract that demographic.

I think HIV is so prevalent because you don't have comprehensive sex education and too many people think that it won't happen to them. HIV is sexualized and unfairly criminalized and heterosexual people are apathetic because it's not their problem.

This was a little frustrating to watch because I knew exactly what everyone was talking about. When the HRC rep said he was white I had just said "but you white tho" a moment before. I am glad he recognizes that.

I wonder what I could do to help Open Arms? I may be changing my Amazon Smile donations from My Brothers Keeper (also in Mississippi) to them.

Also.... Dr. Mena, I see you ain't got no ring on. I love his accent.

And for what it's worth, all of Jackson doesn't look like abandoned houses and ish all over. They literally picked THE worse places for that filler footage.

Dante, DreG, OckyDub and 1 other person dapped this.
  8. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm sure he means that the professional he spoke with is insinuating that unprotected sex feels better.

9. handsomeguy25

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Heterosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's what it sounded like, but I wasn't sure. When you hear the term "realness" in the gay community... unfortunately other thoughts come to mind.

10. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    It does. There's no lying there. It's not significantly better to deal with the acquisition of HIV or other STDS for IMO.

These "raw with randoms" people are out their minds.

11. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux

Daps Received:
    There are a lot of people who aren't being realistic about sex education and awareness.They're teaching abstinence over safe sex,but then they wonder why teen pregnancies are sky-roceketing.This also makes young boys too scared to buy condoms,but not scared of running a train on a girl with their friends,raw.Once they catch something,they can't tell their parents,and leave it untreated,and spread it to the next girl and all their friends with the next train (true story of some kids my mom taught).

I know sooooooo many straight people who don't even bother with condoms,despite having a wife and 3 girlfriends,or women who have 3 men in their life.I know some people who are in 2 or 3 simultaneous relationships who openly admit they have no intention of using condoms,and haven't done so for the better part of the 2000s.And these people are fully-grown adults in their 30s or above.

Then with our people(the gays) you have folks who feel the pressure to marry women ,but still fuck around on the side with dudes like @ControlledXaos mentioned.That keeps the cycle going of the DL Villain in the community,but no one is thinking about how spewing venom towards anything that doesn't fit their idea of a proper heterosexual man is why we have guys who are stepping out with other dudes,but their denial and shame prevents them from properly acknowledging their actions by buying condoms,and getting tested.

A few of the guys I've known who contracted HIV said it was because they let their guard down and stopped being safe,but trusted the wrong person who was sleeping around.Passion is messing people up too.
    Or you have guys who just aren't mentally mature enough to think about taking care of themselves on that level ,and they assume if the guy says he's clean and looks healthy,they're safe.

They really did.They really went to different scattered areas to find buildings in dissaray to paint a picture.
    RIGHT! Folks are crazy over Dr Quinn,but Dr Mena's voice has me ready to make an appointment.

Nigerian Prince and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  12. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    These "raw with randoms" people are out their minds.[/QUOTE]

And these "HIV+, undetectable, raw with randoms are beyond out of their minds.

It is sad that people petitioned to, protested, and damn near threw a child fit over the existence of sex education in schools. It literally was the worst idea in the world to have taken it out of the school curriculum. I guess it is more important to know what 4x6(8-9)/43 is than it is to know about HIV and the prevention of it, let alone masturbation, which is a safe sex activity.

DreG and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  13. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    If you knowingly have HIV, undetected or not, and are you are hooking up, you should stop having raw sex. Full stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00, do collect some condoms.

If you have a partner/husband who is negative and you want to go raw, feel free. That's partly what prep is for.

Another thought from the video...

What's amazing to me is how several of these guys didn't bother getting an HIV test until things got really bad. The mentality of being single, hooking up, and not getting regularly tested boggles me. I could understand even if you only hooked up every blue moon but shouldn't you get a test 90 days after the last hook up? Or at least with some regularity?

Dante and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  14. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    To your 1st point about going raw in a relationship with 2 HIV- negative partners, I disagree because there are still the other STDs out there. Also, you have to love and trust yourself first because you NEVER know when a partner might step out of the relationship and have unprotected sex. Research a few years ago showed that quite a few new incidences of HIV onset came from those in long-term relationships that trusted their partner enough to bareback.

As for the other point about them waiting until things got really bad until getting an HIV exam, most of the time humans do that all the time for illnesses whether they are big or small. We don't think that cough is anything and we wait and wait some more until things get really bad then we feel compelled to schedule that doctor visit or if it is THAT bad we go to the emergency room.

15. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    ^ ALL OF THE ABOVE ^

Also: Just like in my reply to @ControlledXaos you have those dudes who let their guard down in a relationship and then it happens.

DreG dapped this.
  16. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    I said "partner/husband" not just a relationship. If someone is married I wouldn't expect them to use a condom if they didn't want to.

I think that when people think like that that are never going to fully, 100 percent trust their husband. While I don't think it's realistic to say people don't step out on a marriage I also don't go with thinking that gay men will all eventually acquire HIV either.

A cough is one thing but either way, in this situation with this demographic, with particular sexual activity, regular testing for HIV should be on a regular basis.