This Que Wants To “Make The D9 Black Again”

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Jun 30, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

The Atlanta Greek Picnic is an annual function for members of the Greek Lettered community. Between community service, parties and a picnic; Atlanta Greek Picnic gives members the opportunity to congregate, fellowship and network among one another.

At the picnic, numerous members of the Divine Nine sport paraphernalia that showcases their love for their respective organizations. As a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. (Shoutout to the Zeta Chapter at Virginia Union University) I made my way to Atlanta to join in. But with a purpose.

I chose to wear a shirt at the AGP that I knew would bring some controversy, but it would also bring up a conversation that many in the Divine Nine are scared to have. There is a historical context to the shirt. It is bigger than the phrase. That is what I intended on explaining to individuals in person.

However, I realized in this generation, that nobody wants to speak face to face. They would rather speak their piece over the internet. I planned to wear this shirt for months before Atlanta Greek Picnic. For those who know me, activism through fashion is just as important as activism through my voice and literature. Such a shirt like this is nothing new to me. I have worn Sweaters saying “Black Female Consumption Only” or “Everybody Wanna Be Black Until It’s Time To Be Black,” in the past. I have also worn shirts saying “Malcolm Taught Me” or “Blacker The College, The Sweeter the Knowledge.”

My inspiration stems from the history that I love to study. It comes from my love for my people. I just want to see my people thrive. I made a promise to my mom before she passed away that I was going to do something to change the world. Historically, black people’s kindness can be looked at as a weakness. In my opinion, integration may not have been the best thing for Blacks for this exact reason, the fear of an infiltration and then a takeover.

The history of black organizations and businesses will continue to end with the same exact result if we continue to allow any and everyone to join. It seems like Blacks can never have anything of their own. Then we will cry about Culture Vultures and people “appropriating” our culture. Then when non-Black members accede to the Divine Nine, they are put on a pedestal and praised just because they’re not black. There are a few examples of this, including the White Kappa who shimmied and became the most famous Divine Nine member. He didn’t do that; black folks did that.

I see people show their dislike for people like YesJulz, but chapters are crossing people just like her every semester.

The Divine Nine will be controlled by non-Black members soon if we continue on this path. Blacks feel if we make our organizations inclusive then we look better than white organizations but in reality, they do not care. White people would not go this hard for their Black members, but Blacks will always put down a brotha speaking truth to allow their white peers to remain comfortable.

It is more about the infiltration than solely not wanting certain races to be a part of the Divine Nine. Will white members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon stand up for their black members like black people are doing for the non-black members of the Divine Nine? I’d say probably not.

I fear that the Divine Nine will be controlled by non-Blacks shortly. It is disheartening to see Black Divine Nine members remain oblivious to the potential takeover of our organizations. That was the inspiration behind the shirt. Not to shun the non-Black members but to let the Divine Nine know that we’re getting to the point where we are going to integrate our organizations to where we won’t control them any longer.

Everyone does not deserve an invitation to The Cookout!

This Que Wants To "Make The D9 Black Again" - HBCU Gameday

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    The only part I agree with is the fact that when a white member of a D9 organization displays the bare minimum level of rhythm, they're automatically placed on a pedestal. That's some bs. Rewarding white mediocrity.

The rest, I'm not really feeling. In my experience, non-black D9 Greeks, whites in particular, who join D9 organizations, fully acknowledge that they're joining a black organization and they also tend to come in with a certain level of "wokeness." I think that's what differentiates this from straight up "culture vultures" or appropriators. (This is also why I think critics of Bruno Mars who say he's a culture vulture are reaching super hard. He fully acknowledges that he's doing black music and he's respectful of it. Unlike Iggy Azalea. But that's another topic). Anyway, non-black D9 Greeks don't claim to be the originators of the org and they don't necessarily attempt to whitewash the org. (Although I admit some do, but they're in the minority). I say, as long as they're respectful, understand that blackness is always going to be a core component of D9 organizations, I'm okay with it.

Omega Level dapped this.
  3. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I agree with all of your points here. And I would further add as a D9 member I have seen other races become a part of many of the D9 organizations. However, the percentage of these people joining is still very low. So trying to alarm people of a "problem"that doesn't exist just seems premature and in this case, ignorant as fuck.

100% agree that having a white member step on the yard does not call for everyone circling them with applause and acceptance. Like they are doing something so foreign to us. That indeed is bullshit.

But getting to the point of insinuating a BLACKS ONLY rule or a quota of "other" races a D9 organization should accept is hella ignorant. Are we going to continue as black people to want to be accepted in this world, but circle back to not accepting others?

Sean and acessential dapped this.
  4. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This coming from a member of the org that notoriously takes the longest to graduate it's members. Much ado about nothing here.