To boycott or not to boycott

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by cuspofbeauty, Nov 16, 2016.

1. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Black-Owned Restaurant Facing Boycott After Catering a Trump Event

[​IMG]
    Chef Don Studvent taking a photo with some customers in his restaurant
    Chef Don Studvent, a Black business owner in Detroit, Michigan, is under fire for catering an event for Donald Trump's son. His 7-year old restaurant, the 1917 American Bistro, serves well-prepared dishes ranging from grilled shrimp, salmon and chicken to blackened or deep-fried catfish. But they are facing a potential boycott by other African Americans and others protestors against Donald Trump's presidency.

What's the big deal?

Studvent was reportedly just returning to the event to pick up his pots and pans when he got caught in a photo-op. His picture taken with Trump's son ended up all over Facebook, and people started reacting in a way that was never expected.

People began accusing him of "selling out" and postings on Facebook started to appear calling for people to boycott his restaurant and catering service.

Business is business... right?

Studvent believes that business is business and has nothing to do with politics, but the public has turned the event into a political issue. They are saying that because of Trump's rocky relationship with the Black community, no Black-owned business should do business with him or his family members.

But Studvent has explained that he doesn't take political sides when it comes to his business. “This is my living,” he said. “And it’s not just my living, my employees as well.”

The bad publicity has left Studvent's restaurant almost empty lately. He is hoping it all blows over soon and he gets his customers back. He says that the whole thing is unfair, and very hurtful to his company and his employees.

"I don’t deserve this crap," Studvent told WYYZ.com.

2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Tricky situation. Had he opted to not take on the Trump catering job for fear of the Black Community's reaction then he'd most likely have been boycotted by the White Elites and shut down completely, ending up even more f#$ked than what he is now. Because who's to say the community wouldve really stood up for him had he decided to take that route. We're not particularly known for standing up for one another in financial situations, aside from being Internet Troops. smh

DreG, OhSheit, ColumbusGuy and 1 other person dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This is tricky. When it comes to public accommodations like hotels, motels, and yes, restaurants, you serve anyone as long as they abide by the rules. There can be rules(like not shirt, no shoes, no service), but what we are should be trying to get to in society is that in pubic accommodations, anyone who follows the rules can be served.

This was not a private restaurant or club with a membership. If they had been turned away, this would have been no different than someone who owns a public restaurant and who does not approve of homosexuality refusing to serve, or asking to leave, gays who are not behaving any differently than anyone else. They would not have been able to turn down a group if the reason was race, sex, nation of origin, etc. Why should political views be any different? Why should sexual orientation be any different? Just serve the people as long as they are not dressed in Klan robes.

*The one thing that I can see people really having a problem with is taking the photo with the group-that is going beyond just 'serving the customer' in a sense-or it can at least be seen that way. And again, people also have a right to boycott a business for just about any reason, but I don't think I would be a part of a boycott of this business.

If a business served a know homophobe I would not boycott them, as long as they said the person requested the photo and they did not want to be rude and were not advocating for that person-they were just doing what they always do when someone asks for a photo or something-not doing anything differently than they would for anyone.

JMHO

Jdudre and cuspofbeauty dapped this.
  4. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    If he had of turned the job down because he accused Trump's son of being gay, Whites and Blacks would be happy. I don't think the LGBTQ backlash would have hurt him being that his restaurant is in the Black community.

DreG and Winston Smith dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Ok all the niggas that live in his vicinity and complaining about his commission, how many times have you ordered or used his services? Uh-huh, that's what I thought...

SHUT THE MUTHFUK UP

Niggas kill me. They don't support black businesses worth shit, then when a business gets an opportunity to make bank on celebrity dime everybody wants to muthafukkin back seat drive. I've known plenty of black professionals from clinical psychologists to fine artists that would have starved to death if they had only relied on black consumers (much as they wanted to).

Where da hell is Dr Boyce Watkins to break up this foolishness?!?!? Did fucking Hillary, the CBC, or anyone else on the so-called left kick business to this man? What was Hillary's, Nancy Pelosi's, Bernie Sander's position on increasing black business?

I need to step off as I'm too close to the issue of black business and lazy assed NON entrepreneurial motor mouths. But Gil Scott Heron summed up my feelings on black capitalism and blacker than thou niggas that won't bust a grape in this poem

DreG dapped this.
  6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I used to give this article out to my nephews. While I don't subscribe to the NOI's religion, I agree with Mr. Muhammad's sentiment, especially when I see black whiners and people who don't create or build shit but can criticize those who do:

How To Get and Keep Employment
    By Elijah Muhammad

Reprinted from the November 12, 1965 issue of Muhammad Speaks

No. 1-We must recognize people, their office and authority whom we are seeking employment from-that they are the people who own the country and are in authority. They are the people who created the job which we are seeking. They are the people from whom we are actually seeking our existence, whether we work or play.

No. 2-It is true that we are free for the last 100 years. We are supposed to have been free to do something for self -- make our own job. But we have not the unity or the wisdom to create jobs for ourselves--usually without the desire to shoulder the responsibility of doing something for self.

Today I say right here, that we are proving ourselves unworthy of the freedom to become an independent nation, by our refusing the responsibility to go out like men and women seeking the necessities of life and well-being of our own self and nation.

We now are actually making ourselves a shameful people by begging our slavemasters to continue carrying our responsibilities after 100 years of freedom--from the master's mouth.

REGARDLESS how treacherously this freedom was granted, we have had 100 years in which to side-step this treachery and find the most positive way out of it -- unity, education, love of self and kind first, instead of trying to love everybody on the face of the earth and trying to please everybody before self, or work towards the things which are most pleasing to self.

Now, to prove the ignorance in this matter, is the Civil Rights Movement -- which is not asking for anything but a chance to become a permanent free slave to the same people to whom our fathers were in servitude slavery. We could not be justified in asking the slavemaster for equal freedom, equal justice and equality in what is his, if we have the freedom to go for self.

WE SHOULD even ask them to forgive us for asking them for employment or for even asking them for a bowl of soup or a piece of bread, after they gave us 100 years to do for self. You may not like this--but truth is truth.

Go to the employment office of the white man --the creators of your jobs--with the above words in mind. You would not disgrace yourself if you pulled your hat off -- since you had all this time to make employment for yourself.

YOU MAY HAVE in your possession a degree or a diploma from their schools or colleges. This makes it all the worse--you should be across the street making a job for yourself. Speak nice to your would-be employer (good manners).

Do not count how many of his own kind he hired before he talked to you and turned you down. You are in no position to do so. Probably those of his own kind to whom he gave employment had helped to create job and founded the factories throughout the country, manufacturing and supplying the needs of others -- Perhaps of yourself.

So, you are in no position to act equal and independent with the employer. Our greatest trouble sometimes is leaving out the intelligence which we should display.

IF HE HIRES you:

No.1 - Go to work to give him a full day's work. Do not seek to do other than that. Respect the foreman as a foreman; the lieutenant as the lieutenant; the superintendent as the superintendent.

RESPECT ALL who go towards the making up of American Citizens and who care for the unemployed people of this country. Do not hide around corners on the job and rob the owner of 5 or 10 minutes or an hour's work. One who does so is not a man who needs a job -- this is the action of a man who needs a rest -- or job to keep from working.

You are free and you have no right to come back and beg a man for a job and then not give him the labor you promised him in exchange for payment. He bargained for your labor; not you idle time. This is nothing but justice.

GIVE YOUR employer your full time. Never let him catch you idling on the job. Be honest with yourself and others.

Do the best that you can to please your employer. Do not say, "I will work as slowly as I can" in order to deny the employer an honest day's work. Say "I will do whatever I can to keep pace with the other workers without becoming exhausted on the job." Do so.

WE CALL THIS a full day's work when a man does the best that he can. Employers like a good laborer like you. I used to be a foreman myself in several places, even in the South.

The reason this warning is given you, is because I have received a lot of complaints about your unemployment.

GO AS clean as possible. Keep a clean mouth on the job and do not use filthy, unclean, wicked or profane language. This is also disrespecting the employment he has given you. Let that person know that you respect his authority.

Do not have unnecessary conversations on the job. He hired you to work; not to converse -- whether it is religion or whatever. Speak when you think it is necessary. Do not try to advertise something without his permission. You should keep your mouth shut -- and when you speak, do so in the right manner. Do not take up the time of other employees with idle conversation.

IF YOU follow these suggestions, I am sure that you will tell me next time that you are now employed and that your employer and you, both, like your work. Thank you.

7. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    He got the Trump boy's money.Be happy for that man.He had a chance to cater a high-profile event.A lot of us work for the same folks that voted for Trump,so if we're not going to quit working at his supporters' businesses and earning a profit for them,we cant be mad at him for making one off of a Trump.

Winston Smith dapped this.