Toxic Relationships: Everytime He Wants to Leave Something Keeps Pulling Him Back

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by Nigerian Prince, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I have a gay friend that I am getting cool with and he talks to me and his other friends about his relationship all the time. I will spend several minutes on the phone with him and every time he says that he feels like he is ready to leave the relationship, he will still continue going back. This has been happening for the past couple of months. I know my friend says it is hard to cut things off because they have been living together for the past few months and he is scared to put him out because his apartment contract states that if someone else has been living there for more than 14 non consecutive days in a month that they are technically considered a resident. He says he can get evicted if his apartment finds out that his BF has been living there.

I will ask myself if I am wasting my time giving my advice since he likes my perspective on things so much. The boyfriend desires to have a relationship with me and his other close friends too. I don't really feel like budging because for the past few months, all I hear is more bad than good. My friend still keeps taking him back. All the disrespect, lies, and all but he will still take that dude back. The boyfriend has not cheated on my friend but there is just so much other sh*t he does that gets on my last nerve. My friend has a good job, pays all the bills (including car insurance for his boyfriend), and does all this other stuff. My friend is a good guy and can do SOOOOOOO much better. I don't care for his boyfriend at all but my friend is saying that no one is perfect and that we all deserve a chance. He says it is important to him that I form a relationship with his boyfriend.

How do you guys approach giving relationship/dating advice to any of your gay male friends in relationships? Do you take more of a passive approach? Do you give options about what your friend in the toxic relationship could do?

Do you take a more assertive approach where you speak about what you would do if you were in their shoes?

#1 Nigerian Prince, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I take first the passive listener approach and then I have an assertive stance on my own general 3 strike rule if I'm hearing tales of constant woe.
    I tell people when they relay a story to me about a problem, that in a situation the first time you can be a victim and I'll give you all the support and shoulder you need, the second time you also can be a victim and I'll have just as much empathy for you but after the third time, you're a volunteer and I have less sympathy for them and the situations that they allow.

I would make the effort to get to know the boyfriend.
    Sometimes, stepping back and getting the whole picture from both sides totally changes how you may view your friends relationship.
    If you find them totally unbearable after an honest effort, at least you made a try for friendships sake.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.