Travelling Alone

Discussion in 'Travel and Vacation Destinations' started by Je Ne Sais Quoi, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.....
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    [​IMG]

I'm in my mid-20's and I have been to many places around the world but not ALONE. I live in an era where my peers are not financial stable and procrastination is their second language. I always plan trips with people and they never pan out. Older people always tell me "You better travel while you're still young" but my friends are always broke and I am afraid to travel alone. I wanted to know if anyone on this site travelled alone and if so, what was the experience like. How should I prepare? Was it worth it? How long was the trip? I'm tired of waiting for other people to leave town, I'm ready to experience more on my own.

DC., Jdudre and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  2. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I've traveled alone for work and loved it. I'm not really a shy person though so I'm always talking to and meeting interesting people that end up being extended friends/associates.

It can go either way though. Traveling with a friend/lover is rewarding for the companionship and times when you just want to be with someone you know. Especially in countries/cities where its not that safe to be alone.

But on the other hand, I've traveled with friends/family and there are times that I want to do something that they don't, so we end up at odds and I missed out on stuff that I wanted to do. It's tricky.

jpo, Infinite_loop, acessential and 3 others dapped this.
  3. Je Ne Sais Quoi

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I have to travelled on business but I was either with a coworker or I was so wrapped up in work that I didn't realize I was alone. I am at an age where I am trying to be less dependent on others and find comfort with being my myself sometimes. I'm going to try going on a small weekend road trip and see how that goes

4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @Nick Delmacy is right, and if he sees this thread I'm sure @BlackguyExecutive will have tremendous advice for you.

Road trips are a way to go to build up independence. I routinely drive 10 - 16 hour round trips at least twice a month. Even for small trips it helps to plan for emergencies and contingencies (i.e. have blankets, minor repair gear in trunk, know your general route before drive it, keep phone charged, apprise family or friends of your general plan in case of loss of contact). You should learn to do minor repairs for the car yourself, believe me it's not daunting. Changing flats, or even whole wheels (rotors, brake pads) is a one man job; drum brakes usually take another person only because of the spring assembly. Changing oil, wipers, etc. also not a problem. Have AAA or know your credit card's auto assistance number in case of something beyond individual repair such as transmission/engine failure. Keep at least $100 - $200 cash on you a a credit line for emergencies.

Air traveling is a little better as once you get past security, everything is more structured. If you haven't already, get registered with TSA Global Entry or Pre Check. I don't know the price as mine was free being in federal work, but I believe it's relatively cheap to register. Makes getting through those infernal lines WAY quicker. I haven't really traveled OUTCONUS outside of the military so look up Black Guy Executive's " Travel Like a Boss" article on CA.

Obviously, know how to act around law enforcement when road traveling. As black males that's a reality we need to acknowledge. On the other hand, don't let that be an excuse not to road trip and explore this great country and its terrain. I grew up in Southern Ohio, so I guess that makes me a "hillbilly whisperer" (lol) and I'll tell you rural white folk you'll encounter are usually more genuine. They'll let you know up front if they want to deal with you, and most of them are smart enough to recognize and respect a paying customer when stopping at gas stations.

I did some strategic mapping for a work project recently and it made me reacquaint myself with America's vast geography. I was surprised at all the islands, inlets, etc. that I had forgotten or didn't realize, so I wish safe travels as my own personal road trips will increase threefold this year.

jpo, Infinite_loop, acessential and 3 others dapped this.
  5. Je Ne Sais Quoi

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Thanks!

6. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    @King Zorro Here is my 411 and perspective. Traveling alone can be a wonderful experience. It is part of the reason why I wanted to do diplomacy professionally.

When I was an undergraduate, I participated in an internship at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. For nearly 6 months, I lived all by myself in Geneva, Switzerland. I barely spoke French but had learned a decent amount of Italian and I obviously know English, Getting my passport and boarding that plane was the best decision I ever made. Working at the United Nations, you adapt quickly to navigating different cultures and personalities but that wasn't the best part. After my internship was over, I had about 5,000 US dollars left and I took that money and backpacked through Europe, staying in Hostels and couch surfing. There is a power that you get when you are traveling and surviving and navigating culture and language barriers. I highly recommend traveling aboard if you can and doing it while you are young with fewer things that tie you down is better.

I often hear friends and family say that traveling is too expensive and they don't have the time but with a little discipline, you can make a lot of things work.

For starters, get a Passport. It will cost about $200 altogether. Second, get a map and decide where you want to go. Third, I like to use the exchange rates to help me decide. Go to places where the US Dollar goes a long way, see: Vietnam, India, Honduras, Sri Lanka, Thailand, When you travel to places that are cheap your hard earned money goes further or you can live a little better. Traveling alone forces you to make friends where you are, this is generally easy for people with extrovert personalities.

One of the things I usually do when traveling to a new country is finding out where the expatriates hang-out (i.e., Americans or Westerners). I go there to get information but don't generally hang out there because it is a much bigger target for attack. When traveling alone it is important to travel to places that have the decent forms of transportation and always check out the security profile before booking. The last thing I will say is to go get a checkup at the doctors before deciding to travel alone just so you can depart with a clean bill of health. Not all hospitals are the same, just saying.

One of the biggest ways I make new friends is figuring out what music is playing on the radio or is popular where you are. One of the easiest ways to make friends is being able to dance to the same music.

I am telling you now, there is a freedom that traveling affords and traveling alone really compounds that sense of Freedom. You would be surprised at how easy it is and what kind of person you become when you return home.

#6 BlackguyExecutive, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    @King Zorro
    One of thing. When you travel alone, be sure to make a plan, know the rules of where you are traveling, i.e., don't get locked up abroad, people like me will have to come and fetch you and that is never a good time. Be trusting but vigilant. Always save enough money to get home. Register with the Consulate or US Embassy if you can. Try and learn some key phrases in the language of where you are traveling. An effort is everything. Have fun! As a Black Gay American Man, I can honestly tell you that I had THE BEST TIME as a young 20-something traveling through Europe.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  8. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @BlackguyExecutive neglected to give you the sales pitch for the information his folk put out:

A-Z List of Country and Other Area Pages

In my line of work we use these as secondary authority (i.e. reference as opposed to primary authority such as statutes, case law) in legal proceedings. Pick a country and you'll get a decent summation of the ground situation. His folk also put out travel warnings.

You should use these sources to assess travel not TV news, newspapers, pop media, etc. US media would have you believe things about foreign countries that are not true. For example, I found Kuwait to be a nice country and as long as you didn't have the "ugly American" attitude they were cool with you, and very entrepreneurial (they were always looking for people to bring business there). Trump and Fox News would have you believe that they're all kissing ISIS 8 X 10 glossies. Even as a gay black man you can go places if you just act civilized.

Speaking of US media, once you see how news is conveyed outside America, it will make you want to come back and bitchslap the anchors of CNN, MSNBC and Fox. News and magazines are of a far higher intellectual caliber. Even the CNN that is broadcast to Europeans and Asians is nothing like what they feed us here.

CNN International: "Next up, we'll report on how the elimination of the 5000-note rupee is affecting discretionary spending among working class Indian consumers."

CNN US: "Next up, Lindsay Lohan gets a hangnail!!!"

Je Ne Sais Quoi dapped this.
  9. Je Ne Sais Quoi

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    You got me so hype to travel now. Especially because India is on my bucket list. Thank you so much, you are awesome!

10. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Traveling alone is amazing. But you have to be the kind of person who can enjoy themselves without the need of other people. It can occasionally get lonely, but it forces you to interact with people you normally wouldn't. I noticed a difference between traveling with friends/family and traveling solo. When I travel solo, I meet more people. If you're traveling abroad, locals are more likely to approach you than they would if there was an entire group. It's too intimidating. Plus, being alone forces you to want more human interaction so any sort of hesitancy you may have with talking to and meeting strangers melts away. There are pros and cons to it, but I definitely encourage it overall.

11. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    First thing I noticed when I moved here , CNN International is infinitely better and unbiased.

Champagne Papi and Winston Smith dapped this.
  12. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Oh, trust me I know this all too well. The people in our public information shop can be overwhelmed by how informed people are about what is happening in their community and in neighboring countries and abroad generally. Most Americans don't know who the leaders are that head the two countries that border the United States.

For the record:
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is the leader in Canada, he is the head of the Liberal Party.
    President Enrique Peña Nieto is the leader in Mexico, he is the head of the Institutional Revolutionary Party.

13. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Please cc the incoming administration and chief executive...

:kermit:

We were talking about this in my discussion group last night and some movie and how spies were uncovered because they didn't know some cultural trivia. I mentioned they should have written the script as, "He's not an American he's a spy...he can actually name the first ten amendments of the Constitution!"

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  14. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I have read all the replies and no one has mentioned using the Gay apps while travelling. When I travel, I like to go on the apps with 'Visiting' on as my name and I hit up guys I find attractive asking for things they recommend I do while in their city. I have gotten good restaurants with wonderful affordable food, a free place to stay next time I am in that country/city, and other great recommendations. Also if the chemistry is right then its two birds one stone, I get a local to show me around and then have him for desert.
    [​IMG]

acessential and Winston Smith dapped this.
  15. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This thread is prime. I was going to reply but after I read the thread I realized pretty much everything had been covered. Why The Boards is worth the time.

acessential and Je Ne Sais Quoi dapped this.
  16. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

Lancer and Je Ne Sais Quoi dapped this.
  17. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Hey! If the Chemistry is right, you ain't gotta keep it tight. LOL

18. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]
    ...I hate you

19. Nicholan

Nicholan Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Great question!

So matter of fact, I'll be traveling alone next weekend. I've had solo trips to NYC and Atlanta. Next weekend I will be hopping on a plane and heading to the beach by myself! In addition, I hang out alone a lot in my home town.

I remember when I really started hanging out a few years ago after I graduated college. I felt like I had to make up for lost time. I've always kept a couple buddies, but honestly never really had too many close friends...especially gay friends. Also, I didn't always want to always wait for someone to do something. If I did that then I would NEVER get out. I decided to challenge myself and start going to different places alone. It can be uncomfortable at first, but you'll get use to it. I feel as though you look more approachable when you aren't surrounded by a bunch of friends.

Traveling alone challenges you to be more social and step outside of your comfort zone. It's a fun challenge though! With that being said, I've met plenty great people through traveling by myself. There is nothing better than being on your own schedule.

My main word of advice I have for you is to be SAFE!

Always watch your surroundings and just because someone says hi, doesn't mean that you should automatically let your guard down. There are crazies in this world and you never know what someone's intentions are. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be observant.

Traveling alone can be lonely at times depending on what kind of mood you're in, and everyone may not have the personality to do it. I love it though--especially being a single man.

Good luck!

acessential dapped this.
  20. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I actually had my first solo travelling experience, unintentionally. I was going on a cruise w friends a few years ago, but because I had a $20 stand by hookup, I didn't make the send off w everyone else...

I ended up flying into Nassau, and booking a room w the intention of meeting the ship later. I was hanging out at the hotel pool and bar, having a great time w the locals. I even ended up going to a local club w one of them. This part wasn't, AT ALL, smart or responsible, but I was a bit more reckless back then, and ended up having a great time.

acessential dapped this.