Treatment Options for HIV

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by ColumbusGuy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Treatment Options for HIV

This CNN article had some interesting things in it including these:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Unlike treating diabetes, blood pressure or other chronic conditions, failing to take your pills for even just a day could cause your virus to become resistant to the treatment permanently. In fact, it’s better to take no treatment at all than to take it poorly. Once the first-line treatment combination becomes ineffective, your regimen will only become more difficult due to the increased side effects and decreased effectiveness of some of the older treatment options.'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? Just missing one day can ruin that particular therapy?

'Although undetectable in the blood on the right treatment, HIV will still remain in your body, and you can still transmit the virus to others.'
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But they ( yeah that 'they' that is everywhere but nowhere, everyone but nobody) said that if it is undetectable, it can't be transmitted, right?

This makes me glad I am not sexually active. I don't know what to believe anymore except condoms, condoms, condoms.

NikR and mojoreece dapped this.
  2. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Yes, that is correct. I always tell my patients on antiretrovirals to not screw around. I say it with my serious face. This does happen- HIV becomes resistant when meds aren't taken appropriately.

The same can happen with Truvada/PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention). If you don't take Truvada consistently, end up contracting HIV and then keep taking Truvada, the virus now in your body will likely be resistant to many of the usual drug cocktails. It's a serious problem, and has happened. Inappropriate use of Truvada is one of the reasons why a doctor will stop prescribing it to you. That's one of the reasons why doctors don't give many refills on Truvada- we need to bring you back to make sure people are taking it correctly.

Another antiretroviral story- I've seen patients on Hep C treatment (there's a new cure for at least one subtype of Hep C) miss a few days of their meds, and boom, Hep C is not cured and is now unlikely to ever be cured.

I have a feeling the nameless "they" aren't medical professionals. Well, I hope they aren't anyways. Being HIV+ means you are HIV+. Fullstop. It is unlikely-but still possible-for someone who has an "undetectable" viral load to transmit HIV.

Just wrap it up people.

3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @NikR See this is basically what I have gotten from the CDC(although I did not know that missing just one day could ruin the therapy- I thought it had to be more consistent lack of compliance)...but this is not what I am hearing from some people online.

Is it fear of HIV shaming? Lack of knowledge?

4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I take truvada and my Dr said I'm a model patient. I'm not even out there like that and he moved me onto the 6 month check up zone.

Zero side effects, no kidney issues, I still use condoms. I didn't get the Rx for bareback sex BUT If someone does use it for that purpose, that's on them. Prep doesn't do jack for the other STIs so it's not a free pass.

SB3, Nigerian Prince, ctforbes and 2 others dapped this.
  5. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    Keep in mind that with any kind of health situation, reaction to drug therapy varies.
    Some people are non consistent with dosage and are fine and others it may not work out so well for.

ControlledXaos, grownman and NikR dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I was just reading this on CNN and I was shocked to see that particular part-the missing one day. I am not really in any risk but it just made me wonder.

ControlledXaos dapped this.
  7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Well I'm not sure how much of the "skip a day and it's all over" rule is actually true or just a way to drive in that people need to take their meds.

"trust me, I'm a doctor "is well and good but that's why people get second opinons. I definitely suggest people do their own research.

grownman dapped this.
  8. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Yes, there's truth in both of these. This is my perspective-dosing meds is based on population studies. For the vast majority of people, the recommended dose is the right dose. But there are a few people in the margins for whom the recommended dose is not enough. These are the "skip a day and it's over" people- the people who don't have quite enough of the med to begin with. When they miss a few doses, the virus rebounds with a vengeance. And with that comes drug resistance.

I admit it- docs browbeat people into taking meds. But if I need to scare the shit outta you, I'll do it. Why? More than 1.2 million people have HIV- 12% don't even know they have it. Only 30% are taking their meds and are virally suppressed. The numbers are bad, and are even worse for black and Hispanic men/women.

@ControlledXaos Congrats on being a model patient and getting to the 6-month checks. And I'm glad there haven't been any side effects. That's amazing.

@ColumbusGuy ummm... lack of knowledge maybe? i dunno

ControlledXaos and Tyroc dapped this.