Best Posts in Thread: Two Transgender Men Go Back to Jamaica to Meet Their Family

1. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I'm sure male to female transition would've also been met with more push back as it is perceived as more threatening to the social order. Just like homosexual and bisexual men get more negative feedback than homosexual and bisexual women because male homosexuality is perceived as more threatening to the established order.

Also in this particular case these guys don't have to live in Jamaica. They can go back to Britain when this is all said and done and live relatively safe and secure lives. I'm sure transgender people who have to live in Jamaica have it much worse.

2. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    This was really good. I liked how it didn't give the same stereotypical image of homophobia and transphobia on the island. It was more multidimensional. The family members definitely weren't celebrating the transitions of the two transmen, but at least they remained semi-open minded. News reports on Jamaica would have you believing that they would be shot on the spot. Then again, I'm sure having cameras in your face definitely reduces the likelihood of conflict. I'm also curious to see how things would be different if they had a transwoman return to the island or a gay men with his male partner. I'm sure the response would be a lot worse.

Champagne Papi, grownman, Jdudre and 2 others dapped this.
  3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    BBC follows two UK-based transgender men, as they reveal their new gender identity to their families in the land of their birth, Jamaica.

Jdudre, acessential, Jaa and 1 other person dapped this.