Video of a white gay bar owner calling black customers the n-word sparkes protests in Philly

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by OckyDub, Oct 7, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

In a recently surfaced video of a conversation recorded back in 2013, Darryl DePiano, the owner of the Philadelphia gay bar iCandy, can be overheard referring to a number of black patrons as niggers.

The video was posted earlier this week in the comments section of a G Philly article about iCandy and another gay bar, Woodys. Both have been criticized recently by the local black community after multiple people complained about that the bars’ dress codes were allegedly being used to prohibit black men from entering.

The 22-second-long recording of DePiano and another man features the pair talking about how some of the bar’s patrons requested tickets that would have gotten them free drinks.

“And Ricky Peterson, nig, nig, nig, nig, niggers–everyone of them,” DePiano can be heard saying. “Does Ray ask you for drink passes? White, obnoxious white, but white?”

The other man in the video says that no, Ray hasn’t asked him for passes before DePiano continues: “There you go, and he was definitely your real boyfriend. All three of them that ask you for drink passes are niggers.”

Yesterday, DePiano admitted that it was his voice in the video. He insisted that he only called his black customers niggers because he was going through a “time of frustration” and that his words don’t reflect his true feelings towards black people.

“It is NEVER ever ever Ok to refer to anyone in this [manner,] but I did make this comment, and I have grown since then to be understanding and respectful to each and every individual,” DePiano wrote on Facebook. “Again, this was an EXTREMELY Poor Choice I made on my own many years ago and i definitely learned and continue to learn each day.”

For many of iCandy’s patrons, DePiano’s words rang hollow. In addition to a physical protest organized by the Black and Brown Workers Collective, DePiano’s Facebook page was flooded with hundreds of posts calling him out for his actions.

“Your apology does not come from a genuine place,” a New York man who’d planned on visiting the bar wrote. “It comes out of fear that you’ll lose money. You got caught and now you want to try to clean it up and blame it on “frustration” which was so evident while you were chuckling and saying ‘nig-nig-nig-nig…'”

Video of a white gay bar owner calling black customers the n-word sparks protests

2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    LMAO Another example of being Regretful not because one is regretful, but because one got caught. Eh...whatever. As far as the dress code goes, they don't want you there so stop tryin to get in. As far as n!gg@ goes, when we decide to stop usin' it, then we can get mad at everyone else for sayin' it. Until then....
    [​IMG]

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    LOL 'dress code' = no Timbs. What is next, no durags or dreads or a freaking brown paper bag test?

What is really sad?-I have heard of this club-from my occasional lurking on BGC lol! That PhillyJayboy guy was going to get his ass beat there lol *ashamed*

4. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
  5. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    That is why I don't really frequent gay establishments in ATL or South Florida catering to a mostly White audience. They will take our money but shade us behind our backs.

OckyDub dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I don't know about those areas and those establishments, but it is a stretch to really take that to all whites (or white establishment owners)like that. And just because this ass made these comments does not mean the majority of owners, employees, or customers think this way. I am surprised and disappointed regarding your comment. Do you really think all of the 'primarily white' gay establishments in both metros you mentioned are like that? Is it just gay establishments or all primarily white establishments? This is just sad to me.

Why don't we just split apart and have separate nations at this point? ...if we are just going to give in to discrimination and stereotyping and integrating(when we never really have integrated to begin with).

7. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Many of them are and we have had many instances like this in Atlanta.

Also many white clubs in North Carolina are the same way.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well if you know they are that way then boycott the hell out of them. It is just sad to me that this is a problem. Gays don't generally cause that many problems in bars and places anyway, black or white. I don't get the reason for this...do they think that more blacks will cause white gays to start going other places? Sometimes I just hate people.

How the hell are we supposed to get to know one another and try and understand one another if we remain separated?

We never really have had integration in this nation. Maybe in the workplace to an extent, but most whites still live in areas that are very heavily white, have few in if any black friends, mostly socialize with other whites, go to mostly white churches, belong to mostly white clubs and organizations, etc. I think whites are worst at this because the nation is 60% non hispanic white and there are vast areas that are nearly all white and many other ethnicities or races tend to be clustered in areas (with the exception of hispanics in the Southwest and blacks in the South)*. And it is to the detriment of whites who miss out on unlearning stereotypes.

*and even in the South it seems like the blacks stay with the blacks and the white with the whites. The most black major US city is not (as many people might think) Detroit, it is Jackson, Mississippi. Most of the whites have fled to mostly white Jackson suburbs like Madison, etc.

The whole thing is just depressing, but if you know or have very good reason to think that a gay establishment is discriminating against black gays, then boycott and protest and try and get and use the support of any other groups(white, hispanic, Asian, lesbian, Straight, etc) that is willing to get involved. JMHO.

9. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Sad truth. You hear about it all the time with establishments catering to mostly White people. Doesn't have to be straight or gay as a convo either.

10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This is just depressing. Sometimes I just hate humans.

11. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Wow I've been there like once five years ago. Didn't really like it anyways, so that'll give me a reason to not be interested in going back again bawahha.