Want greater gains? Don't bring your phone to the gym

Discussion in 'Gym and Workouts' started by Nick Delmacy, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    _main2_rest_0.jpg

Look, we get it: You're a busy guy, and busy guys have Instagram photos to post, texts to answer, and Tinder profiles to peruse. But when it comes to getting a solid workout in, you're probably better off leaving your phone in your locker. Even if you're not one of those infuriating people who scrolls on Instagram between sets at the squat rack while there are five other people waiting to use it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

That's right: Putzing around on your smartphone puts the brakes on your workout intensity—and it might even hinder your balance, according to brand-new research from Hiram College in Ohio.

In the study, researchers analyzed 45 college students as they worked out while texting, talking, or listening to music. A separate control group did calisthenics and/or cardio without phones, according to the paper, which was published in December in Computers in Human Behavior and Performance Enhancement & Health.

The results? Unsuprisingly, swiping right mid-workout makes it harder to focus on your pushups and burpees. Texting also reduces "postural stability"—a fancy term for how well you can stay balanced—by 45%, the researchers found, and talking on the phone mid-exercise hurts balance by 19%.

Not even master multitaskers are immune: "If you're talking or texting on your cell phone while you're putting in your daily steps, your attention is divided by the two tasks, and that can disrupt your postural stability, and therefore, possibly predispose individuals to other greater inherent risks such as falls and musculoskeletal injuries," lead study author Michael Rebold, Ph.D., said in a press release. (It is important to note, however, that 45 participants is really, really small for a study, so take these findings with a grain of statistical salt.)

The one exception to the phone ban? Listening to music. It's not exactly earth-shattering; music can make HIIT more enjoyable, helping you push through the toughest parts of a workout, according to a study published in the Journal of Sport Sciences.

Our advice: Bring your phone out only when you're doing cardio or exercise too intense to look at your phone. When you're done, toss it back in the locker so you're not tempted by emails, group texts, or calls. Thank us when you craft a killer bod—and just imagine what it'll do for your Tinder game.

Want greater gains? Don't bring your phone to the gym.

2. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I can't stand people on their phone while working out! You do a set and then spend 3-5min on whatsapp or instagram. Personally it boils down to money for me. Wouldn't you like to get your money's worth for that month? I see people that pay for gym, then for a personal trainer and then are on their phone while the PT just stands there waiting for them to get of their phone,WTF!
    When it comes to music, I know taking my phone with me would be very distracting so I bought a very old MP3, USB basic type, music player. It has just a small screen to see the track playing and headphones and that's the only electronic device I have with me in the gym. Cos going to the gym is a luxury for me and when I am there I am going to get ALL my money's worth!

Cyrus-Brooks, alton and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I log my workouts with my phone to Google Keep. I'm not going to use a physical note pad for that because I know I'd never transfer the information to my computer. Also I currently don't have a watch so I have no way of keeping time when I need a timer.

Also even thought I have several playlists sometimes I can't find that Cardio song to get me pumped. YouTube Red for the win there because then I can instantly queue up a jam.

Smart phones can be very useful but people have to be mindful not to get distracted. There are apps that can help you keep up with your interval training and you can use one of those to keep on task. I'm not saying that I don't fall victim to a notification but I do try to be mindful. I even use music as key markers. Middle of the first verse lifting, chorus, rest, just before the second verse, lifting, for example.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  4. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I actually used a pen and paper to log workouts in the past and my phone is on vibrate or silent in order to stay focused because it is so easy for 2 minutes or more to pass being on the phone in between sets. During that time the intensity and focus decreases and you begin to cool off when you need to stay warmed up to keep your metabolism up and to keep your muscles more elastic.

5. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I hate when people play on there phones between sets. They tend to get distracted and they take up space and equipment someone serious about working out could be using. I leave my phone in my locker when I workout. That is the one time during the day I completely unplug.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  6. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Question; What about a workout partner?
    No, I do not mean those on the Apps that want to use it to hookup ''looking for a workout buddy'' type. I mean working out with a friend.
    Personally, I do not like it. I will feel distracted, like we have to be moving from machine to machine together. I can do we come together you do your thing and I do mine and the only time we talk is when we leaving. Even that I might not agree to. I might want to go at a certain time and they might want to go earlier or later. I just prefer solo!

7. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I see this all the time even by guys that are gym heads. I tend to play with my music a lot but I get distracted by the TV more so than my phone.

8. DC.

DC.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I have to have my music when I work out it allows me to really get into the workout and move through and physical pain or strains I may be feeling. In fact let's say if I lose my headphones or something I end up not going to the gym lol.

9. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    I just end up not leaving the house, period.

DC. dapped this.