Warner Brothers Destroyed Superman's Brand For Their New Franchise. Will It Pay Off?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics and Graphic Novels' started by BlackExcellence, Mar 23, 2016.

1. BlackExcellence

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Warner Brothers Destroyed Superman's Brand For Their New Franchise. Will It Pay Off?
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday my Forbes colleague Mark Hughes wrote a long and impassioned essay on the controversy roiling the Superman franchise in the wake of 2013’s Man of Steel, which promises to spill over into Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice when it premiers next week. At the climax of Man of Steel, Superman, faced with the decision to risk further destruction to his city and its inhabitants or take a single life, chooses to kill his opponent, General Zod.

This plot twist divided the fan community between those who claim that Superman never kills, and those who defend David Goyer and Zack Snyder’s creative choices as necessary to the storyline. Hughes amply documents that whatever you think about the merits of the story, Superman’s lethal decision was not without precedent in the comics.

In this he is correct. Strictly speaking, Superman the character has taken a life on occasion. But the bigger question – and one that is appropriately discussed in a business publication like Forbes rather than a fan site – is, does Superman the brand stand for killing?

The answer to that, historically, is no. Does it matter that Warner Brothers has changed the Superman brand significantly in this way? I’d argue yes.

And we are not talking about just any brand here. We are talking about one of the most powerful and positive brands in American history, one that captured the imagination of generations and is instantly recognizable to almost everyone on the planet. The question is, will their decision pay off?

Who is Superman? Superman the brand has traditionally stood for justice, not revenge; force, not violence. He is the most powerful being on Earth but feels a deep responsibility to stand up for the powerless. He is strong but never a bully, and he chooses to follow the laws when it would be simple to impose his own. He would rather die himself than kill another knowingly. In a word, his brand is “paragon.”

This was a deliberate choice by his creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who saw the character as a beacon of hope during the Depression and the rise of foreign dictators. It’s tempting to say his wholesome quality was the product of a simpler time, but that’s not quite right. During the 30s, popular culture was dominated by bloodthirsty vigilantes like the Shadow, who had no problem dusting off thugs with his .45 automatics, or gangster anti-heroes who starred in movies like Scarface. Instead of taking that road, they made him an incorruptible champion. And it paid off.

Billion-Dollar Boy Scout. Superman was an immediate success. His comics sold in the millions, launching an entire industry, and were followed almost immediately by toys, clothing, movies, radio programs and just about every kind of merchandise that licensers could put in front of the public.

The men who ran DC from the 1930s through the ’60s did not have many scruples, but they were scrupulous about protecting Superman’s honorable reputation. They recognized that they were sitting on a goldmine whose value rested on a character who was virtuous, restrained, and even a little bit stuffy. By managing their franchise shrewdly, they turned a sketchy printing and magazine distribution business into a company whose assets were eventually leveraged to purchase Warner Brothers, then merged with Time, to create the media conglomerate we know today.

#1 BlackExcellence, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  2. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I think it'll continue to pay off for them.People who didn't care much for Superman to begin with,or ones who weren't invested in his core triats,are the ones who will watch him in these movies.They'll have an audience,it just won't be Superman fans.

alton dapped this.
  3. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I mean, whatw as he supposed to do? Zod was fucking shit up!

4. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    The big blue Boy Scout was supposed to find another way.
    Zod was a better trained fighter but Superman has had more experience being super.
    from what I remember of the fight, if he was strong enough to turn Zod's head to snap his neck, then he was still strong enough to divert the eye blast and knock Zod the fu@k out or beat him into a humane coma and then put him in the zone with the other rogue Kryptonians.
    I love a good murder/death/kill hero like any other red blooded, bacon eating American but any hero wearing an giant S or a Spider on their chest should not kill.

BlackExcellence and DreG dapped this.
  5. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    If he had asked Jor-El for advice,maybe he would've figured out sum kinda way (especially with the military's help) to turn one of those ships into a prison for Zod since Kryptonian powers didn't work in those ships.

Really,the problem isn't just the murder,it's his entire lack of conern for the destruction around him.He even threw that drone at the soldiers at the end.Kal (I refuse to think of that jerk as superman) was just a big frowning jerk in that whole movie.When he was fighting in Smallvile,he was the one who grabbed Zod and brought him into town past all the empty farmland,so he's also to blame for all of the destruction there.Even his father was an asshole,so he had no guidance.The film talked about him being Jesus and inspiring hope,but he was really a brooding douchebag.

BlackExcellence and Tyroc dapped this.
  6. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I do remember that being the most disappointing part of the previews of The Man of Steel the first time I saw and heard it. Jonathan Kent was always a voice of reason and ½ of the grounding influence on Clark's life and hearing him tell his son to hide and not care for humanity and essentially be a self important coward was a strange and unwelcome departure.
    Batman broods but Superman is supposed to inspire hope.

BlackExcellence and DreG dapped this.
  7. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I've always been more of a casual fan of Superman but I didn't mind him killing Zod at the end. I feel like it was a little more realistic. I sort of dig the more gritty, dark DCEU. I'm excited to see BVS.