WATCH: Feature Film Trailer "H.E. (Handsome Enigma)"

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by Nick Delmacy, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

From the team that brought you the web series “T.R.A.D.E. It All” and “Vampire G” comes a trailer for their new feature film called “H.E.. (Handsome Enigma),” a film that tackles the issue of domestic violence in gay relationships.

Directed by accomplished celebrity fashion designer KL Allen, the film stars Jonathan Smith (Nashville, BET’s The Game, HBO’s Treme, Hunger Games), Jevon Loving (Male Model), Kenyon Glover (Former NBA Player, TVONE’S Born Again Virgin), Rion Williams (Nashville), Tinashe Mahachi and Chole Stafford.

Official Synopsis:

Talon Alexander Jordan and his friends visit Club Currency to celebrate his 27th birthday. What is meant to be a night of celebration amongst friends, turns into a night that changes Talon’s life forever. Talon, meets club promoter Raynard “RJ” Lennox JR who he believes is the love of his life. Three months later, after moving in together Talon begins to discover RJ has another side of him and ends up on an emotional roller coaster of physical and mental abuse that could end up costing him his life if he doesn’t get out.

Hopefully the story will be well told, but for a feature film directed by an accomplished fashion stylist, I expected to see more striking visuals in the shot selections. Based on the trailer, everything here seems rushed.

For example: I would expect to see more attention to the use of color, not only in the wardrobe but also in the surrounding set decoration and props.

The use of color, framing and placement of the subjects is vital to a stylist’s knowledge arsenal when working on photo shoots, seems like that experience would have been carried over to a film made by a stylist. Even if it takes more time (and money) to shoot, the perfect shot is all that matters in the world of fashion.

Notice that pretty much all of the screenshots below have the same boring two-person framing. The camera rarely seems to hover above, behind or close-up to the actors.

Another film directed by fashion stylist Tom Ford, “A Single Man” (also featuring gay men), comes to mind. Granted Ford had a much larger budget. However, this trailer (without a single word of dialogue or text on the screen) demonstrates that strong emotional story elements and plot can be conveyed through composition, color and close-ups alone if attempted.

This critique is not meant to single out the producers or director, only to encourage more creativity from gay filmmakers in this historically visual medium.

We’ve only seen this teaser trailer for “H.E. (Handsome Enigma)” though, maybe the full film offers a more unique visual style/look.

STRAY OBSERVATIONS:

• Good looking, healthy young men don’t have permission to be depressed, just my jaded opinion.
    • Where can I purchase my “female best friend” who only loves to go to clubs with black gay men?
    • Hopefully the film explores the realistic motivations of the abuser, not just the abused. Too often domestic violence stories are depicted in black & white “he’s possessive, nuff said” simplicity.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read the whole post here.

2. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Looks lame. Where are these people getting the money to keep making stuff

3. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Agreed, every promotion counts. And my critique will likely not affect the interest level for many LGBT fans. I've seen talented stylists can make fashion look expensive with literally no budget, so can many indie filmmakers if they truly care about the craft. I can list tons of examples. The short films SLOW comes to mind. The director told us he had zero budget, just planning & talent. Like I stated, this critique was not meant to single out this production, merely to raise the creative and artistic bar for others in the future. Good luck with Sundance!

4. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Okay I see where the disconnect is...I'm not saying that the film should have been more Fashion-Focused. I'm stating that a more artistic eye could have been given to the film given that you are a visual artist yourself. True, films are about telling a story, but films are Visual Storytelling, with striking imagery and composition and colors. Just like with the best Fashion photo shoots. We see so many web series and films sent to this site that pay no attention to details like this. But it seems like you're saying filmmaking is not your thing, you just wanted to tell a story as simply and quickly as possible, not make a great independent film told cinematically. If that's the case then I concede to your points in the discussion. Here's a video that maybe better describes what I'm talking about:

#4 Nick Delmacy, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I'm sure you're very talented. I'm just basing my criticism on what was included into the trailer and what you've stated here in the comments. The screenshots are taken from the trailer, not behind the scenes footage. However, I also stated in the article that the full final film may prove to negate all of my concerns...look forward to seeing it.

6. Bigboy1465

Bigboy1465 Lurker

Daps Received:
    I agree; I would never watch something like this.

7. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Bro, I only used Tom Ford because he's also an accomplished Fashion Stylist/Designer. I could have used any filmmaker, even independent filmmakers. I never accused you of not being talented or even a good filmmaker, I merely stated that I was hoping for a more attention to the visual side of a feature film taken by someone who makes his living on visuals. Here's a teaser trailer by a filmmaker we've featured on the site before who also had very little budget to work with:

8. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    No doubt man, our regular readers know that we don't cover every gay musician, film or web series out there unless we thought something about it was worth discussing. Your final film could be very refreshing, only time will tell. We don't sugarcoat or give passes on what we perceive as low quality work though. Just like in the music or even fashion industry, you have to present your best work, without excuses, and hope the people will dig it. We want to push artists to get better just as we push ourselves to improve the website. The mainstream media (including Sundance attendees & critics) will be far harsher than any thing you read here.

9. Jronn

Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    Single
    is this real? it cant be...man where do i start...the acting is awful...do they actually have
    auditions for this shit or do they just say "hey you look decent, and are pretty much built like a typical
    sought after gay...you wanna act?"

if i had more than two thumbs they'd all be pointing down... *drops mic*

10. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    Forget about what people are telling you and Keep doing what you are doing. If people like it, they will support you financially. If they don't like it, you will have to carry the weight. The great thing of being able to carry the weight, you don't have to answer to anyone. Coupled with the lower cost of equipment used to create these productions and living in a democracy has given the public many examples. With these examples, we can weeve through what is most represented of ourselves. The next person might not agree with it, but that is part of living in a democracy. We must at least respect a person for doing it, even if we don't like it personally. Besides, if you really don't like it, GET A TEAM TOGETHER AND DO YOUR OWN PRODUCTION! Anyway, my only criticism is that producers go from one production to the next without concluding, but I was told that it is difficult keeping a cast together. In other words, people want to get paid! To me, there is more to life than getting paid, but we are dealing with young people here. One more thing! Why is this the only site featuring gay productions. I will ask someone with a creative mind to create a website to support and keep us updated on new releases. WE NEED TO STOP BASHING OUR BLACK LGBT COMMUNITY! WE NEED TO SUPPORT OUR PRODUCERS, WRITERS AND CASTORS NO MATTER WHAT! IF WE DON'T LIKE THE PRODUCTIONS, WE NEED TO GET A TEAM TOGETHER AND DO IT THE WAY WE LIKE. BUT PLEASE DON'T PUT US UNDER THE BUS!!!

11. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    KL, I don't base my opinion on some website that dedicates it time bashing movie makers. I will watch your film. If I don't like it, I will keep my opinions to myself, because I did not pay for it. If I should get bored with your movie, I will go to the next lgbt movie, because Having options is more important than the movie itself. And lastly, if the movie moves me some way, I will give you my financial support as I have done other productions. Thank you KL for your work brother and stay strong MY MAN.

12. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Keeping opinions to yourself concerning works of art does not help creators, it only enables meritocracy. Meritocracy runs rampant in many LGBT projects produced by people of color, which leads to the lack of funding or support.
    [​IMG]

13. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    :khart1: Remembering the script is not the same as acting gentlemen.

14. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    I understand but again my focus wasnt FASHION it was more so the story. I can send you links to countless fashion commercials ive done or my new TV Pilot Perfectville which is fashion driven that was just accepted into a film festival in Hollywoood that screen's in October. Those were also no budget that was strongly based on FASHION. This however is a film based on a story not trying to make this a fashion film. Simply a story that can raise awarness about Domestic Violence in the LGBT community. Again i respect and appreciate your critique and taking time to write this up on your blog. Much respect is given to you for that.