WATCH: Season 2 Premiere of The Boyz Next Door ATL

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Nick Delmacy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

For those of you who like LGBT reality shows, filmmaker Henderson Maddox brings us the season 2 premiere of his reality show web series The Boyz Next Door Atlanta. This season brings the show back to Atlanta after a pit stop in Los Angeles.

The cast includes Tony Evans Jr & his boyfriend D’Angelo Cherry (pictured above), Kahj Kenson, Malik Wayne, Del Antonio, Moe Goss, Tripp Ali, Jason Peters and others.

Not much to say about this episode that hasn’t been said about the past two seasons. While I personally don’t see the entertainment value in this show (not much ever really happens besides people sitting around and talking), I do realize that reality shows like this add to representation in the community.

While I agree with the criticism that many of the cast members of these shows deep down just want to be Gaylebrities and Gay Famous (notice that their Twitter and Instagram handles are posted beneath their names in the show for easier following and cyber-stalking), we can’t complain about a lack of representation when these are the only type of men brave enough to step in front of a camera.

This is not to say that there is something “wrong” with these guys, I’m sure they are great men who otherwise lead normal lives. There just seems to be a growing stigma attached with black gay men on reality television. It rarely reflects the lives of everyday men that I know and am myself. But then again, maybe that lifestyle doesn’t make for great television.

Unfortunately, this show (or at least the first episode) AGAIN doesn’t serve much purpose except to introduce each person and bring (most of) them together for drinks. Henderson Maddox basically makes the first episode a casting tape.

From the looks of the VH1 inspired “Super Trailer” for the show released back in January, the rest of the series appears to be just more of the same.

So what’s “wrong” with the show?

It’s no secret that reality shows are not reality, they are heavily produced and sometimes even “written.” While they may not have an actual script, there are what’s called “story producers” working behind the scenes to navigate and massage the more interesting aspects of the show for the cameras. They even create interesting situations and events for the cast members to interact in, often involving activities that are more visually interesting than just talking at a restaurant.

Let’s see the cast members actually DOING things.

I understand that limited budget and cast availability is a major factor in all of this, but audience entertainment is based on the content presented, not based on the limitations the creators and artists had. If a singer or rapper doesn't have the budget or resources for quality songwriting, music production and a sound mix, its not unfair to say that they are missing that, negatively affecting their music. Same applies here.

Having said that, it’s good to have these shows existing to be criticized at all. When we began this site back in 2011, there were less than 3 black gay web series in existence. Now there are whole independent online networks dedicated to them.

Sometimes progress comes, but not in the ways we imagine.

SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read the whole post here.

Cyrus-Brooks, SB3 and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  2. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I saw the first episode and it looks like it is going to be drama filled and there is no complexity or depth to the characters. Yes, I think there is a shallowness that accompanies this one. In fact, I think the cast and show really supports many of the sterotypes out there today about the Black gay community. While i like to support the "arts" and gay endeavors, this is no different from any other "non-scripted" reality based web series about Gay Black men. I don't think i will be watching.

3. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Tripp Ali DMs about to be LIT!!! Lol.

All of the guys are good-looking IMO but the best for me would be Malik, Del Antonio & Tripp Ali.

4. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    So what happened to the couple making it to the party or did I miss them somewhere in the frame?

5. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    It seems this group is more masculine than their LA season. It seems like gay films are stuck in the Love and Hip Hop/Atlanta Housewives reality show format. I mean the creators cant up with something more......creative. Its interesting to see D’Angelo Cherry you don't see a lot of black track athletes that are openly out and willing to file with their boyfriends. I hope he qualifies for the Rio Olympics. Hes a cutie.
    upload_2016-2-24_20-19-56.jpeg

DC. dapped this.
  6. sekou

sekou I be Jamaican
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    It seems to me that the screen shots were taken of the most masculine of masculine men.... but I am not saying anything lol .

mojoreece dapped this.
  7. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3

Daps Received:
    Im dapping blk men chillin

8. DC.

DC.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I kind of wish they would have kept Larry and Nolan on the show. To me they just brought something different to the table that seem to be cherished. I mean especially considering that Larry is not only an on the rise musician but also an educator in our school systems, and It would been interesting to see how he normally prepares for that on a day by day basis or something to that accord. I can't remember his name but the one with the track athlete boyfriend seems like he'll bring some depth to the show, but other than that, I'm not sure what the rest bring besides discussing hookups and things of that nature. However, I even feel for the first episode, for them to be sitting around talking about conversations like that with some of them just meeting each other for the first time was a bit much. Like decorum people? I feel when gay men come together they only thing they seem to know how to talk about is sex. However, let's see as the series goes on,what else they may bring to the table.

9. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I saw the coming attractions on CA before. This is not my cup of tea. This strikes me as typically reality show nonsense combined with typical fag drama, shade throwing, bitchiness, back stabbing, putting on airs.....and other unsavory behaviors.

10. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I feel like something is wrong with me. I don't understand the reason for grown ass men to be having pajama parties. Am i the only one that finds that shyt weird as hell?

DFW Brutha dapped this.
  11. SB3

Daps Received:
    Of course, I immediately fukd w Tripp Ali...

But I don't dislike any of the guys, so far

And, I think that Kahj needs several chill pills. Relax. Ur on a damn gay web series man!

12. SB3

Daps Received:
    This was a great write up/review/analysis @Nick Delmacy,but 'hey' blk gay men are present n not queening out/throwing bottles at each other. Def an attempt at a step in the right direction for more 'masc' representation.

13. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's like rewarding a father for taking care of his kid...

callie_bear_3 dapped this.
  14. SB3

Daps Received:
    I disagree. This episide of this show made me think that they are way more consciously thinking of trying to show some more masc dudes. Obvs, its a gay show. But the thing is that 'masc' gay men have been an oxymoron for so long. Im open to giving this show, as opposed to THA LIFE ____, a shot.

15. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    This wasn't bad!! In fact, this has probably been the most level-headed gay piece I've seen. I really like the depiction of black gay bros minus the large tiaras (queens that is - no offense of course - I love everyone). This was pretty good. I'll be back for more I suppose.

SB3 dapped this.
  16. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    Larry Cater should have been cast. He was the best of the three and he gave reason to support and watch this series. The most important line was "this was about brotherhood". Both KJ and MOE come off as being very self-fish people and you really can't build nothing from them. Larry was really why the three of them existed. Don't tell nobody, I think ALI likes KJ. But KJ will never step down to him. I can remmber guys doing them same to me only to see that the guy actually like me. I also believe that ALI was given this role as it match KJ aggressive demeanor. Non of the other guys could come this close to KJ. KJ is a very BIG man. Even ALI would have trouble with KJ. But he is the only one who can really challenge KJ. Other than the KJ and MOE mess, the show was pretty boring.

17. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I tried and I can't, the scenes are too draining. The producer needs to learn how to edit and cut scenes if a reality show is what he's trying to accomplish. Why not just have a google+ hangout, upload it on youtube and call it a day cause that's pretty much what this is. It wouldn't be too bad if the scenes weren't too long I guess... And Tripp is messy, so unexpected. Or maybe he just wants the D.