What I Learned After I Quit My Job With No Notice

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by ControlledXaos, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I had another job already landed but had to wait on the background check to clear. I'm not one to play my hand in these matters until it's a sure thing and everything I read about this particular situation said to not turn in notice because the offer letter states 'contingent upon background check clearance.'

Well, when I told my new company my availability date, I didn't know that the background check would take so long, nor did I even know that was going to be a part of the application process. I didn't have anything really to worry about, but in case I needed to dispute an inaccuracy, I was ready. So, the check takes over a week to complete and I'm in the awkward position of starting off at my new company late, or cutting ties with my then current company short to keep my date.

I chose to cut the old job short. My boss is cool and I like her. But was disappointed and the way the reaction I got made it feel like it was taken personally. I told her I knew I was putting her in a tough position but I was also in one myself. I needed to do what was best for me. I explained my situation and was told that it was understood but how about not a word was said to me directly the entire day until end of day when I left and turned in my badge and work phone.

Now I get it... it was putting her on the spot but what really got me was when I explained that the job paid more. Then I'm hit with "Well other than more money, what is the motivation?" I said well the hours are better. I get..."Well we could have worked with you on the hours." I was like... Did you not hear what I said? You know good and well you were not going to come back to me with a better offer.

Meanwhile, her boss, walked by me 3 times during the day and didn't say a word either. Did not say "Good luck" or congrats or anything.

I knew some awkwardness was going to happen but what I did learn is when/if I need to resign from a job, I'll tell my new employers that "I have a project actually that I'm almost done with. I'll need to give my team at least 3 weeks to hand off anything." Which should be enough of a buffer.

You live you learn. My old job will still be kicking Monday morning if I'm there or not anyway. Will I use this company as a reference? Maybe. I got this job without them using her a reference. I probably would direct them to her but hopefully, I won't have to do that at as I'm looking forward to this company and a long relationship with them.

Now... some tips when you know you are leaving a job.

• The computer techs will probably make a copy of the files on your company computer. Anything you may have that you don't want anyone to see...delete. It's their property after all. Same for any company cell phone.
    • Forward any email that you may find interesting to your personal account. Usually mail isn't checked on the way out, it's checked on the way in. System admins have too much to worry about to track outgoing traffic in most cases anyway.
    • Get the cell phone numbers and email addresses of your bosses and possibly their bosses. When you leave, you won't have access to company email anymore. Job applications sometimes ask for email addresses of references too.
    • If there's a departmental contact list, make a copy of that too. You probably can use your coworkers as references and they you. I wasn't buddy buddy with my coworkers ("We are not friends, we just work together"), so I didn't have their numbers in my phone or social media accounts. But I would give them all flowing reviews if they needed it. It's hard out there. Plus, if you have any co workers you were cool with, you could put them on at your new place or if you have your resume out there and getting offers from other places, you can forward those to them and possibly get a finders bonus if they accept and stay on.
    • If you have any money in your health spending/FSA accounts... drain that stuff. You'll get a new benefit package at your next company anyway. I used mine to get glasses... condoms are also FSA items. :D

2. bisonboy

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I wish I could get FSA in my job. However, I do plan on leaving this year but not going to go looking for another job in the same field, so most of these suggestions won't apply to me when that time comes.

3. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    Well your mileage may vary but I think keeping the contact information of your coworkers would still be helpful in most cases unless you really couldn't stand the people at your job.

4. KritiKal Analysis

KritiKal Analysis "Be the Standard, Not the Substitute..." DMCureton
    Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I still hate you left without more notice, but we talked about it and I COMPLETELY understand why you did it. You know that you always have my support in whatever you do. Nice tips though - especially the more technologically based stuff most of us don't think about when resigning from employment.

5. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    Yah... I didn't want to bounce out like "Bye, bitches and hoes!" but considering the circumstances...this was a unique situation for me at least. I mean I'm not just dropping fries in the grease or serving up lattes. This was a professional level/skilled position.

I can say I'm glad I did start at the need job on schedule since I'll get in to payroll to get on the next pay period. So... It's all good