What Next-Generation Tech excite or scare you?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Technology' started by Infinite_loop, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    So Let's talk nerd for a little bit:

[​IMG]

The next 15-20 years are going to look completely different. Technology is growing rapidly and computing power's exponential growth is taking Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to a whole new level.

Technology that excites me: Autonomous Cars

I really can't wait for this one to happen. Imagine what the highway grid of the future will look like with Apple, Tesla, and Google cars roaming around the streets and traffic a thing of the past. I know it is going to take aa long time for us to fully adopt the self-driving car, but I am excited to see how that is going to look.

Technology that scares me: Skynet

Along the same lines of the autonomous car, Artificially Intelligent computers are going to be scary, especially if the International community doesn't set(early enough) rules and regulations. Machine Learning algorithms are already too intrusive in our day-to-day lives: they know what movies we love to watch on netflix, what we search on Google, what places we visit the most, and who are our friends and our friends of friends, and friends of friends of friends. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I am fascinated by this sub-area of Computer Science. LinkedIn is working on something called the LinkedIn Economic Graph which to me sounds like if NSA was a private company. If they continue at this pace, they might know more about the Economy than, say the Bureau of Labor Statistics in a few years.

2. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I really hate the idea of autonomous cars. If cars in the future are like the Google car I'll either quit being a car enthusiast or only drive old cars.
    "Skynet" is already close to becoming a reality with internet connected appliances and the "internet of things." Also the Pentagon is working on autonomous drones that can make the kill decision on their own without human intervention. Japanese companies are building human-like robots that are becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate from people. Combine that with growing power of the surveillance state I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic about the direction of technology.

3. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Yeah dude I feel like Skynet is already here. It's fucking Siri from Apple. She's already controlling our tvs and lights and shit. Now they're putting her in cars. It's going to be be like iRobot in a couple of years.

4. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    You're right. I think the Google car is cranky and looks ugly as hell. I can see Google partnering with luxury cars makers like Lexus, Tesla,...to build the exterior and engines and then Google can provide the underlying system. Otherwise, ain't nobody trying to get into that little popmobile lol.
    It also sounds to me that human-driven cars are never going to disappear completely(just like we still have cashiers at Walmart) these two are going to exist for a few decades until humans get phased out completely. It will be interesting tho to see that kind of symbiosis.I also think self-driving cars are a good use case for buses, freight trucks/trains, taxis/Ubers....especially, for the day-to-day commute, not necessarily for driving enthusiasts.

I also am becoming increasingly concerned with the direction of the "Skynet" and whether she will emerge to be a good companion to humans or will destroy us all. There are lots of positive things about her, despite its intrusiveness. Now we can make map the entire human genome in a fraction of time of what it used to be(again, back to Moore's Law and the exponential increase in computing throughput), this has many amazing sides effects like finding cures for all forms of cancers and viral diseases.

5. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    duplicate.

6. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    haha I feel like we are already living in the future. I feel like Siri is dumb though, she can't even pronounce my name right smh(although, I'll give her that, African names tend to be very complicated). It's Google Now that I am worried about: she knows way too much: everything from search history to email to youtube videos I watch, to flights I take etc.

Jdudre dapped this.
  7. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:

8. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    3D printing is pretty neat I guess! Waiting to see how mainstream usage will be like.

I'm also really impatient to get to a point where AI is spot on! Siri and Google now are getting there but I want a ghost is the machine!! lol!

Jdudre dapped this.
  9. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    3D printing will be great. I heard China started printing houses already lol.

Kouncelor dapped this.
  10. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    3D printing will be great. I heard China started printing houses already lol.

Kouncelor dapped this.
  11. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Autonomous Cars: While Google and others are playing with this concept, technology infrastructure would need to advance and vastly improve before something like this can be implemented beyond parking or driving around very small towns.

3D Printing: Fantastic. I imagine that as the technology continues to develop, they will be able to produce items in other materials and composites besides plastics and cement, i.e. metal. (For you, @Infinite_loop )

RFID (MicroChip) Implants:
    Ok., this is scary to me. I don't think I want a chip in me that can tell any entity everything about me at a pass. This is some creepy "The Mark" shiznit.. I ain't buying it:

12. Michael

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Derek Zulanders Center For Kids Who Cant Read Good
    Artificial Intelligence scares the hell out of me. I can only imagine what even the next 20 years will bring.

13. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Another technology that I am excited about the Boeing Microlattice metal.

An excerpt from Digital Trends ----

In 2011, there was an article published in Science about a revolutionary new structure known as microlattice. Despite being made entirely from metal, this stuff is 100 times lighter than styrofoam — so light, in fact, that it can rest on top of a dandelion blossom without destroying it. Back then, the material was still in the experimental phases, but now Boeing has put together a short film explaining how it’s possible to build such a mind-bogglingly lightweight structure out of metal.

According to the researchers at HRL Laboratories — the lab that developed the structure over four years ago– microlattice gets its strength from its nanoscale “open cell” structure. Similar to how your bones are solid on the outside and mostly hollow on the inside, the lattice consists of a solid outer layer filled with a sparse network of interconnected tubes — each of which is a thousandth the width of a human hair. The only difference is that while the open cell structure in your bones is random, the cell structure of metallic microlattice is ordered. This allows it to be incredibly stiff and strong, despite being composed of roughly 99.9 percent air.

Obviously, a material with these properties has a laundry list of potential uses. Direct applications haven’t been settled on quite yet, but Boeing is currently exploring the use of microlattice in structural reinforcement for airplanes — something that could drastically reduce weight and boost fuel efficiency. “When I get on a plane and I’m leaning against the sidewall panel and putting my luggage in the stow bin or I’m walking along the floor panels, I think the microlattice could be used in one of these situations,” says Sophia Yang, research scientist for HRL.

And the aerospace industry is just the tip of the ultra-lightweight iceberg. As it turns out, HRL Laboratories is jointly owned by General Motors, so there’s a fairly good chance that GM has a team of engineers dreaming up ways to build this technology into its next generation of cars. Microlattice could be used for thermal insulation; battery electrodes; and even dampening sound, vibration, and shock energy — so it’s got tons of potential in the automotive industry as well.

--------

When airplanes become as light as thin air get ready to get your own aircar lol

14. Infinite_loop

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Yea, I agree RFID Implants are creepy as hell. But then again, it is only a matter of time.

As for 3D Printing, I am actually excited about the use case in medicine, especially kidney and heart transplant use cases. I am not sure how this will work exactly, so I'll leave to the Biomedical engineers to figure out.