What was your favorite Xmas Special as a kid?

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Winston Smith, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Thought of this because it's that time of year when my great nieces and nephews are usually watching holiday cartoons from when I was a kid (that's an awful lot of Christmas reruns!).

I always loved Rankin Bass animations, they were doing it the old fashioned way with stop motion before CGI and Pixar came along. And I loved how they would take simple ass songs like "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer" and write whole Tolkien/J K Rowling style epic TV movies with whole back stories around them. They wrote the book, Pixar merely followed:

Don't be a kid with a nappy fro in my neighborhood growing up, because even in the middle of July, someone was going to point at your dome and start singing the Heatmeiser Song lol. Now that I'm older, I'm noticing what a messy queen that Heatmeiser was...

Jdudre dapped this.
  2. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    When I was a kid, I was fascinated by any version of A Christmas Carol. The scenes with Jacob Marley and The Ghost of Christmas Future were always creepy to me, but that's lowkey why I liked them lol.
    I also loved Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! I'm pretty sure I had it on VHS. Either that, or I recorded it over something else.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I didnt have a favorite, but I remember watching all of the classics every year. We were po' so Christmas wasn't a widely anticipated event, except for being the time all my cousins from outta town came down.

4. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    If you have writing or story skills, the nice thing is that A Christmas Carol is a public domain story. You could be the next J L Rowling and write your own sequels ("Three Ghosts and a Christmas Baby by Artistic Arsonist" lol)

Yeah, that's why I'm not a big holiday person. We had a very "Soul Food" like family and once my grandmother died everyone drifted and never got back together andholidays aren't the same.

On another note, I kind of had the feeling that a Christmas specials are probably dreck today compared to yesterday, this writer concurs:
    Amazon Delivers Trio of Trite Christmas Stories

#4 Winston Smith, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Artistic Arsonist dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Grinch and Disney's a Christmas Carol
    [​IMG]

ControlledXaos and Winston Smith dapped this.
  6. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    You know, I've been wanting to add to the character design section of my portfolio, and you just sparked an idea! Thank you!

7. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Grandma got run over by a Reindeer

There's something about the antagonist that I just love! She's quite savage when it comes to the family!
    Cousin Mel
    [​IMG]

Jdudre and Winston Smith dapped this.
  8. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Go for it! A lot of newer stories have DNA from what came before. Just about every play Shakespeare wrote was adapted from somebody else's play or book, including all his "hits" like Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.

I wrote a story based on this Fishbone song as it conjured images of Scrooge dressed like Bootsy Collins

Man, forgot about that one. Yeah that was another case of turning a song into a full narrative. Only saw it once, but was glad they showed Santa in jail. In the original song the grandmother died so Santa would be guilty of vehicular homicide lol

Artistic Arsonist and LeMignon dapped this.
  9. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
  10. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:

It is very Jesus orientated but I like the the deeper message that it gives out

11. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    A true classic! Jim Henson was still alive and the Muppet empire was at the top of its game. The success of it convinced HBO to ask Henson to create "Fraggle Rock" as Henson always wanted to do TV shows and movies, not just kid show segments. To wit, this film he made in the 60s before Sesame Street

Okay, that was my folks' generation and those Baby Boomers were all using drugs, anyway...