When Black Girl Magic Doesn’t Prevent Evil Spells

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Aug 10, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Like millions of people around the world, I love when the Olympics come around every four years. It’s not just seeing amazing athletes perform from different countries but also hearing the countless testimonies of personal struggles and triumphs that led these athletes to the world’s stage. By now, many already know the successful story of the record breaking Tennis mega-stars, Venus and Serena Williams. We can now add to the list of record setting and record breaking Gold Medalist gymnasts Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles.

A part of the Williams sisters’ testimony is the severe racism and attacks on their womaness they have faced from White people around the world. Even when they have competed on US soil, white fans would often cheer for their white non-US opponents. In the 2016 Olympic Rio games the Gold medalists Williams sisters were eliminated in their opening match. I personally missed that match and viewed a brief highlight rill online.

I was proud of the two ladies. Venus was under the weather and Serena had earlier won her singles match to advance to the next round. Neither was in their best condition. Nonetheless the games must go on. Like professionals the sisters congratulated their competitors after their loss and gracefully bid adieu. I then made the dumb mistake of reading the comments under the video. Here are a few samples and I have to admit, I’d hadn’t heard “porch monkey” in a long time.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, a vast number of white people are racist and are happy to display their true selves over the internet but it still kinda caught me off guard because I was caught up in Olympic hype.

Mere hours later, watching the talented (best of the best) young ladies from around the world competing in the qualifying round of women’s gymnastics, I noticed how Gabby Douglas has transformed and grown into a young woman. Her celebrity arrived back in 2012 when she won the gold medal in London. New to the Olympic arena is now gold medalist and record setting 3 time world champion Simone Biles. I was really proud of the vets and new comers to Team USA (The Final Five) with their grace, showmanship and performance.

Like the Williams sisters, Biles also has faced racism. An example would be back in 2013 when an Italian gymnast said the following after Biles world championship victory, “next time we should also paint our skin black, so then we could win too”. Of course a social media apology was issued by the Italian gymnast.

This was followed up with an explanation and “apology” from David Ciaralli, an official with the Italian gymnast federation who stated “why are there no black swimmers? Because their physical features don’t suit the sport. Black people may not have some of the necessities to be, let’s say, a field manager or a general manager and that they aren’t good swimmers because they ‘don’t have the buoyancy.”

What I was put off to see this week (in 2016) were the snide and racist beauty standard comments that didn’t come from racist Whites, but from Black women regarding Gabby Douglas’ hair on message boards and social media. Here are some examples.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Keep in mind this criticism from Black women happened back in 2012 also. These pro-feminist, pro-black, anti-racism, we’re “Black Queens” because Black Girls are Magic, collective that resides within elements of Black Twitter and social media; were shaming and insulting a Black female US Gold Medalist who by all accounts is a role model to women around the world.

This young woman is an inspiration and pinnacle of will power and determination…and many Black women (and some gay and straight Black men) have the nerve to focus on “nappy edges”? Are you kidding me?

Would they have preferred Gabby’s edges to be non-existent at the Olympics due to years of weaves, braids and weave/wig glues that damage the natural hairline and scalp?

snatched edges.png
    That’s right because Black women having unnatural balding or “snatched” hairlines looks fantastic. We’re now learning that tens of thousands of Black women globally are suffering irreversible scalp damage due to attempting to adopt and emulate European standards of beauty.

I know you may ask why is Octavius Williams who is co-founder of a masculine leaning Black gay website writing about Black women. Because I know first-hand how it feels to have communities that you assume would embrace you, shun and marginalize you. Not only that, I love pointing out harmful double standards and hypocrisies that are perpetuated by members of certain segments, including but not limited to Feminist Gays and Women..

If my escape from White racism and discrimination is to run to the arms of the Black community, only to be rejected due to my sexuality; then in turn run to the arms of the Black gay community, only to be marginalized, this is isolating and heart breaking.

I wrote this because of it seriousness and to point out a clear example of how white supremacy and racism has a direct impact on Black self-hate. Because elements in White society view Black women as less beautiful, man-like or even ape-animal like; not only do many Black women try to adopt White standards of beauty, they also will attack other Black people for not adopting what they deem are the correct standards.

I don’t have to be a feminist (I will never be) to call out horrible attacks on women…even if they’re carried out by other women. The questions that came about after examining this issue was:

Which is worse; the expected backlash from racist elements in our world or the shame, ridicule and rejection received from the communities you think you belong to and should be embracing you?

Read the whole post here.

#1 OckyDub, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This was an excellent post. The comments are awful-I recognize that Shoenice from another site-he is a psycho-a true psycho. The comments sections...sigh. Hope for the best but expect the worst. Judging from the comments not just on youtube, but the comments on so many newsites, blogs, just about anything-the worst types seem to be making the comments. I gave up on reading comments on CNN, and Fox is just beyond evil.

The only thing I can say is that the comments are real, the people who are making them are real, but the representation they have is what must be considered. We know what people think about things, we know what people support by their votes, what they will pay for-there is a science in how these things are figured out. And what we know to be true(which is not the greatest itself of course) is not reflected in these comments on places like youtube, etc.

Just look at the comments on anything gay-half of the time if you just go by the comments, you would think most people in the US hate us for being gay-but they don't. Some do, but things are changing. Poll: Young Americans overwhelmingly favor LGBT rights - check this out.

The haters want to upset people-that is what they do, just like trolls. They are going to be over-represented always. They have a vested interest to post negative comments-they want the attention, they want to cause trouble, because they are troubled themselves. They are on the losing side of history and they know it-at least for the racist comments. I can't speak on the other hair comments. Her hair looks fine to me but what do I know about black women's hair?

Personally who gives a shit what they look like-they are athletes, not fuking models. They used to say the same things about Martina Navratilova back in the day-too manly, steroids, ugly, commie, bitch, etc. Haters are gonna hate-they will always find a way.

Focusing on their looks and not their athletic accomplishments is stupid anyway. *

* I will admit, it is easy to fall into that trap though. I was looking at some pics of some Chinese winners of gold medals and the men were smiling, and I thought, "Damn look at those messed up yellow teeth-they should have gotten those fixed"...and then I felt like shit for thinking that. They just won gold medals and worked hard for that...who knows what their life circumstances are like and what they have gone through..they were just happy and smiling because they won and I was being a superficial jerk. But I caught myself. We all need to catch ourselves when we can-we are only human and are works in progress, but we can try and do better and be better.

tl;dr?. Oh well your loss!

3. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    See I don't have a problem with this. There were countless individuals I've seen over the last couple of days at the Olympics who I thought were unpleasing to my eyes or had what I personally deemed slights...however, I didn't get on social media or any media and make comments or attacks about those athletes.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I had a problem with it though(with me doing it and in that context). To me it is bad enough to have these superficial judgements; it is worse to share them on social media. I guess I am just trying to be a better person. Unless the person is putting themselves out to be judged on their appearance, I would rather not be making that judgement-or making a negative judgement. That's all I was saying. Maybe it is sort of like the saying 'if you don't have something nice to say about someone/something, don't say anything at all'. Unless someone is putting themselves out there to be judged on something, if I am not going to make a positive judgement, then don't make a judgement at all?

Again my first reaction was my first reaction-it is what it is-I thought those thoughts about their teeth. But I stopped that thinking because I did not like my judging them on that. Unless it is something negative they are saying or doing, why make a negative judgement, or nurture a negative judgement, when it is irrelevant? It just makes me a nastier person-and we have way too many of those anyways.

When it comes to appearance anyways I usually always find something I like about the person- I have always been like that. When you posted that pic with the large woman in the Walmartmobile, yeah I saw that she was very large, but at the same time I thought she really did have a pretty face. I would rather keep that outlook and I guess maybe my thoughts about the Chinese athletes being something negative about their teeth conflicted with that and maybe that is why it bothered me so much?

I can't even go on most of the sites that I have been on in the past because I am just noticing how so many of them feed the worst part of you-they just build on any negative feelings you may have and I just want to be done with that.
    I was pretty much trolling Nick on here and not even realizing I was doing it...that I was trolling...until it was pointed out and I took a look at my comment history and realized that yeah, I was trolling. I just don't need to have any negativity I may have getting fueled by the nastier elements of the internet and having it spill over for who knows what reason. Why again I hardly want to visit sites I have visited and especially, read the comments. Which is why I guess I said what I said about those youtube(etc) comments.

Unless you are going to use that kind of negativity to fuel a desire for change and channel that into work or action, why take it in? And I have too much on my plate now to bring more bullsh@t negativity into my life. And negative feelings about other people's personal appearance does not even have an upside-what good can come from it? JMHO.

5. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Thanks, I was wondering if this would be addressed here. I'm equally dumbfounded by both and the thing is... I shouldn't be. So it's like what do you expect, what do you say? People are clearly tuning in for the wrong reasons.

6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    But you are just going by anecdotal things...comments from youtube, etc. Anecdotes are not equivalent to deta. You really can't say that 'clearly people are tuning in for the wrong reasons' as if that is a fact-clearly some of the commenters on these sites are tuning in to the videos posted for the wrong reasons(to troll) but we have no evidence to show how many people are tuning in for whatever reasons or that things are worse now-it may be that social media is letting more people be known to be known for being trolls, racists, idiots-but you can't say it is worse now than it was before because social media was not around for it to be expressed so freely and anonymously.

*And when do comments on youtube = a vast number of white people are racist....what is a 'vast number'? five percent ...fifty percent? Do comments on a Tariq Nasheed or a Nation of Islam video that are anti-white mean 'a vast number' of blacks are racially bigoted?

I guess I can understand the post given the hurtfulness of the content....I just don't want to see a less than majority group of hardcore racists have so much power to define things. Those comments are not representative of the majority of white people I have ever been around or associated with by either choice or circumstance-if you let them dictate the narrative of white people, you are letting them win. That is all I am saying.

They are trying their best to be hateful, evil, and divisive...let's not let them succeed. Most of those people are sick or evil and probably pretty powerless- which only fuels their hate. Know them, but know their place as well-a breed of nastiness that is on the ropes and is (slowly and with much difficulty) entering the trash can of history.

#6 ColumbusGuy, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  7. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I can if I'm specifically talking about the people that watch and/or comment just to hate, troll or focus on irrelevant things.

8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Which you did not specify. I agree that 'the people who are going on to youtube videos to make nasty, racist, and disgusting remarks (if they even watched the events)' are tuning in for the wrong reasons. A little different. There was no limit set about just the people hating, trolling, etc. Specifying means specifying. Change your premise and your conclusion becomes more valid.

*Seriously not trying to start an argument with you or Ockydub here. Even Ocky noted it was a 'dumb mistake' to look at the youtube comments. If they were really representative of a huge number of whites, it would not have been a dumb mistake. At least that is how I took it.

9. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    @ColumbusGuy @OhSheit

Admittedly this post is from a certain narrative.

On the Williams Sister's video (even though they were not the majority), there were many speaking outrage and disgust at the racism and sexism, while praises the sisters.

Concerning Gabby...Black folks went off on those criticizing her hair while not acknowledging her major successes.

My post was specifically to point out my own disgust and highlight the hypocrisy of many Feminist Black woman and Black gays.

10. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    Ockydub
    "See I don't have a problem with this. There were countless individuals I've seen over the last couple of days at the Olympics who I thought were unpleasing to my eyes or had what I personally deemed slights…however, I didn't get on social media or any media and make comments or attacks about those athletes."

BOOM! That is the crux of the matter. It is perfectly alright to feel a person is unappealing or not, but to go on the net and just tear people down just for the hell of it, especially for things that can't be helped for whatever reason, as many seem to do, is just wrong. I am totally Team Ocky on this.

11. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I am with him too on this. Just for me, I want to go a little farther. But absolutely-at the very least one should refrain from doing what these people were doing with their disturbing and disgusting comments.

Also there is a difference between finding something not appealing or finding slights "she is very overweight and is unappealing to me" and then making unfounded judgements about that person based on that "She must be a pig. I bet all she does is eat. I bet she is dirty and a bad mother. Why doesn't she have more self control?-genetics and all that?-bullsh@t-she is just a disgusting animal to me".

See the difference?

12. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
  13. TreDaDon

TreDaDon King To Be

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Venus & Serena deal with a lot of criticism whether it's because of race, gender, femininity, or the audacity to lose a match. They are true champions in my book because they always seem to rise above. Vee kinda lost me with her "all lives matters" comment this summer, but I try to give her the benefit of the doubt. Gabby & Simone (especially Gabby) endured something a lot uglier because you know it wouldn't have been any where near that nasty had they been white. I think the criticisms from our own community (especially from black women about their hair) hurt them more than anything. I felt kinda bad for Gabby being the reigning world champion & seeing the media relegate her to 2nd fiddle behind Simone. I think the nerves & the constant criticism broke her spirit and contributed to her not being able to perform her best. But being 3rd all around overall and still not being able to compete was pretty rough. Simone really inspired me this summer to make sure I make the most of every encounter with young people. I think about how different her life could have been if she didn't have someone to lover her and encourage her and assist he with pursuing her dreams. The children of addicts don't always break the cycle. What if instead of gymnastics, she found solace in some nasty older man taking advantage of her? Or drugs or alcohol? These young women, & Simone Manuel, the track stars & the men who are held to a different standard when the media covers them or when the comments start flooding message boards & news stories. Ryan Lochte & all his shenanigans didn't see the hate & backlash that these black athletes experienced.

OhSheit, LeMignon and OckyDub dapped this.