You da Manga!

Discussion in 'Books, Comics and Graphic Novels' started by Winston Smith, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]
    I haven't been a big fan of anime and manga during most of my adult years. Around the time, "Battle of the Planets" came out, it just seemed like a way to unload a lot of bad Asian product on non-discerning western audiences. Plus, I hate the deliberate sameness of most manga artists that have come up in the digital age. Even though I own Manga Studio software, I've never used it as I want my artwork to look like it came from my own hand not some indescript storyboard artist. So, I've missed out on the whole recent wave of Sailor Moon and other recent works.

That being said, my first artist heroes as a little kid were the manga and anime artists who were behind the wave of syndicated Japanese cartoons to hit the U.S., post-World War II. Here's a nice story about one of those artists, Osamu Tezuka, who was behind a lot of those early imports that Cold War era kids like me loved in the age of first-run Bruce Lee movies, such as Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion (COUGH COUGH **ripped off by Disney** COUGH COUGH).

Osamu Tezuka was the "Walt Disney of Japan." His beautiful manga biography shows why.

[​IMG]

Some early great anime imports in the 1960s and 1970s included Tobor the 8th Man (the inspiration for the movie RoboCop twenty years later), Marine Boy, and of course, Speed Racer. My favorite as a kid, however, was Prince Planet. Watching reruns on YouTube is one of those few times I wish I had kids; I'd swing my son around and sing the catchy theme (below) to my favorite preschool hero. The style and excitement of early Japanese anime, I have no doubt, probably also forced Hanna Barbera, Filmation and Rankin-Bass to step up their game in domestic cartoon offerings in the pre-cable era.

Jdudre and itsumoconfused dapped this.
  2. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    So glad you posted this! I was just reading the article about his biography and look forward to getting a copy for myself and for the library at my school (maybe I'll give it personally to a group of my faves).

I would totally suggest checking out the Phoenix series--I had to read it for my Animation & Manga course in undergrad. It was worth it.

Jdudre and Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Thanks for the suggestion, keep 'em coming. I will definitely at Phoenix to my queue! Was the anime/manga course an art class (i.e. you do manga yourself) or a humanities course?

itsumoconfused dapped this.
  4. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    You know what! I just remembered I did two courses that had integrated anime and manga into their courseload (not including my actual Japanese classes). The first was a Japanese Film and Animation Study Course and the latter was a Japanese Literature course (of course you can't get to modern Japanese literature without exploring manga since it is in its own right a literary device).

We read Phoenix in the latter because it correlated with themes that my prof at the time had studied in revolving around gender/sexuality studies and Japanese studies--discussing elements of human nature. I can't remember the full get up of that. I would 100% say to watch the original Astro Boy... (Tesuwan Atom) if you haven't. It's a fairly grim series once you start lining it up with the actual environment of its time, but of course there is always hope :)

Winston Smith dapped this.
  5. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah, that's what I've loved about rediscovering on YouTube the first wave of imports that I watched as a kid (with, of course, no cognitive depth other than action and excitement). Astro Boy certainly was a lot different to me as an adult.

I've always been an admirer of Japanese pen and ink illustration and ink wash. It's why I still own a set of art ink pens even in this day and age of Wacom tablets. It's amazing how, to modern eyes, how detailed and understanding of form, structure and abstraction even 17th or 18th Century Japanese art is compared to ink work done by Europeans and early Americans at the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

itsumoconfused dapped this.