Your Job Thread: talk, vent, ask questions, learn, etc.

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by ColumbusGuy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    So how about a thread about your job? What do you do, do you like it, Do you vent about it and where, what are you aspiring to(if anything), etc.?

Don't know if there is already a thread about this. Surprising how little people like to reveal about themselves on here sometimes.

2. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    you first

Jdudre dapped this.
  3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My job is cool when I'm working with fewer people who know what they want...but recently I've been working with groups of people who have multiple bosses and clients of their own...None of them are on the same page so it all trickles down to me having to do the same work over and over.

First world problems, true...but it makes what should be an easy job overly complicated.

Jdudre dapped this.
  4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Damn you. lol. Let some others go first. See how NIck really never said what he does? lol. Nick is so enigmatic.

I have done numerous things over the years after going to OSU for seemingly forever only to drop out just short of finishing my last major(Urban and Economic Geography). I had many majors. I worked in a decent white collar job for Nationwide but I also have hung drywall and was even a janitor for a time. I have also been all around health care from providing it(rehab) to all kinds of areas surrounding it. Right now I work with people with Developmental Disabilities who also often have psychiatric illnesses as well and sometimes severe behavioral issues(which has meant sometimes getting my ass beat).
    I am just getting back and I am already getting burned out. I need to get my nursing license(already graduated but still have not taken my state boards) but then I also need to work some time as an STNA/CNA- I have worked in rehab in close proximity to them and helping out as in overseeing restorative nursing care, but I have never worked as one-and I would have to in order to effectively oversee them IMO. I am also considering other options now(relatives who have jobs with the city of Columbus may be of help there). I have several coworkers I have known from the beginning and we love to bitch and moan and commiserate together in person or over the phone, computer, etc. and I need to keep that from spilling over now that I am back to it. *you would not believe some of the things we could tell you*
    cpnoway

*interesting fact(true fact!)about this company- back in 2009(I have been on and off since 2008) we had an employee who worked, in two weeks, 242 hours. Some of this was *on site on call* time where she could get a little sleep in a chair if there was little 'activity at night'-most was not and she slept very little She did not even leave to go home except for brief periods during the weekends. She actually got a paycheck for two weeks that was for 242 hours. She ended up basically loosing her damn mind and is on disability now.

Is that enough Cusp? Your turn now. Is NYC really full of people who are 'trying to make it' in some industry or another or is that more of a myth?

#4 ColumbusGuy, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    How about some of the stuff about dealing with women who are always hitting on you because of your unclockableness? You have mentioned it before. How does it make you feel(besides flattered)? Does it never make you want to just tell them you are gay? If you did, would it hurt you in your line of work and apparently being something of a free agent workwise? Would your location in Atlanta make that less of a potential problem? Are the people you work with varied or are they more....say...younger 'creative' types...do they fit a pattern?

6. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well NYC is full of all kinds of people who are making it (whatever that it is) and who are working toward their making it. As for me i work in the public service industry. It pays the bills lol . It can get hectic sometimes but what job doesn't.

7. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I though this was a Vent thread, not an Interrogation thread....

BrentForays and Dante dapped this.
  8. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I am an Administrative Secretary for the past 5+months for a community health research clinic. It is an ok. I accepted the position on the strength to work for the university. My plan is to navigate to move on from the position with the help of professional development and mentorship through the IAAP (International Association of Administrative Professionals) and internally networking with the work chain.

Despite a few people who I have no care for, I like the job.

9. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking

#9 ColumbusGuy, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  10. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I took the title to mean it was a place for ppl to vent and ask questions about frustrations, dilemmas and issues with their jobs. Not a roundtable discussion thread about work in general. My apologies.

11. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I apologize as well for being..well..'cunty'. Here and in the other thread. It has just been a bad week.