Best Posts in Thread: The Brazilian carnival queen deemed 'too black'

1. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Well, go figure. Another group of descendants of former slaves who think white is right. Don't get me started.

But do u think Beyonce would be 'Beyonce' if she was Kelly Rowland's complexion?

Sean P, Jdudre, Tyroc and 3 others dapped this.
  2. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I feel you. Yet, there's a slight difference in Brazil (and a number of other places that come to mind). Nearly everyone in Brazil is "passing," at least in their own minds. They don't claim to be of African descent. It would be hard for most Black folks in America to claim that they are not descended from Africans.

mojoreece, Jdudre, Tyroc and 2 others dapped this.
  3. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Brazil is one of my favorite travel destinations. While African culture is celebrated in parts of the state of Bahia, Brazilians are some of the most color struck people that I've ever met. I have never heard so many words for different shades of brown (Black Brazilians reportedly exist, but they're an elusive bunch.).

I am a dark skinned guy who proudly embraces his Blackness, which as an American visitor has lead to some strangely entertaining experiences given the dominant Brazilian culture. My Portuguese is elementary (think of a preschooler) so I am quickly identified as an American. I find that many fair skinned Brazilians will refer to themselves as people of color when talking to me, but would never claim such an abomination if they were talking to another Brazilian or a white visitor. In restaurants and stores, I find that the fair skinned employees go out of there way to treat me like a special visitor.

By contrast, I've had Brazilians who are my complexion tell me that I need to beware of the police, service sector employees etc. since I am Black and not chestnut colored like the person speaking to me. WTF?!? It truly can be too many things… I've even met blue-Black Brazilians who claim not to be Black.

In recent years, there's been a fledgling "Black power" movement in Brazil so I would encourage as many American Brothas as possible to visit so that the Brazilian population can see that we and their Black heritage are the sh*t!

4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Cosign. This shouldn't come as surprise it's an open secret that anti-black attitudes are rampant in Latin America.

#7 Cyrus-Brooks, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    grownman, Jdudre, Tyroc and 1 other person dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    100dap:kermit::lawd::ohhh::ufdup: