15 Cool Black Men Haircuts to Try in 2017

Discussion in 'Fitteds, Blazers and Watches' started by Lancer, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

You might be thinking that your hair is too thick, too short or too curly to do anything truly new or interesting. You may have found yourself in the habit of asking your barber for the same cut month after month, or maybe just shaving everything off for a quiet life. Whether you want to stick with something tried and tested like the buzz cut or think outside the box, we’ve put together a comprehensive and inspirational guide to black men haircuts to try in 2016.

1. Box Fade
    The iconic that symbolised the golden era of hip-hop, the box fade brings all kinds of nostalgia. The box fade is back, with some thanks to the style making a big comeback on NBA courts. You might know it as the hi-top or flat top. It is the style that combines sides that taper down to a short length with a sharply-defined rectangular top. Yep, hence the name. Typically the hair is about 3-5 cm on top, although the way you rock it depends on your style and what suits your head. For a less dramatic look, opt for a gradual taper on the sides with a shorter, tight top.
    [​IMG]

2. Afro Fade
    The Afro fade is a fun haircut for any man able to pull it off. In essence, the Afro fade incorporates the tapered sides of the box fade with a top that is somewhat left to grow how it likes.
    [​IMG]

3. Short Part With Fade
    With such thick hair, the idea of a part might be laughable. But the seemingly pointless part line can be utilised as a very deliberate design feature in any hairstyle. If your hair is on the thicker, curlier end of the spectrum, have your barber shave a feature ‘part’ line for stylish results. The part line acts as a point of asymmetry and adds interest to what could otherwise be a standard haircut. With the addition of faded sides, this style is very relevant right now.
    [​IMG]

4. Pompadour
    It’s a haircut that’s traditionally worn by men with fine, straight hair. However, this type of cut is also a perfect match for those with tight curls; you can style tremendous control over the shape your hair takes. By shaping a quiff at the front of your hair, you’ll make for an intriguing alternative to the standard box cut.
    [​IMG]

5. Line Up
    Instead of letting your natural hairline dictate your hair’s outline, this haircut sees your barber shave a straight hairline with sharp angles into your hair. Line ups take the idea of defining your hairline on your neck to your forehead, and it looks spectacular. Do keep in mind, that this cut requires frequent maintenance, lest you end up looking as if you have facial hair stubble on your forehead. This style draws attention to your eyes and brow line.
    [​IMG]

6. Wave
    We can’t decide whether we love this haircut, or if it’s completely garish. One thing is for certain; it is a style that could only be achieved with the benefit of thick hair. The style makes your hair a feature in its right. If you decide waves are for you, it’s best to see a barber beforehand. He or she will get your hair looking right before you start the wave process. The look will take a while to appear, and you will need a few products to get it going, most importantly a wave brush. Speak to your barber for more advice on how to achieve this unique haircut.
    [​IMG]

7. Curls With Fade
    For those guys with looser curls, an undercut or fade with some more length on top could prove an interesting choice. Let your curls grow to a longer length on top, and have them take on their own style. The juxtaposition between the unrestrained medium-length curls and neat, faded sides makes for a unique look.
    [​IMG]

8. Buzz Cut
    Another easy option for those who don’t want to worry about dealing with difficult hair. The buzz cut is the short, military-inspired hairstyle that is low maintenance but high impact. As with any super-short haircut, the look will draw attention to your brow and make your face look more defined.
    [​IMG]

9. Buzz Cut With Beard
    Technically not a haircut in its own right, but the combination of a buzz cut and beard is always a winner for men with thicker hair. For the best results, buzz your beard down to a length that is consistent with your beard. You can achieve the neatest looks by manicuring your beard's shape around the sideburn area and by keeping the cheek line consistently well-maintained.
    [​IMG]

10. Short All Over
    Simple, short all over. Longer than the buzz cut, this standard short style still acknowledges your hair’s curly nature without it becoming something you need to deal with day-to-day. To truly make this style yours, regular trims are imperative to keep from having your hair appear untamed.
    [​IMG]

11. Frohawk
    Even though it’s long gone, we still love the frohawk sported by Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling. Think of it like a reimagined box fade, narrower in the middle and rocked with the kind of maverick air that only comes with mohawk styles. This haircut can be either angular in style, or left to grow more freely. Those with tighter curls will find they have greater control over the shape of their frohawk and can opt for a bolder imagining of the cut.
    [​IMG]

12. Geometric
    This haircut is another style that takes advantage of thick hair and tight curls. Strong angles define a geometric cut, but there is no steadfast rule on how it should look. Your imagination is your guide here. One option is to use your part line (whether that’s real or imagined) as a guide to creating a right angle part in your hair.
    [​IMG]

3. Twists With Fade
    This is another combination of style that brings a 2016 relevance to the look. Maintain some length on the top and style twists in the way outlined above. On the sides, opt for a length that tapers down. The style draws attention to what’s happening upstairs. This haircut works particularly well if the hair on top is a little longer and unruly.
    [​IMG]

14. Short Hair With Fade
    Clean, fresh and neat. This haircut keeps the hair’s length in check before it can take on a life of its own. It takes its cues from the fade haircuts that are on trend right now. For extra striking results, combine the fade with facial hair, the disconnected length makes for an attractive and eye-catching aesthetic.
    [​IMG]

15. Clean Shave
    It’s the easiest way out, sure, but it can look amazing and fresh on the right head. Not just the killer solution for a receding hairline, a clean shave might just look amazing on your head. The look sends a bold message of confidence in your style. Keep in mind, if your hair is particularly coarse, you may be prone to razor bumps. Ideally, you should shave with wet hair, a moisturising shaving oil and decent shaving cream to avoid the bumps. And remember always to shave with the grain.
    [​IMG]

15 Cool Black Men Haircuts to Try in 2017

2. Lancer

Daps Received:
    Been rocking a Clean Shave, thinking about switching it up. Haven't yet decided though, also thinking of adding some color to it. I have Blue and Blonde on my mind for now...

3. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Aside from Geometric I've seen em all last season/year. Not much cool new styles we could do with our hair lol.

I would love to go short but my hair seems so thin when I have low cuts so I'm trying my best to maintain twists w. fade because textures because hat's the only thing that seems to work.

SmartMan123 dapped this.
  4. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I am growing my hair out now @Lancer. I will do afro fade, short all over or the twists w/ fade. I want to do something natural this year.

SmartMan123 and Lancer dapped this.
  5. Aejae

Aejae Socially Awkward Aejae
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Nice thread! I was actually considering which haircut I'll rock for 2017 besides my usual Caesar haircut. I think I'll go with the temp fade.

SmartMan123 and Lancer dapped this.
  6. Lancer

Daps Received:
    I was actually considering that however the shape of my face, which is oblong, wouldn't allow for that time of style. It will only elongate it more. I need something with volume on the side's to compensate:)

SmartMan123 and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  7. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I've actually had many of these hair styles through the years. 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, & 15. I'm currently wearing 14. This is the second time I've had this style. The first time was back during the early 1990s....1991 & 92 to be exact, after I cut off my box fade.

Nigerian Prince and Lancer dapped this.
  8. lancem451

lancem451 Lurker

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I like the clean shaven and beard look

SmartMan123, Nigerian Prince and Lancer dapped this.
  9. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    Please don't rock the pomp...your family is going to sing that dumb ass "Do you like drugs" song by Miguel every time you walk by them.

10. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    Have you tried castor oil? Not that serum shit but like actual castor oil? It'll help with thickening. If you haven't, I'd go for that and avoid coconut oil, that shit will make your hair fall out. (Great for your skin though, lol)

11. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Mine is more like an Afro fade

12. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I havent known too many brothers that consciously choose No 15. If you're like Michael Jordan and me, it was forced on you by Mother Nature's Barber Shop lol.

Although if I had it do over again, I'd try No 11. Angelo Moore, singer of the black rock group Fishbone was the first brother I noticed sporting it on a national level
    [​IMG]