1st Black Brewers of Georgia

Discussion in 'Food and Diet' started by OckyDub, Jun 25, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Here’s something you don’t see every day: a black-owned brewery.

Out of the 66 breweries in Georgia, only one is owned by black people: Down Home Brewing Company. Chris Reeves and William Allen Moore, the two men behind the brewery, started canning beer in March 2018 at BlueTarp, Georgia’s smallest production brewery, east of downtown Decatur.

The two spoke with WXIA-TV and expressed that starting this business was a challenge and that they haven’t quit their day jobs quite yet.

“It was fun seeing people’s reactions to it, saying, ‘Oh OK, this is cool.’ Then you see the backstory behind it and we tell our story with our families and how this comes from a place of family,” Moore, a Morehouse College of Medicine alum, said.

Apparently, the only investors in the company are members of their families.

Down Home’s graphic icon is of Herschel Thompson, Reeves’ late grandfather, a church deacon and a Walton County sharecropper. Reeves explained that his grandfather wasn’t a drinker, but he was “a good God-fearing man. Loved God. And I learned a lot through him.”

The two hope to eventually open a stand-alone shop and to leave their day jobs.

1st African American brewer hits GA craft beer scene

2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Not just a GA thing. Black owned breweries are rare nationwide, but happening. I predict the real battle is going to be in getting placement over and alongside the usual craft suspects in the rapidly gentrifying urban areas where even black bar and restaurant owners are trying to appeal to the new found diversity.

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received: