Best Posts in Thread: Patti LaBelle Explains Why Luther Vandross Never Came Out

1. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I can understand why Luther Vandross never came out. I remember the horrible things homophobic members of my family said about him concerning rumors about his sexual orientation back in the day. If he had come out I have no doubt he would've been vilified by the black community. Luther would've gotten the persona non grata treatment.

mojoreece, Boaxy, Kobalt and 3 others dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

After discussing the origins of LaBelle’s friendship with Luther, Cohen slipped in: “Did [Vandross] struggle with the idea of coming out publicly? Was that something that you talked about at all?”

“We talked about it,” said LaBelle. “Basically, he did not want his mother to be...although she might have known, but he wasn’t going to come out and say this to the world. And he had a lot of lady fans and he told me he just didn’t want to upset the world.”

Vandross was long rumored to be gay, though he never said as much—in interviews, he’d generally either roll with a line of questioning that assumed he was straight or refuse to answer direct questions about his sexuality. I’ve never heard someone so close to him effectively confirm it (Bruce Vilanch and Michael Musto discussed it not long after his 2005 death). If LaBelle’s assessment is correct, it’s unfortunate that Vandross declined to share who he was for the sake of his audience’s comfort, though given the state of queer acceptance back then, it’s not exactly surprising. Sounds like a hard life, though it didn’t impede Vandross’s art—perhaps it made it even more aching. I’m glad Patti LaBelle, though, filled in some details of Luther Vandross’s humanity. That’s what a good friend does.

3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    From a historical point yes...I do think its relevant. Folk need to know we've always existed.

#8 OckyDub, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    mojoreece, jusrawb, Cyrus-Brooks and 2 others dapped this.
  4. Kobalt

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    He most likely would have lost some of his fanbase, but my mother and aunt subscribed to rumors of him and Freddie Jackson being lovers, but still loved them some "Lutha."

eli94, OckyDub, mojoreece and 1 other person dapped this.