Best Posts in Thread: Quincy Jones Interview...Richard Pryor and Marlon Brando Hooked Up

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Forgive me because this is not an attack...BUT

Comments like these (which are all over social media concerning this issue) annoy the hell outta me.

If one is to use this logic...we shouldn't talk about the HISTORICAL sexual lives of Kings Tut, King Ramses, Kings James, Thomas Jefferson, Sally Hemings, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin, MLK etc. because to see them as normal, flawed sexual beings (in the case of Jefferson-predatory) is speaking "ill" off.

These people are public historical figures. Speaking or examining their public and private lives is not "speaking ill of"; its acknowledging history.

This is partly the reason why non-heterosexuality is so taboo; because the ill-informed or miseducated act as if its a new phenomenon while willfully ignoring prominent historical figures who prove non-heterosexuality has always existed through out history.

Richard Pryor once dated a trans women. That is not speaking ill of; that'a stating fact.

Acknowledging or offering proof that someone is homosexual (or non-heterosexual) is not "ill" or a negative. Stop it.

SB3, DreG, jusrawb and 2 others dapped this.
  2. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I think it's easier for us to view people from previous generations who are culturally revered like Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor in an almost saintly fashion but these revelations show previous generations were freaks just like we are. They had the same sexual desires and appetites as people today. There was just no internet or social media to broadcast it. There was only rumors and innuendo. Also I think the creative field and entertainment industry tend to attract "free spirits," gays, bisexuals, and liberal minded folks. The good thing about stories like this and about Luther Vandross becoming public is it helps to blow a hole in the Hotep conspiracy theory that non-heterosexual black people are some new fangled thing cooked up in a government laboratory.

mojoreece, Sean, OckyDub and 1 other person dapped this.
  3. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I didn’t clutch any pearls, but as I read this, I found it as “deliciously” funny as the story my mild dementia suffering grandma tells about how she was engaged to three men at one time. (Grandma was a virgin, but obviously determined to not have that be the case for long.) I have been exposed to a lot, so not much surprises me. I just find it funny (and validating that “normal” folks can be “freaks”) when folks open up about it...especially when folks act so prudishly.

4. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Also in the book Pryor states how he walked in on Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie tongue kissing. Read the excerpts …

Read more: Richard Pryor Openly Dated A Transgender Woman

So Richard Pryor (the dead) should have kept this to himself also?

Examining history is examining all of it, not just the parts one may want to hear or personally be interested in.

Examining history is one of the main factors that lead me to know and understand my sexuality is normal. If it were not for that, this website would not exist in its space nor be presented in its leaning and format.

BLACK non-heterosexual people need to know there is nothing wrong with us. There is something wrong with regressive abusive religious people who use their power and sexual insecurities for oppression. BLACK people put our celebrities (dead and alive) along with historical figures on pedestals because they represent those who "made it" in the White man's world or show how we were powerful before white colonial supremacists influences.

We've bought into that to be one of these male figures is to be strong masculine and heterosexual. This is not true and to admit that is to admit that many adored historical non-white male figures (who may have been masculine leaning) were in fact non-heterosexual.

We're in the year 2018. Homosexuality became sinful, evil or an abomination world wide mostly after 1500's...thats around 500-600 years of this 'current' thinking based on Christian European colonialism via conquering new lands.

Human civilization is well over 30-50 thousand years old with human sexuality devolving into the current 500-600 year old concepts.