Best Posts in Thread: Black Twitter's Second Outrage of the Week: Old Out-of-Context Travis Scott Interview Surfaces

1. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    What I don't understand is people are still following and are fans of their NFL teams, so why are be mad at musical performers performing AT the biggest game for their Fandom, let alone year? Are artistic/creative celebrities any different from athletic ones?

If black people REALLY didn't give a shit about the NFL they wouldn't be watching or going to the games or hoping Lil Peanut from their favorite Division X school gets signed.

2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Everyone who loves every rule/stance/clause from their employer, please raise your hands. I'll wait...

Of course we get your black and white logic that it would be more impactful if all black NFL players walked out, but that's also not likely or very feasible. And you know this. So while TreDonTerequay Jenkins, who literally comes from next to nothing, isn't expected to take any knees against the check he uses to 'feed his family', an entertainer like Travis, who ISN'T dependent upon an NFL check to eat, CAN, opt out of rendering his services. That is, if he so chooses.

This isn't about Travis playing the superbowl. This is about you acting like you don't understand why some people don't want him to. You can feel how you feel, but don't sit up here and act like Travis Scott NEEDS this. That is why he has the flexibility to be completely indifferent either way, to taking this gig. And please spare me the 'woe is Travis the opening act' speech. Everyone starts as an opening act. And he was lucky to be opening up for one of the biggest names in the game. That said, if he was still in NEED of the gig, they wouldn't be seeking him out. I wouldn't know him if he was sitting at the table with me, but I've heard more of/about Astroworld than I ever cared to. Again, he does not NEED this.

As a matter of fact, this almost sounds like the, 'well, white ppl do it too', argument you just complained about in your profile post. At the end of the day, we don't all have the same luxuries. Travis has the luxury to walk away from this gig.

And again, Travis CAN 100% happily go play the superbowl. That's his freedom. But the reason why there are a bunch of ppl over there saying, 'hey man, don't do it/think about this first', is because he is not directly affected by deciding not to lend his talents to the NFL and turning the gig down.

*The use of 'gig' in no way diminishes the platform. No one is clueless enough to not see the superbowl as a big deal. A luxury resort is still a damn resort.

3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    The end of the day difference is that the NFL IS a player's career! This one gig is not Travis', nor any other artist deciding to silently 'join the movement' by not using their platform in association with the NFL. Hell, back when Paul Robeson and Dorothy Dandridge were fighting Hollywood's one track depiction of blacks as maids and butlers, they boycotted the roles. They didn't expect all of the black people who earned their actual livings in domestic roles to up and quit for the cause!

Travis, like every other black artist opting out, doesn't NEED this like an NFL player NEEDS his livelihood. What is the use of the 90% (not being literal) of black men who comprise and earn their livings in the NFL being unemployed? Entertainers, who aren't dependent upon the NFL for a check, on the other hand, can easily say, 'I'm standing in solidarity with a movement going on around me', if he so chooses. He won't miss a meal because of it.

That said, idc if he does the gig or not. I don't know anything about this young man, other than the fact that I wouldn't exactly be looking to him for decision making cues about anything besides a weed man. What I will say though, is I don't remember ppl giving Chrisette Michelle any support while she was getting dragged up and down the underground railroad for accepting that quick gig. Ijs.