Barbershop Anxiety

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Champagne Papi, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    Do you lot sometimes experience anxiety or some sort of discomfort when going to the shop?

One of my close friends asked me to go to the barbershop with him this Saturday. After I told him that I wouldn't but that I'd text my barber for him and let him know that he'd be coming, he expressed to me that he doesn't want to go alone and that he feels a sense of panic when entering the shop alone.

Now, I haven't got that many close gay/sgl/bi friends, so the ones I do come across, I try to keep....because if it was a straight friend of mine, that n*gga would be left to fend for himself.

I want to say no so badly because a n*gga doesn't have time to sit in the shop at 3pm on a Saturday....you know how many dudes are trying to get a cut on a Saturday?!

I don't know what to tell him so I could be like, "go my young grasshopper" and he feel comfortable enough to go alone.

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I would ask him, "how is going to the shop with you going to resolve your problem?"

Also what is his anxiety or panic rooted in.

ControlledXaos and Champagne Papi dapped this.
  3. redsai84

redsai84 For the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    i would tell his ass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] lol but only cuz if you go with him this time he may want you to go next time too. i kinda know how he feels i get nervous when going to a new place and having to talk to ppl but the only way i find to get over it is to go do it. anyway who the hell wants to be in a shop at 3 in the evening that like being stuck in rush hour traffic.

Champagne Papi dapped this.
  4. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I sometimes have anxiety but not to the point that I need someone to go with me. Its mostly cause I don't have a regular barber. I irregularly go to one particular barbershop and go to one barber if his there if not I let one of the others cut. I usually shape-up and trim my own hair and just go for a full haircut. So the anxiety comes form not going for so long and not sure what the barber will think of my hair. Also if I go to someone new, will he mess my hair up like push my hairline back. I also wash and shampoo my hair before I go. One of my old barbers always thanked me for doing that.

5. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    The only time I'm anxious about going into a barbershop is if I'm going to one I've never been to before, and that's less about the environment and more about the quality of cut lol. I've been moving around the last few years and finding a new barber is STRESSFUL! Especially because most times I don't know anyone that lives there and I have to either Google or randomly just drive by to find one.

Also, I definitely wouldn't just go to sit in a barbershop and not get a cut, that makes you looks weird and suspect. Not to mention the massive waste of time.

alton dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    How long does this take?

I just call a certain Great Clips(to reserve my place so by the time I get there they are ready for me), get there, stop and place an order at the Chinese place next door, go in the Great Clips, get my hair cut(ten minutes max), give them my $6.99 coupon and a ten dollar bill, leave, go next door and get my food that is ready, and I am done. This would not be different even without the bald spot and some thinning and all.

7. tigerbreaux

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but are you black and/or have black hair? Cause nah. None of this sounds even remotely similar to the typical black barber experience lol.

8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Nope and Nope. That is why I asked 'how long does this take?' I know nothing of this experience I will admit and I am curious about it.

* maybe I need to put a signature or something with my avatar. I am one of them.

And I have brown hair with some salt and pepper(more pepper than salt). I have a goatee-more pepper than salt also (thanks to Just For Men Mustache and Beard) the goatee has to match the hair. I have had my goatee for 25 years and I will not get rid of it.

9. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    "I've been moving around the last few years and finding a new barber is STRESSFUL! "
    It really is, dude. Most muhf@#kaz would see that and be like..."f@#k is you talkin' bout?! Just go to a barber and get yo' sh!t cut, nikka", but I'm funny about who touches my head, and you just never know if you gonna get the ONE wack a$$ barber out of the bunch. When I finally do find a barber I like, I tend to stick with him. I've only had 3 barbers cut my hair over the past 15yrs.

SB3 dapped this.
  10. tigerbreaux

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I figured lol. If I get out of the babershop in under an hour it's an achievement lol. Appointments are just for show, and it takes like 30min to get a cut.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  11. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I learned to cut my own hair. I don't like barber shops either but thats just me being not as sociable as I should.

I used to go all the time when my mom took me. Then as I got older and the years passed, I learned how to cut my own hair.

Some people just might not be comfy around "strangers" and may feel more secure with having someone their they know to talk to.

Anxiety is a beast.

When I was younger, my best friend had me go a lot of places with him because he felt uncomfy & I would go. Idk if Id do it like I did when I was younger today though lol.

Some people have the time & patience to do it, some don't. I wouldnt mind for a friend if I was free to do it.

12. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I live in South Florida and there are times that I feel anxiety when going to the barber shop - only because most of the barbers here are jamacian and they are very homophobic and they speak patios (pat-wha) and from time to time I hear across the shop from one of the dudes dressed in ripped jeans and way too many rings on their fingers with some kinds of blond dye in their hair yell - Baty Mon (the word Fag*ot in patios).

Funny thing is - if there was a text book example of how a gay man looks or carry themselves their picture would be right next to that image. Many jamacian men dress and carry themselves in a very effeminate manner. I wonder who they are talking about... For the record, my barber told me that this is common word choice and they mean no harm by it. HE does not partake in the occasional use of the word Baty.

alton dapped this.
  13. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    "Patois"....sorry, I'm a "Grammar Nazi". LOL

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  14. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I'm practically bald now so I can't remember my last trip to a barbershop. Guess I'll exit this conversation with the quickness...

15. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
  16. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    The only time I get anxious going to a barbershop is if I'm going for the first time and I don't know anyone and have to figure out which barber might do a good job. I know for sure I'm not waiting for somebody to go with me. Don't have that kind of time.

mojoreece dapped this.