Black Mexicans

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Tyroc, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    The black people 'erased from history'
    I found this an intersesting read and a little known or cared about bit of fact.
    [​IMG]
    More than a million people in Mexico are descended from African slaves and identify as "black", "dark" or "Afro-Mexican" even if they don't look black. But beyond the southern state of Oaxaca they are little-known and the community's leaders are now warning of possible radical steps to achieve official recognition.

"The police made me sing the national anthem three times, because they wouldn't believe I was Mexican," says Chogo el Bandeno, a black Mexican singer-songwriter.

"I had to list the governors of five states too."

He was visiting the capital, Mexico City, hundreds of miles from his home in southern Mexico, when the police stopped him on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.

Fortunately his rendition of the anthem and his knowledge of political leaders convinced the police to leave him alone, but other Afro-Mexicans have not been so fortunate.

[​IMG]
    Chogo el Bandeno (right) with visiting Malian musician Lassana Diabate
    Clemente Jesus Lopez, who runs the government office in charge of Afro-Mexicans in Oaxaca state, recalls two separate cases, both involving women.

"One was deported to Honduras and the other to Haiti because the police insisted that in Mexico there are no black people. Despite having Mexican ID, they were deported."

With the help of the Mexican consulates they were able to return but were offered no apology or compensation, Lopez says.

[​IMG]
    Black Mexicans have been living in the Costa Chica area, on the Pacific coast of Oaxaca, since their ancestors were brought from Africa as slaves in the 16th Century.

Colonial Spanish cattle ranchers often used them as foremen, in charge of indigenous Mexican workers who were not used to animals the size of cows or horses.

[​IMG]
    Black cowboy, Antonio Prudente Lopez, says about 10% of Santiago Llano Grande share his profession
    But outside the Costa Chica area there is little awareness of their existence.

An interim census in 2015 indicated a black population of 1.4 million, or 1.2% of the Mexican population. Even in Oaxaca state they only account for 5% of the total.

The Salon - Every haircut has a story

Where are you going? - The surprising answers to a simple question

Default World - The morals of the technical elite

Why I'm Not Just Blind - Must blind people be either inspirational or deserving pity?

#BBCIdentity.

The Afro-Mexicans is broadcast on the BBC World Service from 04:00 GMT on Sunday 10 April - catch up on BBC iPlayer Radio

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

Jaa, grownman, OckyDub and 4 others dapped this.
  2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Read this today and thought about posting it...and here it is. I can't believe they just deported those people, who were legitimate citizens, to other nations, because there are no 'Black Mexicans'....WTF?-and then they don't even get an apology when they are 'allowed' back in? How can there be so few black Mexicans (1.2 percent) when the hispanics in the US regularly claim 'black' as ethnicity at twice the rate? Is there that great of as difference between the two?

3. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    Sadly that doesn't seem so surprising to me and as for an apology...
    Inglourious Basterds - laugh.gif
    I'm not sure about how regularly Hispanics in the U.S. choose black as an ethnicity.
    I'm also not sure of the actual numbers but I think it's a pretty small number and most likely center in places like NYC or Chicago.

grownman and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I looked it up and found 2.5 % or something like that. It seems most claimed white or other. This is from wiki.

Hispanic and Latino Americans by race (2010)[50]
    Race
    Population % of all Hispanic
    and Latino Americans

White 26,735,713 53.0
    Some other race
    (mestizo, mulatto, etc.) 18,503,103 36.7
    Two or more races 3,042,592 6.0
    Black 1,243,471 2.5
    American Indian and Alaska Native 685,150 1.4
    Asian 209,128 0.4
    Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 58,437 0.1
    Total 50,477,594 100.

grownman dapped this.
  5. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    Yeah this is one of those "in my own experiences" but I can't count how many folks darker than myself or with tightly curled hair will have the most pronounced accents despite having lived here most of their lives
    will look you dead in the eye and claim 0 black heritage.

grownman and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I have really had only one experience with this type of thing-the first black guy I dated was from the Dominican Republic. He was definitely black and claimed black as race, and culturally he said he was hispanic. He had an accent and I asked him where he was from originally and he said The Dominican Republic and that was it. I don't remember him ever using the term 'Dominican' at all. He did have a Spanish name.-I think it is one of the most common ones-Garcia.

grownman and Tyroc dapped this.
  7. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    There are also significant populations of Black Mexicans in Veracruz on the Atlantic Coast and in Northern Mexico on the border with Texas.

#7 Sean P, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Discordant and Tyroc dapped this.
  8. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    This is something i wondered about.I've noticed people from this are sometimes looking like black people but wasnt entirely sure how that came about.

9. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    I come from that old school Paul Mooney 1 drop rule where
    if you full lips - black ancestry!
    if you have a complexion darker than olive - black ancestry!
    if your hair curls in humidity - black ancestry!
    if when angry you say muthafu@ka - black ancestry!
    if you ever feel anxious or nervous in front of the police - black ancestry!

Discordant, grownman and DreG dapped this.
  10. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    At my former place of employment. Their was a guy with skin tone and hair "nappier" than mine. He had a Hispanic last name "Ramirez" their version of "Smith" and "Brown."

I, assumed as I sometimes do we were past"did you see Stephen Curry last night?" So, I asked homebody how did he see himself. " He looked at me strange-so I asked "what is your ethinic background?" You would have thought I asked him if he was gay. He stuttered and stammered. He said black but wanted to be indentified as Dominican only.

ColumbusGuy and Tyroc dapped this.
  11. callie_bear_3

callie_bear_3 Lurker

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This is pretty common in Latin America. Any country affected by Spanish colonization has sistemic problems with race given that the Spanish empire ran its colonies on the basis of limpieza de sangre or purity of blood or whatever. Basically slaves were used all over the new world, but identifying, not even enfranchisement but just acceptance, of a black/native population as these colonies came about their independence was unacceptable and even laughable. Look at Argentina who for most of its history has consistently denied to acknowledge even the presence of black people in their country, despite their main port Buenos Aires being the gateway for many slaves into the interior of Spanish South America. I mean tango their claim to fame was a dance started by the black communities on the Rio de la Plata region of Uruguay and Argentina. And it's now coming to light that many black communities were forced into rural areas or into obscure poverty, in a sort of genocidal fashion, for nature to eventually ween out the "lesser" of the competing species. Most of Latin America "whitens" its history and claims blacks are only "problems" for the Carribean and Brazil. You could throw a stone with your eyes closed and hit so many articles on the Internet to back me up here.

Discordant, Tyroc and grownman dapped this.
  12. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I am familiar with the majority of this-but I didn't know about the tango.