Brokeback Boy: TOO Much Baggage

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by Nigerian Prince, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    The craziest thing happened just on the eve of 2016 when I reached back out to this handsome 26 y.o. Cuban & Puerto Rican guy I was flirting with on Jack'd....

We started talking and it was all good then I asked him why did we stop talking for so long. He thought it was because I was no longer interested in him. The funniest thing is that I thought he felt the same way about me. He then proceeds to tell me that he is a disaster and I ask him why he should say that. He says that I seem to be very grounded while he is not grounded at all. Then he proceeds to tell me that he is HIV+.

I told him that his HIV+ status does not make him a bad person. Then he told me that I deserve better than him. I felt like it was a sad situation. But yeah we wished each other well. He told me to stay focused on school and that the right guy will come along for me. He says that I deserve better. I told him to keep grinding and hustling and he told me that he will continue to do that.

Then a friend of mine off of here told me that excessive baggage is never fair though. I agreed but still felt sad at what could have been. We spoke for a few days then I got busy with final exam period last year so we fell off.

I know that in dating/relationships that both parties should want to help each other out, help each other grow/mature and compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses. There does come a point when you are helping someone out but then there comes a point when it all becomes a burden.

I want to ask you guys the question of how much baggage is too much baggage? Tell me about your experiences or the experiences of your other gay/bi friends that were in relationships you felt they:

1) tried to take on too much and ended up playing "Mr. Captain Save-A-Ho".
    OR
    2) the relationship benefitted both parties since they both uplifted each other

NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  2. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That is sad..hoping for the best for him. I too had an encounter with someone right before the New Year. A guy on whisper of all places messaged me after a post I had put up about being gay. He was 17 and had gone through a lot already, physically, emotionally...really felt for him and told him he could message me any time of he needed to talk. Haven't heard from him since the New Year, might see how he's doing.

There was never any intention of a relationship, just two guys discussing life problems but to answer your question if I were to meet someone with lots of baggage at this point in my life I wouldn't be interested romantically. I know that sounds bad and I do care about others and their problems it's just that it depends. Growing up I (like everyone) have had my fair share of problems, but one thing about me is that I've always been the type of person to attract people that cling to you need they see you care about their issues and quite frankly it can be exhausting. I was the one that would talk to the weird kid everyone else ignored or always be the one cheering people up when I saw they were down and Helping others when no one else would. Not saying this to brag but to drive home the point that at some point I would like to be the one being encouraged for once..or least let it be equal like you said. I feel like in most of my relationships (non romantic) I do a lot of the work. No one's perfect and especially as gay men there's bound to be some kind of past drama to deal with...but I don't want the reason I continue a romantic relationship with you is due to me feeling sorry for you or obligated. Does any of that make sense?

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah that makes sense. I just think it all has to be reciprocal. We both have to be carrying our own weight. No one is perfect but when it is too much it gets to be too much.

cypher21 dapped this.
  4. Dr. Strange

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Hmm, to share an anecdote with you. I once was feeling a dude (rare I know) that was HIV+. What's funny is that it seemed to be heavier on him rather than me. According to him, he couldn't "let loose" around me, he was always on guard to "protect" me from him. His mental state is what did it for us, he just couldn't get pass being on guard with me which was stressful for him.

I don't think I have enough experience to know what's "too much baggage" except for the basics of being on somewhat even territory. But I think I can work with someone who's progressively working to progress themselves.

Jdudre and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah at the end of the day sometimes we all get down. Sometimes we get depressed. But at the end of the day, we are all a work in progress.

Dr. Strange dapped this.
  6. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I think everyone has their threshold. For some having children may be too much baggage, or maybe having too many exes. Everyone has their limit and we must not guilt those that express those limits unapologetically.

Baggage to me is relative. One persons mess can be another's masterpiece.

I think everyone has tried to save someone or saw more in their partner than they saw in themselves. I think that's common but I also think we have to learn to invest into a person that's investing in themselves and stop trying to will someone to be great. I've been guilty of that.

#6 NickAuzenneNOLA, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  7. Nigerian Prince

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Very true. For example, a guy like me who is a gay virgin may want someone who has plenty of experience in the bedroom because they want the first time to be very good lol. Then on the other hand, someone does not want a dude that has slept all over town because of whatever reason like STIs/HIV scares or what not. I met a Nigerian guy while in Houston that randomly told me he contracted gonorrhea but had it cured because at one point in his life he was H*E. I was cool with him wanting to change for himself. I know for me that being a 26 year old virgin is not common in the gay/bi world (even the str8 world too).

Also, that 2nd point is good because many people can get into dating "potential". But the main thing to understand is that you cannot want success or positivity more for someone than they want it for themselves.

NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  8. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was actually in a very similar situation. I was talking to this HIV+ dude for a while. It took a little bit to adjust, but after a while I was cool with it. The problem was, he never was. He was so wrapped up in it that he could never fully accept himself. It's understandable. That's a major event. But I couldn't be there to constantly pick up the pieces every single time. I would never leave someone I truly cared for because they were suffering from a mental health issue, but I felt like he wasn't even trying to better himself. He would just wallow in it and then expect me to fix it. It was exhausting and I couldn't deal with it, so it ended. That's where the problem layed.

In terms of baggage generally, everyone has it. I don't think you're going to find someone who is 100% okay no matter who they are or what they look like. It comes down to whether or not they have a personal commitment to self-growth. It's okay to be there to support your dude and help him out in difficult situations, but it should never get to the point where it feels like you're carrying the entire burden or they rely on you to fix everything. That's a recipe for an unhealthy codependent relationship.

Sage, Tyroc, Nigerian Prince and 3 others dapped this.