Christian Keyes Urges Gay Men To Stop Sliding In His DMs And Gets Roasted On Twitter

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Nick Delmacy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    010319-celebrities-christian-keyes-gay-men-twitter.jpg

Actor and model Christian Keyes, best known for his stints in Tyler Perry's infamous stage plays, recently took to social media to issue what is being widely dubbed as a brazenly tone-deaf PSA to the LGBT community — specifically gay men.

The rant, which saw him urge his gay admirers to "respect his truth" in return for him "respecting" theirs, fell flat for many, who took to Twitter to drag him for his approach in addressing the matter.

Keyes, who currently plays an LGBT-identifying character on the widely popular series Legends of Tomorrow, felt the need to take to Instagram to end any speculation that he could be anything other than heterosexual.

In a more succinct scope, he expressed his discomfort with his gay fans approaching him aggressively on social media — specifically, in his DMs.

"This might get me in trouble, but, oh well," he started. "It needs to be addressed. Respect the people's truths. I got nothing but love for all our brothers and sisters in the gay community. Period."

He followed this preface with a statement that served as the problematic words that instantaneously angered several members of the gay community who found his comments to lack any sensitivity or authentic "love," as he adamantly expressed.

"It ain't my business. That's between you, who you love, and God," he said. "With that being said, and respecting each other's truth — If I respect yours, respect mine. Gentlemen, let's not be in the comment section with the eggplant emojis and the sexual comments. I'm not a fan of that."

The actor went on to add that, while he appreciates his gay fans supporting his work, the sexually charged comments he has been receiving have proven to be "too aggressive."

"If I respect your truth, respect mine," he continued. "We don't need to be harassin' nobody and doing all of that, man... I say, let's not do that, and let's just respect who people are, genuinely. I think that's a fair request."

Upon posting the extensive rant, Keyes disabled all comments on the post. Take a look, below:

Almost immediately after posting the video, he was — justifiably, as some would say — slammed for his unconstructive approach to a scenario that several other heterosexual male actors have experienced themselves.

Furthermore, several found issue with him portraying an LGBT-identifying character on one of the most widely viewed series on prime-time television while simultaneously expressing these contradicting views.

See how Twitter reacted, below:

Cyrus-Brooks and Juan-Carlos dapped this.
  2. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I actually saw this when it was posted and Christian knew he would receive some sort of backlash as he stated he would before diving into his comment. I hate to even say that I understand where some of these gay people are coming from because a lot of it is ignorance. I have two straight brothers and neither of them harass or berate gay people in any capacity. They're both attractive and I've seen gay dudes be very disrespectful to them AFTER they've made it clear they're straight and uninterested in being approached in a romantic way by a man. One dude, at a bowling alley, actually had the nerve to call my oldest brother DL simply because my brother wouldn't flirt with him. It's as if some gay men can't accept the fact that there are STRAIGHT men who have zero interest in the sexual advances of gay men no matter how sexy the gay man is.

Second, what is wrong with Christian telling gay men that he's straight and that he finds it disturbing that they are leaving eggplant and water emojis in his comments on his social media? As a straight man, he doesn't want that type of material on HIS page and it's disturbing that gay men feel attacked simply for him requesting it. For him to make a video post about it, i'm sure there have been repeat offenders who have ignored his private requests to cease with that activity. As a gay man myself, I've been on the end of unrelenting ass and dick pics after I've said i'm uninterested. It's just plain disrespectful and gay dudes shouldn't get a pass for being gay. It's the equivalent of some gay men thinking it's ok to grab the genitalia of other men at parties as if that's not sexual assault. Now all of a sudden, the man is a homophobe despite the fact he has associated with gay people in Hollywood, played gay characters, participated in Tyler Perry plays etc. So now, you shouldn't play a gay character if you don't want to be sexually harassed by gay men repeatedly without prompting? Get the fuck outta here. So I guess straight actors will revert back to the good ole days of bypassing gay roles since gay dudes are too ignorant to separate an actors role from his real life.

Bottom line is some gay people refuse to respect other peoples boundaries. Social media makes some of us act like fools. We wouldn't do some of this to a person's face but it's ok to disrespect people online. Gay people don't understand that it's this type of stuff that builds resentment in the straight community. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

3. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I get what christian was saying He said respect boundaries. :thinking:But then again he didn't ask women folk to do the same thing.

Him wanting to become a more mainstream actor as well as playing a gay character; i don't know if this is something I would have put out.
    :gucci:

U telling someone to not post something on the internet will not stop ppl from doing it anyway. Sometimes I think celebs should discuss the stuff they post with a publicist 1st.

#3 mojoreece, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. RolandG

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    Why aren't you understanding that he doesn't have to ask women to do the same thing if he is STRAIGHT? If he were married and asked women to stop sending him naked pictures, would you say he should ask his wife to stop sending him naked pictures too? He is STRAIGHT and doesn't want men sending him sexual messages and leaving inappropriate comments on his Instagram. There is nothing wrong with that. The fact that some of us are still telling him he should be ok with it makes me understand his frustration.

5. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Lol. “It’s time for America’s favorite game show, Celebrity Suspends Social Media Account After Hot Take! Gay community, come on down, you’re the next contestant!!”

I agree with @RolandG and @mojoreece but again, this is why, especially in social media age, celebrities need to have qualified agents and handlers etc to man their social media presence and stop treating PR like it’s a DIY project on HGTV. Not everyone is capable of dealing or speaking appropriately to their audience in a direct manner. Dude is just the victim of good intentions but bad execution.

6. RolandG

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    No he's not a victim and we shouldn't need PR machines in order to tell gay dudes to stop being disrespectful. The man said stop sending it and so gay dudes need to stop sending those types of messages and stop being butt hurt because someone doesn't wanna entertain us sexually.

7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    @RolandG lol you really think telling people on the internet what to do is going to cause them to do it?

[​IMG]

I agree that gay men can come on strong to straight men and not take no for an answer and leave it at that. However gay men have a big problem with not knowing how to properly deal with rejection period.

If you're starting your post with "I'm probably going to get into trouble with this..."maybe you do need to run that by your agent or pr team first.

"Hey thanks guys for the compliments! While I'm not gay or bi myself, I appreciate your following and... Enthusiasm for my posts. But please respect me as I respect you in return." or something.

I'm sure he could have asked a fellow c lister how they handle this. I imagine most of them ignore it.

8. RolandG

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    Now this was the funniest commercial EVER. lol And again, you said the same thing he said. Welcome to the PC world where PR people get paid millions to sugar coat the message "leave me the fuck alone".

9. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    Look if one wants to be a celebrity on a particular level the trade off is going to be becoming a bit PC. I don't make the rules. 15 years ago this would blow over. Now that gays are more visible and out you can't go shooting off the hip like that.

It's not what you say but how you say it. He knew he was going to catch flack before he hit send so I don't feel sorry for him in the least.

These straight men on social media from low tier thirst traps to A list actors know good and damned well they have gay followers. Some of them roll with the punches and keep it moving. Some of them post sweat pants videos and "for ladies only" in the bio and then act surprised when men hit on them or slide in the DMs.

Gay Bi Straight or Non heterosexual, a lot of men DGAF, they'll shoot the shot regardless.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  10. RolandG

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    I feel like you're putting the responsibility on him to be PC and not on gay men not to be disrespectful and thirsty as hell. True, some straight men know they have a large gay following and cater to it to some degree because they like the money. If they get nasty DMs then so be it. All Christian is saying is he does not want it. Now will that stop folk from being thirsty? Hell No but he should be able to be clear about what he wants and doesn't want. Just because he knew he was going to catch flack before he sent it doesn't mean what he said was wrong. He understands how the gay police works but if he feels like people are disrespecting him continuously as a man, he has every right to speak out. This man ain't done nothing wrong. Period!!!!!!

11. ControlledXaos

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]

12. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I get it. There's thirsty people and there are the GAYS who are thirsty lol.

But I am over the publicity of it. He is better off saying "People, stop sending nasty shit to me on social media" and call it a day.

Winston Smith and mojoreece dapped this.
  13. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    No one is saying he (or you) was wrong. Stepping back from the whole whole gay/straight thing, the issue is sexual harassment and he obviously considers the postings to be harassment. That’s valid, as we often focus on male vs female harassment and ignore the fact that harassment can be same sex (Kevin Spacey*cough*cough*Bryan Singer*).

Just like labor case law says that a black person who calls *another* black person a nigger in the workplace can be charged with racial discrimination, you have a valid point that gay men need to be mindful of harassment toward other men, as well.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  14. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with what he said but I can see how his tone could be perceived as disdaining and cause some...
    [​IMG]

15. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    The only thing he said that was side eye worthy was 'that's between you and god'. But hey, maybe he is a bible thumper when it's convenient, like 90% of the women who make up his audience for the urban plays he's known for. But all of this 'he plays a gay role', and 'he's a homophob(ic)' is ridiculous. Thirsty, basic ass gays doing what they do best.

Now, I def say that he'd have been better off just ignoring it like everyone else does, but this is #fakenews !

People SHOULD be berating these stretch Armstrong ass gays for perpetuating the bs that keeps feeding ppl reasons to be like, 'the gays are always _____'.

Franky dapped this.
  16. Franky

Franky Dreamer by day, Dreamer by night

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    Very well said RolandG. My sentiments exactly.

Juan-Carlos dapped this.
  17. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Franky and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  18. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Both Ellen and Kevin will be just peachy.

Sometimes it best not to fan the flames. I like the celebrities who don't ever respond to the mob. Mob rules are fucking dumb and people on the internet being offended for everything is a way of life in our current era.

What I don't like is straight people pretending to be allies and affirming, actors willing to use gayness and don the costume of gay to advance their careers and then all of a sudden get all bent out of shape with DMs or advances which were not likely to be very many. I will never understand why people get mad at folks that do not know them other than the pictures they post on Instagram or the characters they play on TV.

19. Juan-Carlos

Juan-Carlos Opps are dealt with by a savage Thanos snap. HNY
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Facts and mos def agree with you @RolandG on Christian's position and your commentary. Boundaries must be respected and set. I have no doubt that Christian is an ally/advocate for tha community and to say otherwise is a way to shame him and forceably pin that scarlet letter A for asshole on his chest.

20. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the video. He firmly stated his wishes without backhanded disrespect.

The reality is that he doesn't want dick in his inbox and the gays are mad. Everybody's not gay....or even curious for that matter.

mojoreece dapped this.
  21. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Dude is just lame as fuck to me anyway if he is a "celebrity/actor" reading comments on his page. And if you do read them, responding to them or getting offended by them is even more lame to me when you are a public entertaining person.

Isn't one of the first rules in celebrity 101 is not to respond or engage in negative bull shit on social media? In particular when they're just words. Be that disrespectful words, pics or not. Its one thing if he's out in public and get disrespected or aggressively hit on by some thirsty (probably overweight) gay idiot. You have to check them quickly. But words in your DM's? Nicca fuck outta here!!

Can you imagine how many gay desperate dudes probably say all kind of shit to Idris Elba? You don't see him responding. Why would any celebrity respond? Your only gonna get the kind of bull shit responses he did.

Dude, go sit yo big head ass down somewhere and be glad anyone including those desperate, lonely, thirsty, gays are even in your DMs.

22. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    But he's not even that hot....He's a typical Yella light dude with a decent gym body.

I make comments about some good loolimg ones but for the most part, straight dudes are never on my radar at all but I guess some folks be thirsty like that...lol

Ain't nobody checking for him...even tho I do agree that he needs to be respected. I don't want dicks in my DMs either and I like peen. Negro I don't know you...get up out my DMs.

23. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    One thing people fail to realize is that the internet enables bad behavior and public rejection of that bad behavior will likely only perpetuate further bad behavior. Folks are liberated and free when they are online, and they can be whoever they want and say whatever they want. When anyone signs up for anything on the internet, they are signing up for the bad stuff that comes with the net, including trolls. Ain’t shit you can do about it but get off the internet. I’d be the asshole who would send him my dick pic and ask him to suck it just because he said not to. Lol