Conversations about the State of R&B in 2017

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by Nigerian Prince, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    When I tell you that I LOVED this discussion!

I love hearing artists and producers perspectives about the urban music industry and the state of R&B! The short 3 part videos featuring music industry influencers like LaShawn Daniels (Grammy Award winning producer), Sevyn Streeter (singer/songwriter), Elijah Blake (singer/songwriter), Rachel Kerr (UK singer/songwriter) and Harmony Samuels (Grammy Nominated producer) are below:

In the 1990s, R&B matured in a way a man or woman who has found their stride in life would. Fronted by artists with impeccable vocal abilities, performance technique and star power and backed by major labels, the ’90s saw R&B reign supreme. Music industry influencers LaShawn Daniels (Grammy Award winning producer), Sevyn Streeter (singer/songwriter), Elijah Blake (singer/songwriter), Rachel Kerr (UK singer/songwriter) and Harmony Samuels (Grammy Nominated producer) discuss the impact of 90’s R&B. The group discusses icons like Brandy while also paying homage to our Soul Train Awards honorees Toni Braxton and SWV.

Technology has changed the music business. Now the way music is created, consumed and experienced has changed. Sonically, R&B is more explorative and discovery tools (streaming services) and social media have been key platforms to showcasing the genre's versatility and influence. We’ll discuss what’s working, what’s interesting and what’s developing. Watch as music industry influencers LaShawn Daniels, Sevyn Streeter, Elijah Blake, Rachel Kerr and Harmony Samuels dish on the new model of R&B.

What is music’s role in today’s turbulent social and political times and people’s everyday lives? Based on the theme of this year’s Soul Train Awards, “Music heals the soul,” we end the series with an introspective conversation about the transformative power of R&B/soul music. Watch as LaShawn Daniels, Sevyn Streeter, Elijah Blake, Rachel Kerr and Harmony Samuels discuss the powers of R&B music. The conversation takes you on a journey of vulnerability, being authentic and trusting the process.

Cyrus-Brooks, mojoreece and jusrawb dapped this.
  2. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Great Dialogue

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. Aejae

Aejae Socially Awkward Aejae
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I just hate how R&B is not as popular as it should be years ago. There are still alot is artists today who should be getting just about the Dame recognition as previous singers been getting years ago. I've always considered myself an R&B baby and not only do I enjoy the new music that comes out nowadays, I also love going back in time listening to.... well almost everyone. I just think that there needs to be certain personalities that need to promote R&B the way that hip hop is today.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  4. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Most of the R&B I like now is very independently released. Like The Foreign Exchange is good. It's rare for me to like some commercial R&B that's good.

I like Tamar Braxton's new album.

I feel R&B sadly got meshed with trap music for someone unknown reason. Ugh.

Goldentree and Nigerian Prince dapped this.