Could douching help to prevent HIV among gay men?

Discussion in 'Sex and Adult' started by OckyDub, Oct 22, 2015.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Could douching help to prevent HIV among gay men? - Gay Star News

Douching with a special gel could help to prevent HIV among men who have sex with men, scientists have said.

A research group have said by using a ‘rectal microbicide’ while using an enema could be a new step in preventing HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

While it wouldn’t be a failsafe option, they say, it could be seen as a ‘new option for HIV prevention’.

Brandon Brown, assistant medicine professor at University of California, said as gay and bisexual men were far more likely to douche anyway, it only makes sense for them to include a gel that could make sex safer.

‘Unfortunately, little is known about rectal douching practices among men who have sex with men and trans women and the damage such practices may cause.’

While enemas are useful for feeling cleaner, they do have a risk. As they can cause trauma to the rectum, anal sex after douching could actually increase the risk for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

Brown and his team examined 415 gay and bisexual men and 68 trans women in Lima, Peru. Participants completed a self-administrated interview on how and if they douche before sex.

It found 18% of participants had douched before having sex in the last six months, as published in Aids and Behavior.

‘We found that men who douched prior to sex did it primarily for hygiene and pleasure,’ Brown said. ‘We should capitalize on these reasons to increase this practice and eventually include a rectal microbicide for HIV prevention.’

He added: ‘The more we know about rectal douching practices, the better situated we will be for developing interventions with rectal microbicides.’

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Would you use this gel or say fuck and just use a condom?:fantasia:

PrepNoir dapped this.
  3. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    :whut:

PrepNoir and SB3 dapped this.
  4. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I might be a lil partial, but I say, say yes and always trust any and everything someone named Brandon Brown tells you!

But for real, Im all for options, but in the meantime, just put a damn condom on. Not all men even douche.

PrepNoir and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. A O'Neal

A O'Neal Lurker

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm all for new ideas when comes to hiv/std prevention but I'm comfortable with using condoms. With the current sexual practices now, condoms have become somewhat obsolete with the rising practice of raw sex among MSM, so the same could be said with this gel..

So I'm up in the air with this new endeavor and who knows what the outcome may bring. Only time will tell but till then #TeamCondom

6. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Hell...It's 2015. We have IPhones, electric cars, and have discovered water on Mars. Maybe someone needs to invent an "adapter" so dudes can get it on without having to worry about stuff like this. Lesbians have all kinds of options. You can call it a "Chinese D*** Trap" lol

7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Actually... There is a sex toy just like that. It's basically like a reusable condom made out of silicone. Search for "inception sheath"

Anyway... I'm all for alternative ways for preventing HIV but people who are not going to use condoms should at least have multiple forms of non condom HIV measures going on simultaneously. Though there seems to be a lot of effort being put into not using condoms and I'm not sure why people are going out of their way to avoid using them. They are simple, effective, and cheap. Cheap enough that you can even get some for free with little effort.

I'm trying to figure out who is getting trauma with enema use tho. Isn't a penis going to cause more trauma than an enema unless you are just not paying attention when inserting it?

DreG dapped this.
  8. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't get the logic behind it. How does microbicide fight a virus? And I feel like douching before sex would increase the risk of HIV because you're making the skin more sensitive and easier to tear. I'm gonna need to see some studies,