Documentary - Forbidden Games: The Justin Fashanu Story

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by Juan-Carlos, Mar 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, for sure.

50.0%
  2. Nah, not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

50.0%
  1. Juan-Carlos

Juan-Carlos Opps are dealt with by a savage Thanos snap. HNY
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    So, on this rainy Sunday, I did my Netflix random dive thing and did run across an interesting documentary called, "Forbidden Games: The Justin Fashanu Story. I'll keep it super brief for I don't want to reveal too much. Justin is of Nigerian heritage in England and a fatherless child abandoned by his mother left to foster care. He and his brother are taken in by a white family and raised together. He later becomes a successful soccer athlete with a secret. There is, of course, some drama while he tries to make an ardent career comeback. There's more drama involving sex scandals, a broken relationship with a competitive brother, and a desperate move later resulting in an unhappy ending. I connected with him for he's masculine leaning and was keeping aspects of his personal and work life separate-some could say "wearing a mask". There was some vulnerability as he struggled with that just as most of us had or did or do. I respect that fact that later he was courageous to be himself and unapologetic about it. I also respect his heart for he was driven and focused. I was saddened by the relationship with his brother John which will be further revealed in the doc. Fam is important to me and when it comes to the immediate is the ties that bind. Just wanted to share and pass this along. It is a story of success and beating the odds that forked into another direction based on his choices/actions. There's certainly a take away after watching the film.
    jf.jpg
    fash_3481801b.jpg

#1 Juan-Carlos, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    I just finished watching this documentary. Justin Fashanu's life ended tragically; he had so much potential.

Juan-Carlos dapped this.
  3. Juan-Carlos

Daps Received:
    Facts. So, many regrets. Can tell his brother's heart is broken , too.

4. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    You can tell that his brother couldn't bare talking about how he reacted to Justin's coming out story. The last bit when Justin was doing an interview and he said something along the lines of he wishes he'll see his brother again and they'll kiss and hug, and he'll tell him that he miss him....I cried thug tears forreal lol

Another important lesson: hard work beats talent any day. Justin was the rising star of soccer, compared to John who was average to mediocre. However, John rose to stardom slowly but surely and consistently while Justin's ego coupled with the personality conflict within himself eventually killed him and his career.

Juan-Carlos dapped this.
  5. Juan-Carlos

Daps Received:
    Yeah, John knew he was an asshole to his bro and now it's too late. It was sad and you saw the regret. My eyes did well up a bit but I can't see 'em comin' down my eyes. So, I gotta make the song cry. I agree also for John earned his position. He didn't ride off his brother's coattails. .Justin was a bit reckless. I wonder if he stayed on the DL and had a "special friend" what trajectory his career pathing would have gone. Sometimes being silent and minding your motherphukn business is a valid choice. You don't have to be ringing bells and riding floats in parades to show support for the LGBTQIA community. I write checks to service-based orgs that do help the people in the community. My choice to be discreet and not "out" doesn't make me less responsible for being a part of said community. Back to the topic of the documentary, I was curious to see who would be interested to learn more about it as to why I added the poll. Thanx @Infinite_loop for checking it out and sharing your thoughts with me.