Does Technology Complicate Interactions Between Gay Men for Relationships (and Friendship too)?)

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by Nigerian Prince, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I gotta say that if it were not for social media that I would not have an outlet like what I have here on Cypher Avenue. I have grown so much and received tremendous support from many guys on here. I have many relationships with quite a few of the "Day One" Discreet City/Cypher Avenue men offline too, most of which I have had the amazing opportunity to meet in person.

I was just watching a YouTube video on health and fitness but they were doing a Q & A about various topics. One of the side conversations they had was about how if you look back maybe 10 to 15 years ago that you would see kids outside shooting hoops, roller skating, and overall just being more active. I can remember how I used to really enjoy playing outside with my friends back in school (K through 12). It helped me know how to interact with others and understand the importance of teamwork.

I think that today there are many more kids staying online and just playing Madden or some other type of activity that does not allow them to be active. But I thought of how that point might be interesting when it comes to gay men. While I do think that technology has helped us so much when it comes to interacting with one another, I do feel like it can hinder us too.

Of course it helps because on average, we can't just walk up to some random guy we are interested in to speak with him about dating each other because we simply just don't know if he is gay or not so that is what the apps are there for. On the other hand, I think it hinders gay men too because most don't know how to hold a conversation when there is a romantic interest because for one, no one teaches us how to when we are growing up. That can also apply to whether or not you are talking to a guy online or in person.

I do think that it is a compound issue because most begin dating at a later age compared to their heterosexual counterparts then also with technology you really don't know who people are until you meet them in person.

What do you guys think?

2. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Perhaps it starts in the learning environment? We would probably have to see openly gay teenagers, having straight male friends that accept them, going outside, getting involved in extra curricular activities/clubs and openly dating other boys in order to "catch up" with straight counterparts in social situations. Kids spend more time in a social group with each other than they do anywhere else.

keith and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    Someone like me who never liked bars or clubs found technology to be a great way to meet and interact with dudes I would almost never have had the opportunity to meet before.

It also enabled me to see a whole lot of people I knew naked without having to do anything other than clicking on a profile pic!

It's been a minute since I was active on them but I found them at the time to be a bridge.
    Of the literally hundreds of dudes I interacted with, I'm on long term actual friendships with 3.

I was always honest about who I was and what looked like and what I was looking for, which helped as well as hindered.

It was a fun point in my life even though I didn't find what I was looking for at the time, I still enjoyed meeting the many different types
    Even the crazy ones.

The only way I see it really complicates matters is through false expectations but that can happen with meeting someone in person over time as well.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.